• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The DR/DRZ Thread

As far as I know he still works on stuff but has a full time job too. I haven't spoken with Erik in over a couple years but if you can get in touch with him would definitely benefit you. Good luck

Is there anyone in the Bryan/College Station area that knows DRZs? I've had an issue with stumbling under load for a while and the local shop says it's normal for a thumper. I'm not sure if it's jetting or what. Would prefer someone that's got some seat time to give me an opinion.
I have had my 2006 DRZ400 bought new since 2008. Pretty much trouble free, never stumbling. What is the mileage? Do you fill with 10% ethanol gas and drive it enough to burn an entire gas tank in less than a month? If not do you treat the gas with StarTron or Stabil? I have had gas go bad in as little as 6 weeks, making the DRZ hard to start and run poorly. Putting in fresh gas solved that problem. If you use untreated gas with Ethanol there is a high probability that you have sediment in the carb jets that can cause problems. There is also the possibility that the rubbers are bad on either the slide diaphragm or the accelerator pump. I also did the 3x3 upgrade, which involves changes and jetting and needle in addition to opening up the air box and opening up the exhaust. I did the changes years ago, and it was an big improvement. That being said, I have worked on/rebuilt carbs on 2 of my friend's DRZs, and 2 of my own, and they all ran great afterward. If you can get the bike to Buda, I can take a look at yours, and likely fix it. BTW, is it an early DRZ - 2000-2003? I never saw one, but the cam chain tensioner could be an issue to check.

Last edited:
I guess I would have to ask a couple of questions first. Do you have a stock carb and airbox? The stock carb has no accelerator pump is a CV carb and therefore can provide a "stumble" or hesitation when gassing it. If you do mods to the exhaust and do not adjust your jetting/airflow (i.e. 3X3 mod) then that can also do it. Now, if you have done lots of mods, like exhaust, cams, and an FCRMX carb, then it might simply be tuning. We need a bit more information to figure it out. But generally you can fix it pretty easily and cheaply. A JD Jetting jet kit would be a good start no matter which carb you have and they fix a lot of that. But, best bang for you $800 or so is the FCR-MX carb. Oh yeah, also Erik Marquez is the guy to talk to if you want someone to fix it for you. He had helped me on several occasions when I needed advice or obscure parts. He always knows the right answer. Good guy, let us know how this come out.

IMG_0041a.JPG

Last I heard Erik was working at a shop with his son(?). In Belton, maybe.
I contacted him about the RZ I bought from Ron, but I never followed through.

I forgot to mention that the previous owner swapped in a Keihin FCR along with aftermarket exhaust and airbox mods. I'm adding fresh gas weekly and run the carb dry after every ride.

I guess you need to determine which FCR, is it an E-Model Carb? Is it an FCR-MX? What exhaust? What intake mods?

This is an FCR-MX, I don't have an E-Model Pic, but I bet someone does.

IMG_3152.JPG

IMG_3153.JPG

IMG_3155.JPG

IMG_3156.JPG

IMG_3157.JPG

It is an FCR MX. The bike is a 2012, so CCT isn't usually an issue on low mileage bikes from my research.

Good news, get a JD Jetting jet kit and set her up for your particular mods or have a shop do it.

I forgot to mention that the previous owner swapped in a Keihin FCR along with aftermarket exhaust and airbox mods. I'm adding fresh gas weekly and run the carb dry after every ride.
Those are pertinent details.

That is a horse of a different color. The FCR carb was jetted and designed for more high performance engines. Did it run fine and this just started happening, or is this a new problem? The former would indicate a need for maintenance, while the latter would indicate rejetting.

It starts and runs fine, other than that occasionally hesitation or stumble. I do not have the stock carb.

If it is on acceleration, a new accelerator pump might be the problem. with the bowl full and the carb off the bike you can open the throttle and see if it is spraying properly. Dennis Kirk has a Moose pump repair kit ($19.95), and a Quickshot Accelerator Pump Cover that is touted to improve acceleration performance ($79.88.) https://www.denniskirk.com/engine-and-intake/2007-ktm-450-exc-racing-4-stroke.mmy/100.ipp I am looking at one for my KTM.FCR39. I just rebuilt my new to me FCR39 carburetor. It is on a KTM 450 that has sat for nearly 10 years. I just started it today, and it seems fine. I am going to finish up tomorrow and see how it performs under load. So far I have used all the old parts. The last time it was running, the former owner smoked me on my DRZ400S.

Humanrace on this forum has had many of these DRZ400s, he might be able to steer you in the right direction. You might also give Pro Cycle in Bryan a try if you haven't already.
I know I have had a few things come up with my DRZsm, but I can't remember a stumble situation so much. A good carb cleaning and tune may be the place to start if not tried already. Good luck.

Jetting is an art. In my 61 years of riding and working on motorcycle carbs, I've progressed to the point of being able to draw stick figures that look like they might be walking. ProCycle had a mechanic that was the Van Gogh of carb tuning, but he quit to pursue a self sustaining lifestyle in the country. Ray, the owner of Procycle, has done a good job on the team race bikes that I have ridden.

Calling the great and powerful Oz,

or his carb wrangling followers: I have a 2002 drz400e, with the cursed but glorious when not being temperamental, keihin fcr39 carb.

Skip this part if short on time*
move to !!!! below

*I have struggled to get this bike running correctly off and on for awhile now. You know, you have time, tear into it, clean and reinstall, runs like crap then get frustrated, get busy as heck with life and forget about it, until the gas goes bad, and the petcock, and ...
Anyway, this is my second E, and not without tribulation, I had the old one running pretty great until I found this one year older bike with less miles in way better shape. Anyway, I couldn't make it run right, eventually, took it to a buddy's shop and not divulging much here but he didn't completely fix it either.

!!! Problem here:
Bike will start on choke, sounds great, will not idle. as soon as the blip of the throttle sends the pumper shot in, it revs up and then starts to fall off, ultimately dying. The throttle screw is all the way in. I pulled this thing off today and tore it down to the mid body and cleaned everything - shot carb spray and compressed air through all passages. I have never gone into the mid on these carbs before, as previous research indicated to never take that apart, parts not available. Well it was apparent, that the 4 or 6 mid body o rings (some are o,'s the others are Egyptian hieroglyph rings) were not fresh, or elastic, or relatively as new as the bowl gasket etc.
So after a thorough washing (wasn't that dirty) reassembled and installed said **** carb and will start sometimes without choke, but will not idle for me to tune the fuel screw.
(While in the carb, I replaced, the float valve, fuel screw oring, pumper diaphragm and everything else appeared unhurt.)

So, I hit up YouTube for some advice while cooling off with a frosty barley pop, and find this video that claims to solve all your fcr problems:
(view only if you have experience with the fcr or your head will explode, or just skip it

All of this to ask if anyone here has any experience like this (strange idle issues) with the fcr, that have changed mid body orings before and found dramatic life changing improvements? If so, where would you find said o-rings? Any info appreciated, and I apologize for the long post.

Signed,
contemplating suzukicide,
in Lumberton

This is the offender, just realized someone just above was asking for a photo of the fcr39 (non mx), I didn't notice the request until after it was reinstalled on the bike. There are readily apparent differences in this one and the one posted above.

1000001323.jpg

you FCR carb owners will not want to hear this buttttt as much as I love them🤩…. The FCR’s must be almost perfect to run well. option 2 ….go back with a used Stock S model carb off eBay or buy that FCR Clone … keep us update. Fuel Injection is over rated🥸

Is the FCR clone any better?

Sure would be nice if there was throttle body injector to use for things like this. I'd have one real quick if it was anything close to reasonable.

Is the FCR clone any better?

Sure would be nice if there was throttle body injector to use for things like this. I'd have one real quick if it was anything close to reasonable.
People have fuel injected DRZ-400s. The last word in your post eliminates me and apparently, you. I would really like to see Suzuki make a fuel injected DRZ with a correctly spaced 6 speed tranny. I just bought a Bike with 4,000 miles on it. I'd sell it and buy a new bike tomorrow if Suzuki were to listen to their customers.

People have fuel injected DRZ-400s. The last word in your post eliminates me and apparently, you. I would really like to see Suzuki make a fuel injected DRZ with a correctly spaced 6 speed tranny. I just bought a Bike with 4,000 miles on it. I'd sell it and buy a new bike tomorrow if Suzuki were to listen to their customers.
I've talked to the sales reps at shows and demo rides about that several times. Last time was way over ayear ago.They always kinda said the idea had been had, but I don't see one. I'd like it to shed some weight too. A guy can dream....

I don't think I've ever seen anything on a retrofit FI for these. I may look around a bit.

Back