• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

West Houston DS Riders

I bought a CRF 250 L to do some single track in the SHNF with a buddy. I sold that bike with 450 miles on it. Enough of those miles in the SHNF to figure out that's not my thing! By enough I mean like 3 miles.

The 250L is a tough bike to be using in that manner. I've watched my buddy do the same and he's sucking wind while we were ripping on 250/300 smokers.

When I was on the single track in SHNF on my DR650 last year, I was very slow and sucking wind after 10 minutes. I only made it a couple of miles the first time. Farther the second. But I REALLY want to go again ... just not alone. So if some others on big dual sports, who are OK with slow going and frequent stops to catch our breath want to give it a try, I'm in.

When I was on the single track in SHNF on my DR650 last year, I was very slow and sucking wind after 10 minutes. I only made it a couple of miles the first time. Farther the second. But I REALLY want to go again ... just not alone. So if some others on big dual sports, who are OK with slow going and frequent stops to catch our breath want to give it a try, I'm in.
I want to do the forest more just to get back in to shape.

I've only been once, and it was challenging on my 990 for sure, and I'm anxious to go again. Hail, I agree with you, this is a great way to increase endurance! I say let's put something together...

Got out for about 300 miles on Saturday. Was a nice day to ride.
IMG_6816.jpeg

It was a nice weekend for a ride.
I was out in SHNF for a couple of hours Sunday. There were a lot of people out hrer for the long weekend. I REALLY need to get tires with better sand traction before I do much of the single track out there. The stock trail wings on my DR are really difficult to manage in the sand.

It was a nice weekend for a ride.
I was out in SHNF for a couple of hours Sunday. There were a lot of people out hrer for the long weekend. I REALLY need to get tires with better sand traction before I do much of the single track out there. The stock trail wings on my DR are really difficult to manage in the sand.
Weight of the bike probably has a lot to do with it too. When it comes to sand, behind over the rear wheel and pin it. At least that's how I negotiated sand when I raced MX. Full throttle everything. :rider:

My main issue is that at low speed, in 1st gear, even a tiny bit of throttle and the rear wheel goes sideways. It makes negotiating lots of tight, sandy corners tricky. I really think that the trail wings are a little too street oriented for that kind of terrain. I'm sure that if I were more skilled, it wouldn't matter, but right now, I need every advantage I can get. :)

My main issue is that at low speed, in 1st gear, even a tiny bit of throttle and the rear wheel goes sideways. It makes negotiating lots of tight, sandy corners tricky. I really think that the trail wings are a little too street oriented for that kind of terrain. I'm sure that if I were more skilled, it wouldn't matter, but right now, I need every advantage I can get. :)
Yeah, a good tire is everything. The death wings really aren't the right tire.

I did alright on the SHNF trails in my DR with an IRC TR8 front and Shinko 244 rear. More aggressive wouldn't hurt, but I used it as an adventure bike most of the time, not a dirt bike.

I'm leaning towards the 244.
While most of my miles are on-road, all of my issues are off-road, so I need a more off-road oriented tire than what I have now (stock trail wings).

Seems like alot of the 50/50 type tires would work for you. Mileage will vary of course. TKC-80, Shinko 804/805, Bridgestone AX-41, MotoZ, Anakee Wild, MT21/D606 combo...tons of choices.

What about the IRC TR8 rear? Is there a reason you choose the 244 instead?
Seems like alot of the 50/50 type tires would work for you. Mileage will vary of course. TKC-80, Shinko 804/805, Bridgestone AX-41, MotoZ, Anakee Wild, MT21/D606 combo...tons of choices.
I'm sure any of those would be a big step up from the DeathWings. :)

It's one of the minor failings of the DR650. You lose out on a number of more aggressive rear tire options due to the 17" rim. It can be fixed, of course, but I do mean it's a minor issue. I always preferred a less aggressive rear for tire life anyway.

You're right, everything is a trade off ... but I think I can live with a 17" rear. There are still quite a few options for tires and its not like I'm going to do something very unusual or push the envelope.

I can understand, there are LOTS of other things I could do to the bike that would likely yield more bang-for-the-buck.

When I was writing my last post, I was thinking ... some flavor of fork insert would be a lot more bang-for-the-buck than an18" rim.

Cogent DDCs with straight rate springs and a Cogent Mojave rear shock. They'll set you up right for your weight and load. Really transforms the bike. The carb is a comparatively poor value.

I haven't been on the forum in a minute, been out of town working. This thread dead? No more West Houston/Katy DS Rides?

Back