• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

West Houston DS Riders

There's 4 trailheads and not a lot of difference. Some loops shorter than others. Trails are 2 way, so can always uturn and go back. Biggest thing is SAND. All have it sooner or later. General consensus is Kelly Pond trailhead best for beginners.
Thank you for the tip about kelly pond.

Short notice ride posted. See the linked thread for details. Just figured some of y'all have notifications on for this thread like I do.

Hi Y'all. Hope everyone is well. I rode with this group a while back on my DRZ400. Then sold it. I got tired of dealing with a leaking carburetor. Went on and bought a fuel injected KLX300 and I am ready to ride. When is the next group ride?

I've not done any of this sort of riding for some time now. Is not be objectionable, but I've quite a bit going on in life outside of riding right now.

I am in between ADV bikes at the moment otherwise I'd put something together. Like most, I am slammed this time of year, not a single free weekend until June.

I might join in for the Cheeseburger, if there are others who are more interested in sight seeing than covering ground. "Possum speed" might be an appropriate description. :lol2:

Judging by this map it looks a little long for my typical ride, especially the purple part to the North.
I also have a couple of limitations ... specifically I only get 100 or so miles between fill ups at highway speeds, and no more than about an hour at a time on the 2x4 that Suzuki optimistically calls a "seat." So if some are interested in a leisurely cruise, I'm your man.

It’s a good proposal. I’ll plan to
Join if I’m free. It seems I don’t get out much on the 990 these days.

I might join in for the Cheeseburger, if there are others who are more interested in sight seeing than covering ground. "Possum speed" might be an appropriate description. :lol2:

Judging by this map it looks a little long for my typical ride, especially the purple part to the North.
I also have a couple of limitations ... specifically I only get 100 or so miles between fill ups at highway speeds, and no more than about an hour at a time on the 2x4 that Suzuki optimistically calls a "seat." So if some are interested in a leisurely cruise, I'm your man.

That's the extra long version with a northern extension. The typical cheeseburger loop is a good bit shorter.

Thanks for all the responses. I totally understand some of us are busy with life, others perhaps found some free time.
I do like the idea of the quarterly rides and I will try my best to join them. "Dirt-Raider Possums" sounds good too!

Do any of you have the route we did crossing the Iron bridge? We also crossed a small water pond or went around it. I would'nt mind having the gpx route/map if anyone wants to share. I am free next Saturday and would like to try it out while trying to get 600 miles break-in on my new KLX 300.
Good Riding.
20200926_102420-jpg.jpg

IMG_4260.jpeg

Thanks for all the responses. I totally understand some of us are busy with life, others perhaps found some free time.
I do like the idea of the quarterly rides and I will try my best to join them. "Dirt-Raider Possums" sounds good too!

Do any of you have the route we did crossing the Iron bridge? We also crossed a small water pond or went around it. I would'nt mind having the gpx route/map if anyone wants to share. I am free next Saturday and would like to try it out while trying to get 600 miles break-in on my new KLX 300.
Good Riding.
View attachment 346047

View attachment 346046

It's on my Fayetteville route. Link to my Dropbox is in post #49.

I am going to state the obvious. Adventure riding out of Houston probably seems a bit random for new people. I see where other cities (DFW and Austin) seem to have a more organized community.

I get it, when I get on with 4 or 5 folks that I know to go for a ride, I don't post those rides because I don't want some random person in over their head joining and crashing. However, I also think we need to develop our community and let folks get to know each other.

How about we start with once a quarter having a ride? Get it on the calendar. Meet at an agreed location. Break up into smaller groups depending on who shows up and what they want to do. It does not have to be over planned. If you are new, let people know and ask questions (adventure riders like to talk). The goal is to provide the adventure riders of Houston a chance to network and improve their skills. So, we need some mentors to be there as well.

I would propose the Second Saturday of each new quarter (the first Saturday might conflict with the 4th of July weekend and travel plans. Happy if this goes to monthly if we get enough people interested.
  • July 8, 2023 at 8 AM at the Katy Buckees (27700 Katy Fwy, Katy, TX 77494, west side of store)
  • October 14, 2023 at 8 AM at the Circle K Montgomery (21101 Eva St, Montgomery, TX 77356) - Cheeseburger loop is an obvious one here
  • January 13, 2024 at 9 AM (in case it is cold) at the Waller Buckees (40900 US-290, Waller, TX 77484, west side of store)
  • April 13, 2024 at 8 AM at 8 AM at the Buckees on Crabb River Road (1243 Crabb River Rd, Richmond, TX 77469)
  • July 13, 2024 at 8 AM at the Fuel Max towards Sheldon on Hwy 90 (8330 Miller Rd No 2, Houston, TX 77049) - I have no idea what is east of town, but there has to be something. Adventure!!

Nothing special about me. If you don't like my proposal, take charge and do something different. If you want it monthly, make a proposal like I did. :-)

Decided it needs a name. I am calling it the "Possum Posse Procession". I saw about 4 possums last night on my walk, so fresh on my mind. If you can get others to call it something better, go for it. If not, use my goofy name. :-)

Let me know if there is any interest. If no-one is interested, then I can at least say I tried.
Wow, the summer is flying by and it is time for the "Possum Posse Procession" next weekend. Anyone planning to ride with me? Or have a better suggestion on the name (although you have to admit this name in unique)?

I liked @tex68w 's suggested route, but it will be a long day when you factor in the ride out there and it is hot in the afternoon, so I would suggest we maybe save this for the Oct 14th ride.

Therefore, I would suggest the Fayetteville route attached, but open to other suggestion. It does have a water crossing just outside of Fayetteville. Lunch in Fayetteville.

Also, do we want to start earlier?

GPX viewer

Attachments

• TX Fayetteville DS Loop v3.2.gpx
    103.7 KB · Views: 89
Wow, the summer is flying by and it is time for the "Possum Posse Procession" next weekend. Anyone planning to ride with me? Or have a better suggestion on the name (although you have to admit this name in unique)?

I liked @tex68w 's suggested route, but it will be a long day when you factor in the ride out there and it is hot in the afternoon, so I would suggest we maybe save this for the Oct 14th ride.

Therefore, I would suggest the Fayetteville route attached, but open to other suggestion. It does have a water crossing just outside of Fayetteville. Lunch in Fayetteville.

Also, do we want to start earlier?

GPX viewer

How much of that route is paved vs. dirt/gravel? Where would you start said route? Are you talking this weekend 7/7-9 or the following 7/14-16? Saturday or Sunday for the ride day? Not sold on the name but I don't have any suggestions at the moment either lol.

How much of that route is paved vs. dirt/gravel? Where would you start said route? Are you talking this weekend 7/7-9 or the following 7/14-16? Saturday or Sunday for the ride day? Not sold on the name but I don't have any suggestions at the moment either lol.
The proposed date is this Saturday, July 8, 2023 at 8 AM at the Katy Buckees (27700 Katy Fwy, Katy, TX 77494, west side of store). I have a conflict on Sunday.

Dirt to asphalt: This route leans towards nice gravel roads with a couple of spots of sand to make sure you are paying attention. Always hard to tell, but not including the ride to the route, it is probably 70% off-road. I road this this area a couple of weeks ago, but not using this particular GPX file (life is an adventure).

The proposed date is this Saturday, July 8, 2023 at 8 AM at the Katy Buckees (27700 Katy Fwy, Katy, TX 77494, west side of store). I have a conflict on Sunday.

Dirt to asphalt: This route leans towards nice gravel roads with a couple of spots of sand to make sure you are paying attention. Always hard to tell, but not including the ride to the route, it is probably 70% off-road. I road this this area a couple of weeks ago, but not using this particular GPX file (life is an adventure).

Proposed total ride time/duration? Any food stops along the way or plan to be back to Buccees by mid-day? I am just trying to get a good handle on what to expect and my schedule for the day should I commit. I don't have my new GPS in so I'd be riding along on the heels of the group, either way this would be a good opportunity for me to put some break-in miles on the 500. I need a little shakedown ride to vet the build/setup as well.

Good Riding.
View attachment 346047

View attachment 346046

GPX viewer

Attachments

• Fayetteville DS Loop CCW 07242021.GPX
    251.3 KB · Views: 78
Back