• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What Happened in Pee Paw's Scooter Shop Today?

Captions:
"I write checks you can't cash"
"I scare people"
"I strain smile muscles and vocal chords"

That might be more appropriate for this guy...

IMG_3975(1).JPG

I was thinking of the Evo for those comments, but that one probably too. SV is one of the tamer vehicles in the scooter shop. Not the tamest, but certainly not up there with the big boys.

Today I sucked it up, and, on the MT10, changed the spark plugs, checked the valve clearances, all were looser than minimum and tighter than maximum. Good news, she is good until 50k miles now! Woo Hoo! I buttoned up the valve cover, now I have to put it together, but hey, I did take it apart. LOL. The parts for the 690 Duke are trickling in, the handlebar mount is a week or so out, so I am doing stuff, like chain and sprockets, oil change, new grips, stock bars, fixed the shifter, all good stuff. Hopefully I will have the MT10 finished tomorrow with an oil change and new coolant. Woo Hoo!

Plugs after 26k miles, left to right are one through four. gap was near .5, spec was .22 to .28. The ones that went back in were .26-.28 so all is better. The plugs cost $74.00 at O'Reillys. Wow!

IMG_3993(1).JPG

Mostly assembled, got some work to do, get the radiator and such back in and fill the coolant in the morning.

IMG_3994.JPG

Also I am identifying plugs and wires and stuff for assembly, this one took me a minute so I included it here, My wife was surprised that they use pink wires. Go figure.

IMG_3995(1).JPG

So wait. The MT10, with proper clearances and plug gaps, is going to run even better? Woohoo! That's going to be a fun test ride for Doug.

Finished the MT10, a couple of the fasteners are questionable...so I did a little clever wire tying while we await parts. Hopefully I will get them in a week and be able to put them on before I send her back to Corsicana. Should be fun to ride for a week or two, we shall see.

When I say finished, the valves were fine, she is all back together, I changed the oil and filter, I guess I will bleed the brakes to make the 24k maintenance complete.

P.S. I would not do all that again. I think next time they can take it to the shop. Man what a PITB that all was. I thought Hondas were hard to pull apart. Now I just need some 690 Duke parts and I can play some more. Woo Hoo!

Finished the MT10, a couple of the fasteners are questionable...so I did a little clever wire tying while we await parts. Hopefully I will get them in a week and be able to put them on before I send her back to Corsicana. Should be fun to ride for a week or two, we shall see.

When I say finished, the valves were fine, she is all back together, I changed the oil and filter, I guess I will bleed the brakes to make the 24k maintenance complete.

P.S. I would not do all that again. I think next time they can take it to the shop. Man what a PITB that all was. I thought Hondas were hard to pull apart. Now I just need some 690 Duke parts and I can play some more. Woo Hoo!
That would probably be a grand to get done in a shop

Does the MT-10 have a power adder or programming of any sort? I’m surprised at the plugs with 24k on them. I would have thought they would be cleaner.

Good work sir. Maybe next time you can just supervise this service.

That would probably be a grand to get done in a shop
Does the MT-10 have a power adder or programming of any sort? I’m surprised at the plugs with 24k on them. I would have thought they would be cleaner.

Good work sir. Maybe next time you can just supervise this service.

No power adders, no FI "enhancers" Just a decat, cannister gone and secondary air system (or whatever Yamaha calls it) are removed. Bike was running good. The maintenance schedule changes the plugs at 24k, this one is around 26-27k so they were due and apparently scheduled correctly. The air filter was overdue, it seems to be the original. I think folks shy away from doing maintenance on these because of the "fiddliness" of the bodywork and tank removal. At the end of the day, it looks like all in it was $195.00. That includes extra fasteners to replace the ones that need replacing. I await them. Separately, I ordered an owners manual and a Service manual from Yamaha, that will hit for $130.00. I didn't include that since it is more for me than my daughter and SIL. So I guess it was quite cheap. I didn't have the proper sized shims so it was fortuitous that they were all in spec. Bike maintenance is always fun. I am pretty sure I would do it again, I was just tired yesterday and most things seemed insurmountable, today, with fresh coffee, all is well.

Yea, but now you know how to do it, so it'll take half the time.

But you are old, so you'll forget, and it'll take twice as long next time. Also, you'll forget what a PIA it is, and you will agree to do it again. :D

Got my Andeani tools in, they are amazingly nice for $100. Today they finished wiring up the new Septic System, I have a connection to drain the shop to the tank, so PPSS Bathroom could be in the future. So nice to be able to use bathrooms to their full potential and not worry. Got a guy coming over to get rid of the tree trunk we have been storing in the backyard for a few years. Should be fun. Also, I found a quickshifter/blipper for the 690 Duke, but she is $869.00, so we will need some deep breaths before we make that decision. Our tulips and Iris's are blooming, leaves are starting to come on the Pecan trees, got the pasture fertilized and weeded, shaping up to be a great spring and summer. I may try to sneak in a ride soon. I need one part to make the 690 legal and hope to have it next week. Certainly looking forward to riding the little beast like I stole it. Munn shipped me a box, so I hope it is my new handlebar support. Then we will be in business. Changed the oil in the SV today, it had a small amount of "old gas" smelliness and now she is crystal clear and runs nicely. I am pretty well set for the summer, this working thing has improved, really enjoying teaching "kids" to run a nuclear plant. I had forgotten how much fun it is to play with. Good bunch of folks. Might even "re-up" for next year if the money is right, or I may gently ease back into retirement. We did have to move the old truck, I like it better where it is now since I can see it all the time from the yard. Can't wait for my leaves to arrive.

1711157936039.jpeg

1711158093170.jpeg

Today they finished wiring up the new Septic System, I have a connection to drain the shop to the tank, so PPSS Bathroom could be in the future. So nice to be able to use bathrooms to their full potential and not worry.

View attachment 377140
Livin' the life, dude!

Can't wait till I save up enough for a well & septic system, but we'll make it day by day and pay the Stool Bus every few months...

Alright, it's been a bit since I posted. Working a lot, so I have been a bit tired. The projects move along slowly. Always waiting for parts, so there is that. Yesterday, my daughter and her husband, Brad, came by and we worked on Diana's Super Duke 1290 R. She needed a rear tire, also, I had purchased a chain because it was a little rusty and we couldn't get it all off. She wasn't planning on doing that install, but heck, we were there. The rear brake also needed attention and since we were there, well why not?

Signs of spring are everywhere at PPSS and I thought I would share a little for folks that can't get by. We have Tulips and Iris's and have already passed the Daffodil period much as the Crocus' have moved on as well. Even our little yearling peach tree got involved.

IMG_4053(1).JPG

IMG_4054(1).JPG

IMG_4056(1).JPG

IMG_4057(1).JPG

IMG_4092.JPG

IMG_3958(1).JPG

Enough of that. The shop stuff was fun too. Diana and Brad did most of the work, even though I couldn't, obviously, stay out of it. I kept telling Diana not to "crack" the master link pin and I think I stressed her out a little, bit it was all in good fun.

We start with the presentation of the Holy Chain Tool and all the associated Pee Paw warnings and silliness.

IMG_3431.jpg

Working happily, then "hey don't crack that, Master Links are like $30 and I don't have a spare". LOL

IMG_3432.jpg

What?

IMG_3438.jpg

My Dad is such a pookie butt.

IMG_3443.jpg

Muffler, expertly installed...

IMG_4059(1).JPG

Brad and I got the tire on, even though I managed to not get the wheel clamped right and actually scratched her rim...I am bad.

IMG_2840.jpg

She cleaned it up nicely while we mounted Mr. Tire.

IMG_2842.jpg

It all came out nice in the end, but you knew it would.

IMG_2843.jpg

We took a short ride (about 20 miles-ish) and got some lunch at Massey's BBQ on 144 between Glen Rose and Granbury. Diana rode the SV650S, Brad chose the Vitpilen and I rode the BMW S1000R (yes, it is back home and I am enjoying it!) No pics of the food, but we enjoyed it and did some damage. However, we can definitively say the Turkey is outstanding as are the onion rings. We preferred the spicy sauce as the regular seemed to sweet for us. I would recommend folks try it and make their own decision, for me, I will be back.

IMG_4091.JPG

Then Brad lined up all the bikes and we thought a "Fleet Picture" was in order. All of our scooters are in there. 12 bikes, probably an issue for some, but it seems about right. Behind the workbench is the TW200, the KLX110L and the DR-Z70. Don't judge me, they all run perfectly and I play with them often.

IMG_4062(1).JPG

IMG_2859.jpg

Pee Paw in his Scooter Shop, if Donna had been there it would have been a perfect picture...

IMG_2864.jpg

Have a wonderful Easter, I will be playing with my babies this year. Woo Hoo!

P. S. The 1390 Superduke R was put on a dyno. Nice little video. No, I don't need one. The 1290 Duke R Evo's are selling for almost $10k below what I paid, so I guess I will keep what I have. It is a pretty sweet bike, but I enjoyed the 1390 on the dyno, it does have dial a wheelie as well.

Hey there "POOKIE BUTT"...
Nice to read a well rounded post...
Foliage, family, motorcycles, all that and no political contents...

A much needed breath of fresh air!!!
Although I may have one very small problem with the line up of the fleet photo... The mighty TW200 was mentioned BUTTT not visible... Just my opinion but possibly a fleet "wedged photo" based on CC's... Or even a mathmaticial friendly pentagram photo, possibly some drone footage...
We have expected top notch photos and well written snippets of life's events from PPSS...
Carry On 😎

Last edited:
Back