• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What Happened in Pee Paw's Scooter Shop Today?

The other flexing is the cracked handlebar mount that is almost through. Looks like no 690 riding until I clean her and take a good look at all the structure. I did rewire the back of her, so she will pass inspection now. I also bled the brakes, then I went on a Super Duke 1290 ride with my buddy Leonard on his 2017 Super Duke. It was fun. I need to finish the MT10 and the SV fuel pump is enroute. Should be busy, but i have to go to work, so there you are.

Damage...the bar mount is definitely cracked through. I am also getting rid of the Steering damper, it seems to hinder more than help, and I also can put it back on if I so desire. I have parts to allow me to delete the GP Shift as well. Hard on my old brain to shift backwards.

Here is one tiny version of the wiring harness mods. This guy cut connectors off of the stock harness and then loosely crimped them, nothing worked.

IMG_3969(1).JPG

Here are closeups of the bar mount damage, pretty good lick or lots of vibration did that. But it looks more snap than a ductile failure over time, just saying.

IMG_3970(1).JPG

IMG_3971(1).JPG

IMG_3972(1).JPG

IMG_3973(1).JPG

She does have two sides and looks nice I'd say.

IMG_3974(1).JPG

Damage...the bar mount is definitely cracked through. I am also getting rid of the Steering damper, it seems to hinder more than help, and I also can put it back on if I so desire. I have parts to allow me to delete the GP Shift as well. Hard on my old brain to shift backwards.

Here is one tiny version of the wiring harness mods. This guy cut connectors off of the stock harness and then loosely crimped them, nothing worked.

View attachment 376182

Here are closeups of the bar mount damage, pretty good lick or lots of vibration did that. But it looks more snap than a ductile failure over time, just saying.

View attachment 376183

View attachment 376184

View attachment 376185

View attachment 376186

She does have two sides and looks nice I'd say.

View attachment 376187
You probably saved somebody's bacon with that discovery. Good on you!

My buddy found it, I was going to ride it and hadn't noticed it, now I am looking, hopefully nothing else is compromised.

Fat thumbs... Needed to add, "You need to keep your DUCTILES in a row..."
Seriously I could use some help sourcing tires similar to yours for this...

Pete, I am running Dunlops I think they K180s. Same tire that comes on the Van Van. Contact Freedom Cycle, I got a rear for like $108 shipped they only had a few left.

onlineparts@freedomcycle.net

Glad you got the tire sorted Pete. I looked I paid $91.00 shipped for my rear, I think the front was $100-ish from Rocky Mountain ATV but I can't find a receipt or an order but it is on the bike.

So, back to the fun. Yesterday, before work, I removed the radiator from the MT10 with the hope of completing the valve check tomorrow. Should be fun, wresting the radiator out without damaging stuff was fiddly at best and a huge pain where I sit in general. But she is out. A little cleaning, minor disassembly and we will be checking valve clearances. Woo Hoo. I need to get spark plugs as well while I am in there.

IMG_3976(1).JPG

On to the SV650. After drying the tank for over a week while waiting on the new fuel pump, I took my little scope and camera and took a look around. I found only varnish down by the fuel pump flange, so I put some of my bad gas in there and swished it around, then scrubbed a little bit and flushed it out. She looks pretty good inside, a little goo but nothing compared to where we started.

Amazingly I didn't take a pic of the fuel pump before I put it in, but I promise it looked like a $771.16 fuel pump. Unpacked her, wiped it all down, put in the new gasket, installed the pump, the insulation and put the tank on the bike. She fired up when I put a little nice new clean gas in. The low fuel light worked as well. Then I rode her to work last night. She pulls well, and hard (for an SV650) to the 11500 RPM redline. Much improved and a pleasure to ride her. So now I will get some mileage on her so I can enjoy the fruits of the labor and the cash outlay. Love these bikes. I will point out for fellow old fat guys, this thing is like riding a Gixxer, high rearward pegs, leaned over the tank to the bars. My only issue is these old hips don't like it when I lift my foot off of the pegs, but it isn't too bad and the bike is fun to ride. I will say after years of riding bikes with wicked excellent brakes, these 4 pot Tokicos are a little tough on an old guys grip. I am toughening up and even got a small stoppie in, she will wheelie, but it isn't a good idea to do sustained wheelie on an SV, it starves them for oil, usually not good. Anyway, enjoy the pics, I will enjoy the ride. I hate to say it, but I am enjoying the yellow.

IMG_3977(1).JPG

IMG_3978(1).JPG

IMG_3979(1).JPG

IMG_3980(1).JPG

IMG_3984(1).JPG

IMG_3987.JPG

You getting soft in your old age? Definitely cleaned up well and is a looker, especially in the yellow. ;)
It is actually pretty dirty, but I will fix that soon. I probably will check valve clearances and change the oil when the MT10 is done. The yellow has a real fine metal flake in it and it is pretty nice in full Sun. I need to get some miles on her now so I will be riding her a good bit I am sure.

Back