• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What Happened in Pee Paw's Scooter Shop Today?

Well the SV ride revealed some fueling issues, got to the bottom of them. The fuel pump is dying, not a good thing, the pump has been changed once and the filter was a cheap one and split. So if you whack her full throttle she can't pump enough gas. I ordered a new fuel pump from Suzuki for....$777.16. That is a little more than half of what I have in the bike. So, I will have her fixed up soon. The tank looks mostly ok, I will used some evaporust on her and fill her with some ethanol free fuel soon just to get poo out of the tank.

View attachment 375535

View attachment 375536

View attachment 375537

View attachment 375539

View attachment 375540
Wow - that is 1.5x what BMW wants for their pump

I believe there are pump rebuild kits available for less than $100. I would use one of those all day long before spending what an OEM pump costs.

So, to clarify, a careful reader would have noticed the following salient points:

• The pump has already been replaced once and is failing again
  • The filter ($72 from Suzuki) failed=sand and stuff into the replacement pump
  • wiring is rotted on the pump
  • thermistor for level is failed ($210 or so from Suzuki)
  • other parts needed from Suzuki for the repair=$300
Therefore, I decided to fix it one time and move on. I had replaced a DL1000 pump a few years back and that one was $683. So, I realize that since most folks on here have the "*Adventure Bike Rider Mindset", I find in this case, the best course of action is to do a proper repair and move on. If and when I sell the bike, there is room to recover this expense.

* Adventure Bike Rider Mindset - Anything at full retail is a waste of money, cheap fixes are cheaper, oil is a subject for debate, tires as well, farkles add huge value to the sales price of motorcycle and finally an adventure bike with cast wheels is, well, just junk. YMMV

So, to clarify, a careful reader would have noticed the following salient points:

• The pump has already been replaced once and is failing again
  • The filter ($72 from Suzuki) failed=sand and stuff into the replacement pump
  • wiring is rotted on the pump
  • thermistor for level is failed ($210 or so from Suzuki)
  • other parts needed from Suzuki for the repair=$300
Therefore, I decided to fix it one time and move on. I had replaced a DL1000 pump a few years back and that one was $683. So, I realize that since most folks on here have the "*Adventure Bike Rider Mindset", I find in this case, the best course of action is to do a proper repair and move on. If and when I sell the bike, there is room to recover this expense.

* Adventure Bike Rider Mindset - Anything at full retail is a waste of money, cheap fixes are cheaper, oil is a subject for debate, tires as well, farkles add huge value to the sales price of motorcycle and finally an adventure bike with cast wheels is, well, just junk. YMMV
I have a bracket racer mindset
  • If something breaks - find out why and if possible replace it something that won't break
  • Being cheap is usually very expensive - cheap parts that lose races, travel / hotel time, etc are usually the most expensive you can buy

I have a bracket racer mindset
  • If something breaks - find out why and if possible replace it something that won't break
  • Being cheap is usually very expensive - cheap parts that lose races, travel / hotel time, etc are usually the most expensive you can buy

Not junk, but instead a darn good street touring bike. All depends on what your plans are for it, and whether or not you already have a darn good street touring bike. ;)

What "THEY" said...
Choppers Forevermore ☠️

Had to look up the definition of salient, always nice to learn something new. I also use factory parts that I buy from my local dealer because I need them to be there when window shopping. Hard to compare bikes on my tablet. Again, thanks for taking us along.

If you ain't riding on gold, spoked, tubeless wheels you might as well be walkin'! :trust:
However, my Vitpilen made it over the same road hazard with cast wheels as I passed the beemer with the pretty gold spoked BENT wheels. I guess you are right, sir.

Vitpilen, not much of an adventure bike, but apparently better than a 23 GS, just saying....YMMV

IMG_3445.JPG

P.P.S. 2017 Ktm Duke 690. 7149 miles, clean title.
Modifications include:

• Arrow full exhaust and De-cat (sounds mean)
  • Penske rear shock
  • Andreani Cartridges in front forks
  • Kuoko Throttlelock cruise control
  • Ktm racing rearsets
  • KTM comfort seat
  • KTM Track Pack
  • DNA s2 airbox
  • PC5
  • R&G engine and clutch covers and crash cage
  • Puig touring windscreen
  • Tail Tidy
That'll do Donkey, that'll do.

P.P.S. 2017 Ktm Duke 690. 7149 miles, clean title.
Modifications include:

• Arrow full exhaust and De-cat (sounds mean)
  • Penske rear shock
  • Andreani Cartridges in front forks
  • Kuoko Throttlelock cruise control
  • Ktm racing rearsets
  • KTM comfort seat
  • KTM Track Pack
  • DNA s2 airbox
  • PC5
  • R&G engine and clutch covers and crash cage
  • Puig touring windscreen
  • Tail Tidy
That'll do Donkey, that'll do.
This looks like your ad for selling it, and you haven't even picked it up yet. :zen:

Last edited:
However, my Vitpilen made it over the same road hazard with cast wheels as I passed the beemer with the pretty gold spoked BENT wheels. I guess you are right, sir.

Vitpilen, not much of an adventure bike, but apparently better than a 23 GS, just saying....YMMV
I should have known that was coming... They way I see it is, those wheels saved my hide. Just bent not broken. ;-)

Got the 690 today, has some minor issues related to the tail tidy, which I removed. Someone has cut the connectors on the harness, so I will have to rewire her tomorrow. Should be simple, just fiddly. I took a spin on her, she is about 34% meaner than the Vitpilen, the electronics seem better. Apparently she is tuned very well. The forks and shock are very sweet. She handles well, pulls well and stops well. Wheelies appear not to be optional. LOL. More to come on this one.

Welcome.jpg

I’m surprised it’s still on there.
It is indeed off of there, first thing I did after I took the picture. I probably should have checked the tires as the front had 8 psi on the first test ride. She steered poorly, but there was still some bright spots. After the inflation of the tires, she was transformed. Suspension is very good, she handles well and with traction control off she is a wheelie beast. Now to get a dongle so I don't have to change things every time I start her up.

Back