• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What's going on out at GrandPaul's Place?

Rode down to the pond on the tractor to make sure it gets regular use. It's a pond again, that's nice. I sure need to rent an excavator and dig it deeper, then line it. $$$
What do you line it with, a very thick plastic?

Beautiful moonrise just as I was leaving. So peaceful...
A six year old cell phone photo last evening.
395468590_10222731319061374_6691276052519630285_n.jpg

No, here in SA. Stu's last known shop was right behind Alamo HD on I-35 at Weidner.
YEAH! We had life-long friends that lived just off Weidner about 5 minutes from there. Visited S.O.S. many times.

Rent some pigs. Let them pack it hard.
I googled "Pig Rentals" and came up empty...

The cattle have packed it pretty well, let's see how it holds up since it's fall now and SHOULD be wetter and cooler than summer.

YEAH! We had life-long friends that lived just off Weidner about 5 minutes from there. Visited S.O.S. many times.

Did you see his green and oil Norton? Loved it's extreme natural patina. If Stu didn't have an old part, it probably didn't exist.

Already on the downhill side. Received a bunch of parts and got after it.

Cush rubbers installed on the rear hub, new tubes in both tires...

IMG_9469.JPG

There is only so much residue I'm willing to leave on the bike to look "oily rag", the engine covers were over the line. A bit of degreaser and a quick pass with an old t-shirt...

IMG_9470.JPG

Houston, WE HAVE SPARK!

IMG_9471.JPG

I sure don't know what THIS bodge was about, but I couldn't stand looking at it...

IMG_9472.JPG

GONE!

IMG_9473.JPG

Necessity, here is another of your children...

IMG_9482.JPG

Don't laugh, it works!

One carb relatively clean, the other had some varnish...

IMG_9481.JPG

I gave the outsides only a light cleaning, to keep with the "oily rag" look. I don't want anything sticking out as "too shiny" for the rest of the bike. Forgot to get a shot of the clean bowls and mains, but they're clean...

IMG_9484.JPG

Lubed the throttle cables and I get a nice roll-on, snap off. I also replaced the missing low speed screw on the left carb, with one I had in my Amal spares tray at the ranch.

I didn't bother to film the compression check, the tester I used (I have 3) didn't hold the pressure on the guage. When it almost popped the tester out of my hand, I knew there's more than enough compression...

Got the front brakes done yesterday, cleaned (not overhauled) the system and installed a new hose. NICE, solid brakes with a SINGLE round of bleeding bubbles; that's not a first, but it's rare (for me).

Master cylinder was pretty grungy (as you could imagine)

IMG_9440.JPG

Basic cleaning, smoothed the piston face so as not to scratch the bore, replaced the main piston seal, cleaned the cylinder & reservoir...

IMG_9486.JPG

Quick clean of the caliper...

brakecaliper comparo.jpg

Done. Nice solid brakes, no drips/leaks. The bike still has the original hose retainer clips. More and more, everything is old & dirty, but NOT clapped out, stripped, zip-tied, or missing. The original owner was very good to his machine.

IMG_9487.JPG

It's a 1974 model, purchased in '74, the last registration was 1978; that means it was only ridden 5 years max. Odometer shows 12,756 miles, so that means it only averaged slightly over 2,550 miles per year (50 miles per week). Judging by the appearance of all the internal stuff, the owner was pretty good about servicing and maintaining it. Nice.

GREAT NEWS!!!

Our daughter is in High School Band "Color Guard", and was performing at the Alamodome (they are in 5A finals today). So, I went to San Antonio Sunday. While there, I passed by the previous owner's place (phone numbers were no longer working), and they were home! I was able to get a corrected Bill of Sale, photo of his driver's license, and had him sign an application for a certified copy of the title (which will be sent to me). So, the bike will be totally legal!

I ALMOST got it fired up yesterday, but one of the fuel inlet screens is cracked, so that carb was flowing gas the instant I turned on the fuel tap. Will get some replacement bits from the ranch today...

Well, alrighty!

Swapped out the leaking carb float bowl & inlet screen, nipped it all up, and no leaks.

First kick with enrichers (choke) - NADA.

Second kick without choke - pop, pop!

Third kick - VROOM! Blew rust, dust, and a wasp nest out the pipes.

Took it for a test ride, and everything works as it should. I'm happy.

Last edited:
Got the VIN inspection done yesterday, right as the e-bay auction ended. So paperwork is complete.

1 bidder at my starting price of $5,000

I had 2 or 3 guys ping me off-e-bay to say they wanted the bike, but they never bid. << WHY DO PEOPLE DO THAT???

$1 higher bid and they could've won...

Tax office said just having the VIN inspected wasn't going to do it. I had to drive all over the place to get the Bonded Title process done, but it's done and the Title application went thru. Couple of weeks and it'll arrive in the mail.

Buyer is excited, we need to get together on a date to deliver/collect it.

Oh, forgot to post last weekend - I took the bike for a proper test ride. 11 miles total, had it up to 70 a couple of times with no fuss. I bit of clutch slippage at higher revs will clean right up with an hour's work. Brakes are great, shifting is decent, handling is just fine even with the old tires. Tach cable doesn't stay put on the drive, but the tach DOES work...

IMG_9591.JPG

Well, I think I have a donor bike for a ZRX/ADV 1200. It came without a fairing, so I won't have to give up a good one. It's a "bitsa" bike, so not 'precious' (so to speak)... In other words, no nice/original ZRXs will be harmed in the making of this ZRX/ADV.

IMG_9904.JPG

Got it for just a tad more than the profit made on the last Norton "wake-up", so the NEXT one should be FREE!!!!!

I'm looking at SLIGHTLY taller suspension, fork tube gaiters, ADV pattern tyres, bash plate, taller bars, tall-ish windscreen, additional lighting, and packs/bags.

Back