• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What's going on out at GrandPaul's Place?

Adventure is riding a pig in the sand and not breaking a leg, right? :lol2:
I think it's cool. My riding buddy rode a green "non-adventure" one.

Adventure is riding a pig in the sand and not breaking a leg, right? :lol2:
I think it's cool. My riding buddy rode a green "non-adventure" one.
"Adventure" is however, whatever, and wherever, you make it.

Ordered the Bash Plate...

Shovel.jpg

Not a bad plan. I have a couple spare KLR skid plates I should make snow shovels out of.

Okay, the weather broke and I got to work on the Bash Plate. Getting the handle off was a bit of a bugger. The new cordless angle grinder came in handy...

IMG_0067.JPG

That is one TOUGH SON OF A GUN!!!! I whacked it pretty smartly with the 10# sledge and it noisily protested...

IMG_0068.JPG

Once I cut out the hump (which was totally in the way), the sledge was far more effective. I'm going to employ additional persuasion, then weld the split.

IMG_0069.JPG

It fits quite nice, but will need some robust structural mounting. Actually has very complimentary lines! That dang collector is way too low...

IMG_0072.JPG

Very good ideal.looking forward to how you bracket mount it.
I have the same grinder. The Bauer cordless tools have treated me great over the years and reliable. The prices are great too.

Very good ideal.looking forward to how you bracket mount it.
Accessory mount clamps from e-bay. Like the kind you mount light bars or steering dampers with. I will weld tabs onto the shovel to bolt up to the clamp nubs.

Last time out on the open road, I noticed if I hammered the throttle at highway speed, the bike would "stutter"...

hee hee

Got the modified top yoke installed yesterday! That was a good bit of work, as I had to remove the fairing first, then re-install it afterwards. In between, I had to dislocate the front brake hose junction block, and I still need to fab up an easy spacer plate for it to get re-mounted. First, stripped off the keyswitch, cleaned it up and gave it a touch of Rust-O-Leum glossy black paint, then let it dry with a space heater while I proceeded to dismantle and prep...

IMG_0133.JPG

Finally got the OEM yoke out of there, what a chore!

IMG_0132.JPG

I had to grind out the original keyswitch security hardware and swap locks to keep all my stuff keyed alike. Only fasteners I could scrounge up with the proper threads were a couple of sad Pozi Drive screws. Oh well, they worked...

IMG_0134.JPG

I nipped up the steering nut and set up the yoke with the first leg sitting with it's blue cap just proud of the new lower pinch circle, then set my caliper. Matched the other leg and snugged everything up.

IMG_0135.JPG

Angle of the photo is goofy, the sump pan now has 7 inches of clearance. Yes, pipe is now the lowest obstacle.

IMG_0139.JPG

Originally 4-7/8" clear from bottom of bottom yoke to top of seal, bike at rest, propped vertical against a wall. Right at 6" clear with modified top yoke. So, 1-1/8" gained on front suspension.

IMG_0144A.jpg

Well, today I went off the deep end and dove into the last of my play money.

Muzzy full 4-into-2 system under $500 shipped! That'll increase clearance by well over an inch.

I have a jet selection, so I'm reasonably sure I can jet 'em clean...

headers.jpg

Shinko ADV pattern tire pair on the cheap.

tires.jpg

Custom low profile sump pan already on the way.

Under $1,200 total spent, plus fairing and other stuff I had on hand (less than $100) Not too shabby.

Can't wait to get all the remaining stuff done...

Back