• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

FZ1 Owners...Pros/Cons

Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Last Name
Nappier
I am considering an FZ1 as my next bike. I would like to hear the good and the bad about the bike from current and previous owners.

Never owned one but rode one several times. Fitted with full luggage and a top box it made a fantastic tourer. What's not to like about a detuned R1 engine in a good chassis and sensible ergonomics?

I just bought one and love it. It is a 2006 with a Micron pipe and Corbin seat.

This bike has great power and handling.:rider:

I just bought one and love it. It is a 2006 with a Micron pipe and Corbin seat.

This bike has great power and handling.:rider:

Comfort? Clean wind? I know the short windshield doesn't do much, maybe keep wind off your chest, but is the air on the helmet clean at freeway speeds?

I've got a '02 that I recently bought. I absolutely love it. It's fast (someone else already mentioned the R1 engine) and it's comfortable, even on longer rides. I've tried the leaned-over sport bikes and they just aren't comfortable for me ... but I also don't want a cruiser because I like the speed and acceleration of a sportbike.

Jnap.. wht part of spring are you in?

I can let ya sit on a first gen if you want. :-)

Personally I wouldn't hesitate. If I was in the market for a sport tourer/sensible sport bike, that would be the one. It's comfortable two-up, will carry a ton of luggage and teh best thing is the engine......it just rolls on the power at any speed or gear. The R1 motor is a really peach and bomb proof too as it has been around a few years.

Comfort? Clean wind? I know the short windshield doesn't do much, maybe keep wind off your chest, but is the air on the helmet clean at freeway speeds?

No problems with the wind which really surprised me. Very comfortable have put in several 500 mi days.

I am considering an FZ1 as my next bike. I would like to hear the good and the bad about the bike from current and previous owners.

I've ridden extensively both first and second generation. The first gen is carb based but is actually more comfortable in terms of ergonomics very good for long-distance riding. I road one with Ohlins suspension. It was a superb ride with ample amount of performance and power. I would opt for the first gen for this reason. Consider it a FJR on steroids!

131482405-M.jpg

The second generation started in 2006. They had some fuel injection problems and you had to make some tweaks to resolve the throttle snatch. The 2009 FZ1 models have all the known issues resolved but the ergonomics for long-distance riding are not as good as the first gen.

The R1 like engine is superb and is time-tested.

RB

I read about some of the changes but is it really that different a bike from genI and genII?

If you believe what's in the magazines, the frist generation had less hit at the top end, but lots of midrange grunt while the newer one has more power at the top and less midrange. Basically, You have to rev the newer engine to get the power, but there's more on tap.

I currently have a 01. But I don't get to ride it much. I had a 02 I took to Wyoming in July. I averaged upper forty's mpg and could go 215 miles comfortably. I preferred the wind over a goldwing was not nearly as hot. You do get heat on your right leg from the motor. The power on demand is awesome. I never had carb troubles I think if you maintain them you shouldn't have any probs. I used soft luggage but they do make hard luggage kits for them.

The bad. It likes to wheelie and goes fast!

If you want to ride a first gen your welcome to take it for a spin.

I currently have a 01. But I don't get to ride it much.

...cuz I take it as my daily commuter. With a top case on it, it's perfect for daily riding in traffic and will hold everything I need to get to work and back, go to the store for a few things, etc.

I miss riding my V-Strom in traffic though just because it looked "meaner" and people got out of my way faster. :trust:

I've ridden extensively both first and second generation. The first gen is carb based but is actually more comfortable in terms of ergonomics very good for long-distance riding. I road one with Ohlins suspension. It was a superb ride with ample amount of performance and power. I would opt for the first gen for this reason. Consider it a FJR on steroids!

131482405-M.jpg

The second generation started in 2006. They had some fuel injection problems and you had to make some tweaks to resolve the throttle snatch. The 2009 FZ1 models have all the known issues resolved but the ergonomics for long-distance riding are not as good as the first gen.

RB

Nice response and nice bike. Thanks

I picked up an '09 FZ1 last month. I have owned many motorcycles, and find the Fizzy to be a better Bandit. A proverbial Wolf in Sheep's clothing. Tough to quantify, but I find the Fizzy to be a bit sharper than the Bandit. That includes being more "peaky" in the power-band, but it will pull and pull hard at about 6K RPMs. Like the Bandit, the Fizzy can be outfitted for the long haul, or as a respectable track bike. The suspension is more taught than the Bandit, and that gives me better feedback, inspiring more confidence. Gas mileage is kind of crummy, only getting into Honda Accord territory at 35 mpg. However, it has just had the first service but is not considered "broke-in" until after 1K miles. I expect to get about 42 mpg, and that is on par with my Concours 14. If I am careful I can get near 50 mpg on my daily commute, but for weekend riding at a spirited pace it is always less.

There will be others that see the Bandit as the better bike, and I would not say that they are wrong. For me I wanted a bike in the garage with respectable performance that I could take to the track and not be folded up like origami. It gave me the best option for something that would not be so narrow in focus that I would not enjoy riding it on a daily basis on the street.

but the ergonomics for long-distance riding are not as good as the first gen.

RB

What he said. I get 40-ish regularly with the Dale's Holeshot Stage 2 kit, the yosh, K&N and such. I've never had fueling problems at all, but the alternator doesnt like the heated grips on 100% of the time, so I put it on a minder in the winter overnights.

The maintenance intervals are great too...26k for valves. THe only thing not really mentioned enough is the Exup maintenance - which is stupid easy.

Mine happens to eat oil. Some do, most don't. I go thru +/- 3 qts between changes, others won't use a drop.

One last point...I got my first-ever speeding ticket on a bike since 1990...ON THE FZ; believe that it like you to dig in.

Attachments

• DSC05887.jpg
    DSC05887.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 991
I read about some of the changes but is it really that different a bike from genI and genII?

Totally different bikes - Carbs to FI, Steel Tubular Frame to Aluminum Spar, Completely different motor, Different seating positions..

Both are great bikes, and the 2nd Gen's need a few more tuning tweaks than the first gens to run right.

My ST1300 is very top heavy and difficult in slow speed manuvers. Is the FZ1 top heavy and how is it in parking lot manuvers? Thanks for all the feedback.

I don't find it to be top heavy at all. I can inch forward at nearly-stopped speeds in traffic and not really think about putting my feet down unless we are actually getting to 0 for a minute. In parking lots I instinctively put my feet down anyway, but it moves around well in tight spaces.

i had an 02 i bought new and had 47K miles on until i loaned it to a harley friend who promptly crashed the heck out of it. (fyi: front brakes are compromised when tire is not in contact with pavement. i thought everyone would have known that....)
i loved the gen1 for what it was and replaced it with a new 06 gen2.
i have had to spend a few extra $$ on the 06 to be happy with it but at 23K miles there is not another bike i would be willing to trade it in on.
i commute to work most everyday and will use it with soft luggage for two up trips. i have also done several track days on it and taken it to the drag strip once. (i have other bikes too.)
hope that helps, e-mail me if you have any specific issues or questions.
cheers, haas

I picked up an '09 FZ1 last month. I have owned many motorcycles, and find the Fizzy to be a better Bandit. A proverbial Wolf in Sheep's clothing. Tough to quantify, but I find the Fizzy to be a bit sharper than the Bandit. That includes being more "peaky" in the power-band, but it will pull and pull hard at about 6K RPMs. Like the Bandit, the Fizzy can be outfitted for the long haul, or as a respectable track bike. The suspension is more taught than the Bandit, and that gives me better feedback, inspiring more confidence. QUOTE]

Ditto. Having owned a Bandit and ridden the FZ1 I can agree. The Yam is a much better machine alround. It just feels like a newer motorcycle than the Bandit, sharper and more responsive. I think that build quality of the Yamaha is better too. I bought the wrong one. :-(

Back