• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

FZ1 Owners...Pros/Cons

I've also recently ridden both. Ended up buying the FZ1 Gen 2. The fz6 I rode was a 2009 with 400 miles on it. If price alone was the factor i would have bought it cause it was only 4500 at a dealer! So, yes you should see price difference. Same dealer had a FZ1 2006 with 14,000 miles on it for 6500.

If you are buying it for your wife I'd go with the FZ6 cause its a smooth ride and nice handling. I preferred the FZ1. It is a flattering bike to ride and when you want to feel the power its there. If the bike is for you and you're used to a big bike with lots of torque and hp, go with the FZ1. IMHO.

You are talking 600cc vs 1000cc, so big differences in torque and mpg will be there. I sat on the two new ones and I actually found the FZ1 to be more comfortable, despite my short stature.

+1. The 6 actually felt bigger to me. I'm 5'7, 175lbs

>Aside from the hp/tq and mpg how do the two compare? When looking at used there dosn't seem to be a huge difference in the price of the two..
Thanks for all the input guys. I probably did not comunicate well what I really wanted to know. I have seat time on GSXR1K's and it's little brother so yeah I know there will be the power/fuel economy difference.

Some of you did touch on my main intrest though and that is that the 1k "felt" more comfortable or that the six "felt" larger. I started out looking at the fz6 and sv600's and then looked at the specs of its larger sybling. There just did not seem to be much draw back to getting the larger bike, weight and height did not increase much.

My wife is not the type that will just twist the throttle and hold on so I'm not concerned that the performance would be to much, and yet later on she might appreciate the extra power. The FZ and the SV's are what I have been looking at mainly because wieght is less then 500 lbs, no clip on handle bars and pretty good performance.

The price diff I was refering to was on used bikes, unless I ran up on a smokin deal on a new one there are just too many great deals on used bikes right now.

Is your ride height stock? I've got mine lowered and added a hyperpro 650# spring in the back (to stop the sponginess of the lowering links and help 2up) so I can flat-foot it.
It had lowering links on it when I got it, but I didn't like the geometry or the sponginess that you refer to. First mods I did was to put it back to stock height and flip the handlebar risers around. Yea, I can't flat foot the bike, but I've never been able to flat foot any sportbike...and certainly no dirtbike...in the past, and I've just gotten used to it. Doesn't bother me a bit. And...coming from the DRZSM, it feels much shorter. :lol2:

Well it took a while. Vacation, out of town class, weather, getting new tires on my bike. But I finally got together with HaasFogle and traded rides. He gets to cruise in style on my v-rod while I ride his great sounding, heavily farkled gen II FZ1. I have only ridden it about 30 miles on and off the freeway so its a bit early to form my final opinion so far this is my likes/dislikes;

power is good (2 tooth larger rear sprocket)
Light compared to my bikes this thing is very lightweight)
Wind protection mid size shield puts clean air in my face and shoulders
sound the yoshimura exhaust sounds very sweet

not sure yet:
position weight on my arms, long trip
buzzing i need gel gloves

dislikes:
I don't own one

I will add/modify my lists when I get to ride more. Hopefully this weekend will be nice weather.

not sure yet:
position weight on my arms, long trip
buzzing i need gel gloves

dislikes:
I don't own one

I will add/modify my lists when I get to ride more. Hopefully this weekend will be nice weather.

The FZ should not buzz if you are using syn oil and have the throttle bodies properly adjusted. The detuned R1 engine is very smooth.

If you still have the buzz, consider getting a PC3 and using it to smooth the throttle response. It will contribute to the silky feel when going down the road. Make sure you get the proper PC FI map for the bike and exhaust. You might also get some extra rubber throttle sleeves. As an added tip, take your bar ends off and use bar-snake in the tube to reduce vibration. The cheaper route is squirt silicone rubber in the bars, perhaps sand and or BB pellets to attenuate the sound from the bike might work also. If you still are feeling the buzz, you probably need to cut back on the amount of beers you are drinking.

Bar risers of course will relive the wrist, but being higher up will increase buffeting...so you will probably need a taller wind shield.

RB

some notes on my bike: it has aftermarket bars and risers. (rizoma) the stock items felt fine (a bit taller btw) and a touch more "rigid" (they were steel, now they are aluminum) and the only reason i upgraded was the bike was involved in a crash while on my trailer coming home from a TWS trackday.
also johnny, if you notice the grips. i use the rock hard road racing style magura grips. grab-on style foam may be more suited to you in the beginning.
my bike is well tuned but it is nearly due for a major maintenance. its at about 25K miles and cables need to be adjusted and lubed, fresh plugs, etc.

the v-rod is great! my only gripe is the highway peg sitting position and shifter access doesnt suit me well. however it is by far the nicest cruiser i have enjoyed. (2nd was a vulcan 800 classic. nice ride!) the biggest difference is the bike sitting in front of the office this morning...
i have driven various ducatis, R1's, husky super motard, KLR's, race bikes and nobody has ever asked. today the talk in the plant is who is riding the beautiful harley.

:rider:cheers, haas

It's like going from a stretch limo to a porsche. Both nice in different ways.
The v-rod is certainly the looker, not a bad ride either. I am used to the forward feet controls. It would be nice if it also had mid pegs just to give a different position on long trips.

1. Not sure about the Gen2 but the Gen1 has mounts for highway pegs up front on the frame. Something you might consider.
2. Some folks have experienced buzzing in the bars. The former owner of my bike has wrist problems and is very sensitive to the buzzing and he went through several bikes before he got one that didn't affect him, including two FZ1's.
3. You can and probably will adjust the bar position. I flipped the risers around on my Gen1 FZ1 to move the bars back a little bit which helped, because I'm short and have short arms. Lots of customization that can be done in this area.
4. Light weight? Oh right, your comparing it to a Harley! :mrgreen: I had a DRZSM before I got mine and I thought it was a heavy tank.

4. Light weight? Oh right, your comparing it to a Harley! :mrgreen: I had a DRZSM before I got mine and I thought it was a heavy tank.

Harley, Honda ST1300, kawi zg1000, kawi zzr1200. I guess I have riden mostly heavy bikes.

1. Not sure about the Gen2 but the Gen1 has mounts for highway pegs up front on the frame. Something you might consider.
2. Some folks have experienced buzzing in the bars. The former owner of my bike has wrist problems and is very sensitive to the buzzing and he went through several bikes before he got one that didn't affect him, including two FZ1's.
3. You can and probably will adjust the bar position. I flipped the risers around on my Gen1 FZ1 to move the bars back a little bit which helped, because I'm short and have short arms. Lots of customization that can be done in this area.

1. yep, got 'em
2. Most bikes with bad vibes in the bars can be cured with sealing the holes and adding play sand inside of them. Its one of the best $3 mods out there
3. I've never thought about doing that, I may do that this weekend!

Test ride report
I finally got out for a ride Sunday, only 100 miles but enough for me to get a good feel for the FZ1.
I jumped on the freeway and thought I could live with this. OK wind protection, buffeting was minimal at 75-80 until I hit strong winds but what bike does good in strong wind.
Compared to what I am used to this bike feels very light, easy to ride and comfy enough.
Power is very good. The sound is awesome. I did ride a neighbors XZ14 Saturday. The XZ14 is a rocket the FZ1 is more comfy and is a jet.
I love the style and look of the FZ1. Thanks Haas :clap:

4073304762_6b57450e4c.jpg

Today I rode about 30 miles to exchange bikes with Haas. I like my bike but its nite and day, its a sports car and a truck. I never really gave any thought to my bike being heavy until today. My seating position is more comfy. Conclusion is I like and want them both. :lol2:

2949390901_df2bd39ab2.jpg

no problem johnny, anytime.
i thought your plan to swap bikes with someone for a week was a great one!
what better way to find out if you fit that new bike you are thinking of??
(especially when neither party has a vested interest or a bike for sale.)

i enjoyed the v-rod and it did everything a bike should do in the week i had it, but wish i could have had the time to put some miles on it on the weekend....
however riding my bike again yesterday was like going home. the FZ1 really fits me well and suits my riding style. i think the biggest plus may have been backing it out of my raceshoppe this morn and pushing it down the alley, through the gate and down the street a bit like i do everyday before i start (just a courtesy to the neighbors) my bike. maneuvering yours in that ritual took much much more effort!!:-P

one thing of note about the vsrc: self cancelling turn signals. shouldnt all bikes have that?

cheers, haas:rider:

Back