• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

FZ1 Owners...Pros/Cons

I thought about trading the Bandit for one, but couldn't get in red.

Deal beaker. :giveup:

Besides, I've had the Bandit for so long, done so many mods and maintenance to it, it's like family. Could never stand to part with it.

Nothing but good stuff. It is looking like the FZ1 will be my next bike. If I can just convince my wife why I need to change bikes again! She says the Honda is our bike and I can't get rid of it, and I'm not quite ready to part with the V-ROD. What to do, oh bother.

Nothing but good stuff. It is looking like the FZ1 will be my next bike. If I can just convince my wife why I need to change bikes again! She says the Honda is our bike and I can't get rid of it, and I'm not quite ready to part with the V-ROD. What to do, oh bother.

Hard to see how an FZ-1 would replace an ST..........but the FZ certainly beats the Vrod in about every measure.

What kind of tank range do the Gen 1 and Gen 2 FZ1's have?

i cant recall on the gen1, but my 06 will show about 120 commuter miles and about 140 on a trip before the idiot light comes on. about 3.2 to 3.5 gallons at that point. there is supposed to be another gallon left but i have never pushed (literally) it.:rofl:
haas

The Gen I has a fuel gauge (that actually works) so it makes it A LOT easier to know when to fill up. Dunno about the Gen II.

I thought about trading the Bandit for one, but couldn't get in red.

Deal beaker. :giveup:

Besides, I've had the Bandit for so long, done so many mods and maintenance to it, it's like family. Could never stand to part with it.

I have the red one, its faster!

If your thinking about getting rid of the St. Have you considered other bikes? I picked up a Tiger and I seem to like it more than the Fz. It is more capable of two up riding than the Fz. Just sayin.

But I don't think there is allot planned for Sunday evening if you want to meet up. I will have to check the other halfs schedule to be sure.

If your thinking about getting rid of the St. Have you considered other bikes? I picked up a Tiger and I seem to like it more than the Fz. It is more capable of two up riding than the Fz. Just sayin.

Hmmm ... but I don't recall the FZ leaking oil. :mrgreen:

If I recall, the gen 1 has a 5gal tank...and i've been getting about 32 mpg running errands (lotta stop-n-go)

Comfort? Clean wind? I know the short windshield doesn't do much, maybe keep wind off your chest, but is the air on the helmet clean at freeway speeds?

The short windshield is just the right size to be worthless. I creates a lot of helmet noise and buffeting. Mostly comparing this to a good sport bike with a clean shield setup. My best friend has this bike and I love riding it but we both agree completely on this point. Overall they are awesome bikes and they are so incredibly easy to ride I call it the super scooter. This is the easiest bike to ride out of the 5 bikes we have between us. The engine never protests in any gear and any rev range. This is the first generation FZ1 and it has the cable clutch which is so light and a joy to ride around town. Not the best bike on the highway though with the stock screen. Awesome engine. Ergonomics are great and at 6' 7" I'm comfortable on it.

Honestly, it all depends on what you want out of the bike. Considering your garage currently I see it being kind of hard to fit it in there. It'll be more sporty than the ST, yet not nearly as comfortable for taking on trips. It's very comfortable by sportbike standards though.

I get about 165 miles before the light comes on and that leaves me with about 40 more miles to go. I'm getting about 38 mpg on average on my Gen I. The second gen bike has a smaller tank so you'll be stopping to stretch your legs and fill up a bit more often.

As far as the windshield. You can stay with stock, or you can go with many other options. The most expensive, and what seems to be the most popular is the MRA Vario Touring screen. I don't have that one, but here's the two I do have.

This is my Cee Bailey touring screen. I use it in the winter time because I get almost ZERO airflow behind it. Not so good in the summertime though as it's so stll the air in the helmet gets hot and stale.

IMG_1655c.jpg

In the summertime I picked up this Puig sport screen and I really like it. I wasn't sure about it at first due to the buffeting and amount of wind hitting my helmet. But all that was mainly the difference coming from the touring screen. After a full summer of commuting I don't even notice the wind anymore.

IMG_2271.JPG

Pilot Road 2 tires will last a long time and seem to work very well on this bike.

This was my first naked sportbike with handlebars. I will NEVER go back to a fully faired sportbike with clipons for the street again. It rocks everything I've thrown at it and I can't wait to get it on the track. I'm very comfortable on the bike and I have to say, I really don't see a bike out there that would replace it for being my "do it all" bike. Maybe a Tuono, but that's money I don't have.

Every day I ride this bike, I love it a little bit more. At almost 50k miles (I've only put about 9k on there) it's not burning any oil and all maintenance has been very easy.

Here's my current daily commuter setup and it works very very well.

IMG_2407.JPG

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

looks like there are a few red ones after all.........I especially like the white/red stripe kit. I used to own a 1981 550 Seca, white w/red and bikini fairing.

But I don't think there is allot planned for Sunday evening if you want to meet up. I will have to check the other halfs schedule to be sure.

Just let me know when your available. You would be surprised at how much fun the V-ROD is. I would also like a Sprint ST, great looking bike.

Considering your garage currently I see it being kind of hard to fit it in there.

And how do you know how big my garage is? :lol2::lol2:
You have a great looking bike! Thanks for all the feedback. I have gone thru alot of bikes in the last few years trying to figure out what I like and want to keep. It's a shame we can't rent all models and hard to get test rides even if you do test ride how much can you tell in 15 minutes.

Oh I hate to even suggest it so deep in an FZ1 love-fest thread but... have you given the Suzuki Bandit 1250 any thought? Not as sporty/sharp as the Fizzer, but certainly a huge leap in the sporty direction compared to the ST1300. The two share lots of similarities...

Just food for thought.

trey

Oh I hate to even suggest it so deep in an FZ1 love-fest thread but.

trey

Love fest for a lovable bike! I had an 03, the comfy predecessor to the potholder-for-a-seat 06 and up. Nearly everything on this thread is spot-on. Traded the fizzy at 48K for a new Tiger - went from the best quality and reliability to the worst. Got rid of it a year later.

Still miss the g-force the FZ1 was capable of generating, more thrills than the GS I have now, and the first gen (up to 2005) were very comfy for long trips. 1st Gen FZ1s are wonderful.

Oh I hate to even suggest it so deep in an FZ1 love-fest thread but... have you given the Suzuki Bandit 1250 any thought? Not as sporty/sharp as the Fizzer, but certainly a huge leap in the sporty direction compared to the ST1300. The two share lots of similarities...
Just food for thought.
trey

Absolutely, sitting on them at the dealer the Bandit is more comfy than the FZ1 but heavier and getting closer to the ST1300. I wanted lighter and fun, I also like the black motor and I have read much less gripe about the wind.

And how do you know how big my garage is? :lol2::lol2:
You have a great looking bike! Thanks for all the feedback. I have gone thru alot of bikes in the last few years trying to figure out what I like and want to keep. It's a shame we can't rent all models and hard to get test rides even if you do test ride how much can you tell in 15 minutes.

if you were closer to me i'd swap you my FZ1 for the VROD for a week.
(i think we should all be open to that type of swapping!!)
if we did i probably wouldnt have a new ducati 1098 that mostly just sits and looks pretty....
haas

Traded the fizzy at 48K for a new Tiger - went from the best quality and reliability to the worst. Got rid of it a year later.
Keep that in mind when Jamey is trying to sell you on his new Tiger!

if you were closer to me i'd swap you my FZ1 for the VROD for a week.
(i think we should all be open to that type of swapping!!)
if we did i probably wouldnt have a new ducati 1098 that mostly just sits and looks pretty....
haas

SugarLand isn't that far, I am open to swapping for a week or so. On Oct.1 I am going to the Hill Country on the ROD. I started a lets swap rides thread a while back but got little response. Next we can discuss that pretty ducati.:trust:

Back