• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HONDA XR650L OWNER'S SIGN IN

Re: XR650L OWNERS SIGN IN

Cool vid! Looks like some great ridin' out there, especially toward the end.:rider: I see marker ribbons, do y'all race there as well?

We put on a enduro once a year. The riding is great as long as it not dry and dusty. We have 50+ miles of one way trail. Most of the trail is open like you see in the video but it does close up in parts.:rider:

Stewart

Guys, Just talked to Agman and it looks like we're confirmed for the 25-28th to pre-ride the ET450. We'll be eating off plates and sleeping in a proper hotel just like the real folk do, but camping or just trucking in for the day is up to rider.

Stuwbaby, like to meet you and have you show us around around if you can make all or part of it.

At this point I'm suggesting the Moscow area as a base. It's close to most of us and makes a day trip from Houston, Galveston and Beaumont almost reasonable.

Thoughts

We put on a enduro once a year. The riding is great as long as it not dry and dusty. We have 50+ miles of one way trail. Most of the trail is open like you see in the video but it does close up in parts.:rider:

Stewart

Enduro Race?? When is this?

That's what I thought too! Imagine my surprise when I came over that ledge and hit the gas, haha I mean geez we haven't had but what 1/2" of rain the past 3 months. The surface was all parched and cracked, couldn't believe it was only a 4" crust and a two feet sink hole of muck underneath. I didn't get muddy when I fell over and weight spread out, as the surface crust would hold. Only when you tried to stand and all weight to your boots, then you'd sink slowly same as quicksand.

I laid there laughing for a minute waiting for my son to arrive, then laughed for another minute with him before getting up. :giveup:

_
Next time we get together ask me about the time I got my '79 CR125 hopelessly stuck on the mud flats on the N side of Lake Somerville!!:eek2: :eek2: :lol2: Wound up being a 2 day ordeal getting it out!:nana: :rofl:

Guys, Just talked to Agman and it looks like we're confirmed for the 25-28th to pre-ride the ET450. We'll be eating off plates and sleeping in a proper hotel just like the real folk do, but camping or just trucking in for the day is up to rider.

Stuwbaby, like to meet you and have you show us around around if you can make all or part of it.

At this point I'm suggesting the Moscow area as a base. It's close to most of us and makes a day trip from Houston, Galveston and Beaumont almost reasonable.

Thoughts

I like to meet you guys,but I can't get loose till September. Keep me in the loop.

Thanks
Stewart

Enduro Race?? When is this?

It's a timed race. Basically you have to be at a certain point at a certain time and you have to be there at that certain time. You can’t be early and you can’t be late. Now days Enduro have changed. There like a series of small hare scrambles. You trail ride thru a transfer section until you get to a test section. When it's your time to enter the test section you haul *** to the end of the test. You scored on you time thru the test. Usually the tests are anywhere from 5mi to 8mi long. There usually about 5 to 8 test sections. The race is usually about 50 for the short course and 70mi for the long. I use to be a hard core hare scrambler but I now like the enduros, you get time to rest a little between hauling ***.:rider:

Dunlop D606 front and back. I sometimes use a Dunlop D756 on the front for better off road grip but it's not a D.O.T. approved tire. :dude:
Same for me...D606s and I love 'em.

I was paddling with both feet the other day when I hit that sugar bowl down in Lavaca. Bad part about it was I knew it was there and waded off into it too far up on the handlebars. I tried to made it look like I had slowed down so that Rman could see what was coming up.:rofl:

I tried to made it look like I had slowed down so that Rman could see what was coming up.:rofl:
That ain't no joke, I was about 1/8 mile behind playing catch-up, at least 65 mph and I saw M start duck walking!!:eek2: Hit the brakes thinking "what's his problem?" Split second later:eek2: I was duck walking too!!:rofl: Take it easy on Lavaca County backroads, lots of surprises!

Same for me...D606s and I love 'em.

Same here, D606's but I find them a little noisier than the Parrelli MT21 @ my normal running pressure 16-18 psi. (although if I know I'm going in the rocks I will run them at about 25+ psi and then they are a little quieter when I hit the pavement sections).

I just bought a set of these:

Shinko 244

08Shinko244SeriesMD.gif

http://www.bikebandit.com/shinko-244-motorcycle-tire

But I haven't mounted them yet so I'll hold my tongue for now until I have tried them. But I hear they are great for the price.

Same here, D606's but I find them a little noisier than the Parrelli MT21 @ my normal running pressure 16-18 psi. (although if I know I'm going in the rocks I will run them at about 25+ psi and then they are a little quieter when I hit the pavement sections).

Shinko 244

08Shinko244SeriesMD.gif

But I haven't mounted them yet so I'll hold my tongue for now until I have tried them. But I hear they are great for the price.

I have the Shinko 244 front and rear. The front tire doesn't work to well in sand, but the rear tire did very well for it's debut at SHNF a couple of weekends ago. I was impressed with the rear.

I have the Shinko 244 front and rear. The front tire doesn't work to well in sand, but the rear tire did very well for it's debut at SHNF a couple of weekends ago. I was impressed with the rear.

I was thinking of just mounting the rear anyway. My last Mena ride proved to us that we need to keep a more aggressive front tire (I almost went off the side of a mountain on a set of Avons, the front washed out in a sharp turn, the rear was ok but I prefer to have the front track a little better when off pavement! - well I was pushing it kinda fast too :giveup:)

I think I'm going to pick up a 606 for the front if I come across a little extra coin, to give a little more bite when we fly through the sand.

I'm riding 244s right now, and I must agree that the front could be more aggressive. It's great on the road and pretty good on gravel, but when the ground gets soft, it is a little washy. Still, it's a great improvement from Metzlers!

The 244 rear is very stable and consistent. I like to break the rear loose on the corners, and the 244 doesn't give me any surprises.

244s are dirt cheap, too.

Just to give my two cents ;-). I have been running the Pirelli Scorpion Pros and love the traction and handling off road. They handled the soft stuff, sand and rocks at Big Bend quite well.....Except for the large rock that destroyed the rear tire 20 miles from the pavement. But even then, I was able to ride the tire out of the desert with no problems. They are aggressive as heck, but i mainly do off road riding anyways. I'd say 75% off, 25 % on. They are a little on the expensive side. I also have a set of trackmasters at the house, but i have yet to ride on them. They came with the bike when i bought it.

Shinko 244

08Shinko244SeriesMD.gif

606s are noisier? With my helmet on and with the sound of the motor and the pipe, I couldn't hear a 44 magnum fired 50 feet behind me...of course my hearing isn't what it used to be.

606s are noisier? With my helmet on and with the sound of the motor and the pipe, I couldn't hear a 44 magnum fired 50 feet behind me...of course my hearing isn't what it used to be.

And with your riding style, I can understand why people would be firing 44 magnums at you!! :lol2:

Gary

Back