• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend Rally March 2nd to 5th 2023

Someone needs to start a ride report thread instead of posting here so other folks will see if they have not been watching this thread.

I agree, someone already crashed and broke their leg on River Road.
Yeah, that was Corbin, he was taken care of pretty quick (unsure of TWT ID)

Happens every year 🧛‍♂️

Anyone else ride out and back, camped all nights?

edit: mextrekadv (Peter) is still down there so the report thread will probably come up sometime this week

Last edited:
Reg’d and paid, and looking forward to it!
Two Tim’s registered so this is a 50/50 shot. If you are the Tim that rode River rd with Dan and Pablo? Any way if so you were going to show me an air compressor you liked. Please elaborate.

I ended up leaving on Saturday, but I never met Peter. Did I just go to all of the wrong meetups?

Great trip anyway, just could have done this on my own.

I ended up leaving on Saturday, but I never met Peter. Did I just go to all of the wrong meetups?

I’ve been watching this thread, looking forward to and waiting for all the trail stories. There were plenty of signups. Where’d everybody go?

Were you on the whatsapp thread? And/or go to the ride meetings in the morning?

I’ve been watching this thread, looking forward to and waiting for all the trail stories. There were plenty of signups. Where’d everybody go?
I'm just waiting on a ride report thread from @Mextrekadv

No on WhatsApp and yes on meetups. Well the dinner on Thursday and the morning meet up on Friday.

In the past, there has been interesting ride comments, pictures, etc. posted to TWT as the event unfolds.
Most of that was posted on whatsapp group, saw some posts on TWT Facebook, Adventure Riders of Austin Facebook.
Perhaps more will get posted on this forum in the ride report section once a thread is started.

I wasn't a part of this group, and refuse to use whatsapp, but here's a quick review of my day down there:

Reactions: JMZ
There won’t be much of a ride report thread here on TWT.

After posting their victories and fails on WhatsApp and fb, how much desire is there to post in a 3rd or even 4th format?

The excitement has already faded. It’s yesterday’s news.

WhatsApp is good for instant communication and logistics with a group.

But it is private and by invite only. And, as in the case above, some one who should have been included, wasn’t. And others may exercise their right to not use it at all. Does that mean those folks should forget about joining any rally or group ride?

WA fails as a way to share experiences with a wider audience. Using WA, instead of a public forum (like TWT), means new people won’t even know an event is pending. Look back on the thread for this year’s Around the Bend. Questions went unanswered. Days went by with no activity. It falls off the front page, becoming nonexistent for most. A new TWT member would likely never see the thread, or if they did, would think the rally was a failure.

How do we draw new riders if the energy and excitement generated about an event is not visible?

After posting their victories and fails on WhatsApp and fb, how much desire is there to post in a 3rd or even 4th format?

But it is private and by invite only. And, as in the case above, some one who should have been included, wasn’t. And others may exercise their right to not use it at all. Does that mean those folks should forget about joining any rally or group ride?

WA fails as a way to share experiences with a wider audience. Using WA, instead of a public forum (like TWT), means new people won’t even know an event is pending. Look back on the thread for this year’s Around the Bend. Questions went unanswered. Days went by with no activity. It falls off the front page, becoming nonexistent for most. A new TWT member would likely never see the thread, or if they did, would think the rally was a failure.

How do we draw new riders if the energy and excitement generated about an event is not visible?
That’s a bit of a dramatic take. Seems like a subtle and unfair swipe at Peter as well. It’s not like his only job is this rally.

That’s a bit of a dramatic take. Seems like a subtle and unfair swipe at Peter as well. It’s not like his only job is this rally.

Peter knows my feelings about using TWT to promote and then taking it private.

PS, He doesn’t need anyone else to defend him either! Lol

But thanks! I’m not usually known for being subtle

The WA platform is very helpful for targeted information on a specific ride but it has taken away from the enjoyment of those not participating on the ride. My involvement with BB and Mexico rides was directly related to seeing and following others experiences on this forum. That's all but dried up. I'm as guilty as anyone.

I know Peter presses folks on WA to come here and post but, to Gina's point, that ship has typically sailed by the time everyone gets back home. I'm not sure what can be done to ensure we're still lighting the fires of adventure on this great forum.

very well spoken!

I'm not sure what can be done to ensure we're still lighting the fires of adventure on this great forum.
1. When the trip starts, make a ride report thread
2. Link to RR and lock this thread
3. Keep the whatsapp chat private, but post in this thread to DM organizer if you're not actively in the chat

Again, ultimately up to the organizer

Back