• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend Rally March 2nd to 5th 2023

1. When the trip starts, make a ride report thread
2. Link to RR and lock this thread
3. Keep the whatsapp chat private, but post in this thread to DM organizer if you're not actively in the chat

Again, ultimately up to the organizer

The above, and add that the WA shouldn’t go active til the event actually begins, i e, first day of riding at the location.

But, rules and regs typically don’t work.

Peter tried to make it mandatory for riders to post in a RR thread after an event. And some did. But most didn’t and some of the posts sounded obligatory, kinda like “What I did on summer vacation”.

It’s up to us members whether we keep TWT relevant.

It’s up to us members whether we keep TWT relevant.

This.

I don't think Peter deserves any blame for a lack of reports here. Nothing stops users from posting on their own. But it is frustrating to follow all the buildup prior to an event and then see nothing afterward.

That said, I totally understand that there are so many social media platforms out there that trying to share stuff everywhere just becomes a real time consuming pain. As a result people tend to gravitate towards one or two and forget the others, particularly those that are quick and easy. Personally, I really miss the detailed ride report threads we used to see that were often presented in a story fashion. It was threads like that on here on TWT, Advrider, and other forums that really got me hooked on adventure riding. I used to do my own detailed ride reports from my adventures here, but I dropped off because that kind of report takes a lot of time to create and time was the one thing that become harder to come by as my kids came along, work got busier, etc,... Posting in multiple locations was almost out of the question for me. For the last few trips I was able to do pre-Covid most of my pics went straight to Facebook at the end of each day with some minimal commentary and then I might do a "photo dump" style report here as well, but again with minimum commentary. The very last trip with my son I made a point to do a full report here, but it took several days of determined effort to get it done. Now that Sarah and Daniel are riding with me, I am trying to do more picture and video taking with some commentary. I just want to inspire other parents/kids to do something similar to what we are doing if they can.

Yup, I've clicked on this thread about 500 times looking to see if a ride report was started somewhere, even though I've been to BB umpteen times :-P. Agree with other's comments, ride reports opened my eyes and brain and made me get out there.....my soul is better for it. And I have tried to keep that spirit alive with my ramblings. Surely someone out of that large BB group ride could blab about the experience and throw some pics in a thread on here, the mothership?

1678293255355.png

I believe there was a healthy participation of “younger” (don’t ask me to define, it’s all relative!) folks on this event.
I was once told by a youngster that he considered Forums as outdated and that people his age did not participate “forums are mostly older people”. LOL
Taken with a grain of salt as I believe ADV Rider forum has participation from Boomers, Gen X, Millennials, and Gen Z’s but I may be wrong - I am not very active there.
Indeed several participants in this event had learned about it via Facebook but had to be led to the forum to register. (This is good 👍🏼)
The activity on the WA group was heavy and brisk; esp for planning travel, lodging and schedules. It then became the natural location for pics and thank yous and brief stories during and after. A few then also posted on a few FB sites.
This event was very different than other years. Nothing against Peter and in fact THANKS for being willing to take on the planning.
The fee was reduced to $25 but (understandably) no meals included for the Thursday nite or Saturday nite; leading to everyone doing their own thing. Thursday was encouraged to go to High Sierra but I don’t think that would really worked even if no power outage.
In the end there was no incentive or opportunity for the entire group to gather in one place to socialize. I really missed this aspect of the Rally. That being said, all of the folks that met up and camped or rode together very much enjoyed their time socializing as well even if only with their circle.

I believe there was a healthy participation of “younger” (don’t ask me to define, it’s all relative!) folks on this event.
I was once told by a youngster that he considered Forums as outdated and that people his age did not participate “forums are mostly older people”. LOL
Taken with a grain of salt as I believe ADV Rider forum has participation from Boomers, Gen X, Millennials, and Gen Z’s but I may be wrong - I am not very active there.
Indeed several participants in this event had learned about it via Facebook but had to be led to the forum to register. (This is good 👍🏼)
The activity on the WA group was heavy and brisk; esp for planning travel, lodging and schedules. It then became the natural location for pics and thank yous and brief stories during and after. A few then also posted on a few FB sites.
This event was very different than other years. Nothing against Peter and in fact THANKS for being willing to take on the planning.
The fee was reduced to $25 but (understandably) no meals included for the Thursday nite or Saturday nite; leading to everyone doing their own thing. Thursday was encouraged to go to High Sierra but I don’t think that would really worked even if no power outage.
In the end there was no incentive or opportunity for the entire group to gather in one place to socialize. I really missed this aspect of the Rally. That being said, all of the folks that met up and camped or rode together very much enjoyed their time socializing as well even if only with their circle.

I'm 26, and you're right to an extent. There was definitely a lower average age at BB than I've ever seen before (about god **** time y'all). It's a little weird when all your friends have kids your age. I appreciate the immediate respect I got leading the newbie ride first day there, I don't always get that from leading other groups, being half their age with twice the experience

Forums are still great for sharing stories. Social media is great for photo dumps and messages between friends/groups, I love TWT for when I have a story to tell.
E.g.,
my 2021 summer and my 2022 summer

(most) Forums are also public, so I can point anyone here and say "look at this", as opposed to making the search through a facebook group or something. I still like forums for posting events officially, discussing details before the event, setting rules/boundaries.

....but yes, forums are for old people 😂

I took very few photos but managed to stay upright the entire time again! We spent a lot more time behind Big Bend Resort this trip. There are places back there that remind me of southern Utah. The food was decent and drinks were plentiful. We met quite a few new friends we will definitely ride with again.

IMG_1270.jpg

IMG_1259.jpg

IMG_1286.jpg

At the parks boundary...

IMG_1281.jpg

Out on river road...

This is certainly true. Also, adventure riding in general is populated by older folks just because they tend to have the necessary disposable income and time to buy expensive bikes, riding gear, accessories, and pay for trips. There is also just a shift in attitudes about the time spent interacting with other people via the internet. Forums tend to lend themselves to more protracted interactions and thus fewer interactions. Also, you don't tend to get the "feedback" that so much of the current social media depends on in terms of likes and "followers". The new platforms tend to favor shorter interactions and more of them. Many young folks would die reading my posts because they usually have complete sentences, punctuation, mostly correct spelling, and more than 25 words :-P Personally, I think the protracted interactions of forums do a better job of creating community where people really get to know each other. I do FB and it just seems that your knowledge of other folks stays at a pretty shallow level unless you actually know them in real life. But, as is the case with so many changes in technologies, I think it just boils down to what people are used to when they first get into something. Carbs vs FI, dino vs synthetic, land line vs cell phone, standard vs automatic, and so on.

I agree. Thank Peter! If you've never organized an event, you have no clue how much work it can be and how much griping there will be no matter how hard to try to please everyone!

In the end, I just want to see the younger folks getting excited and hooked on adventure riding because that is good for the industry and keeps manufacturers cranking out new models for us to enjoy. I would also hope that it helps the older and younger generations come together over a shared passion rather than seeing each other as opponents or someone to be tolerated.

My fault, I did just open WhatsApp and saw 400 messages! Here are some pics of my ride with my buddy Jordan. We did East West River Road and Black Gap one day and the next we did Top of The World, plus everything else in Terlingua Ranch. We found this little house that was locked up, had food on this steep trail and Jordan tried going up this crazy steep portion. I have to say Black Gap was pretty difficult in the wind on Thursday. That was the only new thing I did this trip. Had a great time and love the area.

I like posting pics and ride info here, better than social media.

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

5.PNG

6.PNG

I took very few photos but managed to stay upright the entire time again! We spent a lot more time behind Big Bend Resort this trip. There are places back there that remind me of southern Utah. The food was decent and drinks were plentiful. We met quite a few new friends we will definitely ride with again.

View attachment 342825

View attachment 342824

View attachment 342826
At the parks boundary...

View attachment 342827
Out on river road...

You did find a pic of me. :thumb:

I also took very few pics. I didn't get a pic of my bike napping after whiskey throttling my way through 100 yards of gravel on River Road. :flip:

Behind BB Resort
IMG_1204.jpeg

IMG_1214.jpeg

River Road
IMG_1208.jpeg

IMG_1209.jpeg

High Sierra
IMG_1211.jpeg

Fun was had by all on and off the bikes.

Since we're all photo-dumping here I mozzle get in on it. This was my first time to Big Bend. Well, we went when I was a kid but it was just for one night...the weather was bad all night and we drove home the next morning. Anyway...I had a blast. Can't wait to go back!

A few takeaways/thoughts: Rule 1: Cardio. Helmet comms are fantastic (Sena Mesh FTW). Suspension upgrades are a must. Ride at your own pace. Pack what you need, but not too much. Small bikes = big fun. Plan ahead for gas (bring cans to camp in case power goes out). Pack water and snacks!

Driving in at sunset has its perks:

ICUDAdO.jpg

Riders' meeting at the Chili Pepper. "You will be shot at" :giveup:

AvJD0cD.jpg

I did not pet the dog, but he looked content about it.

oNgfqpI.jpg

Windy day 1: We set out for the Top of the World.

rDGPbPU.jpg

Y3NeS1f.jpg

Byvm7OD.jpg

jsiC5aU.jpg

Slightly windy!

0nxEWKc.jpg

aoM8aFN.jpg

M9irI4t.jpg

Wr0PMrT.jpg

The brisket tacos at DB's Rustic Iron BBQ were the bomb.

pjmikZQ.jpg

Another rider meeting:

AHsyI3M.jpg

Just had to snap a pic of my trusty DR650 lookin' all cool.

C8IS1N7.jpg

Luna's place:

KW1NSWG.jpg

Yours truly at Santa Elena Canyon. Those boots are black. Just a little dusty.

mMkw9i7.jpg

After gassing up at Panther Junction

szrXQ5B.jpg

Day 2: Black Gap Road

Egl9hH4.jpg

Rider down on Black Gap, but all was well.

MjMHQwj.jpg

Day 3: Old Ore Road. This is the first time I felt my DR650 was too big a bike for the terrain, or at least the day I felt the suspension limits the most. I had upgraded the front end to a full Cogent kit, but out back just put a stiffer spring in the stock shock. The lousy rebound damping was pretty crappy to deal with all day. New shock on order STAT! Also, I crashed pretty hard but good gear saved me some major grief. I felt my elbow and shoulder pads prevent injury! Thanks Klim!

kIonEnt.jpg

Our trusty navigator, Tio Kike!

CauFM5C.jpg

Julio on his basket case rebuilt GS, riding like a boss on a big bike!

pkJeQB4.jpg

Much deserved refreshments at Chisos Basin after riding Old Ore all day.

wNfLRhz.jpg

Loaded up for the return to civilization, unfortunately.

yceyIKR.jpg

Anyone else want to move to a shack in Terlingua to be a desert dwelling weirdo?

Thanks to Peter for putting on the event, and thanks also to Marky Mark and Kike for leading us on some great rides! I will definitely go again! So nice to ride with all of you!!!

I was waiting for the boomerisms to come in 😋

If you want more young people to get into adventure riding, stop making it so god **** expensive
cough Klim cough

Agreed, but I don't make it expensive. Our governmenr printing money like it is free does that :lol2: But seriously, quality gear can be expensive. That said, I cannot tell you how often it has literally saved my hide and in a every few cases probably even my life. That said, there are cheaper options out there.

I rode for years with a mesh Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket, dirt bike pants, and knee pads. I also tried some Tourmaster gear that was only a few hundred bucks. That stuff never lasted more than a year or two before it had to be replaced. My Badlands Pro suit is 10 years old and still working great. My SIDI Adventure Rain boots are also 10 years old and still working great. All up for the suit, helmet, gloves, socks, and some other misc stuff, I think it averaged out to about $150-200/yr. That is not chump change when you are young though. I was just lucky that circumstances happened to work out in that moment in time where I was able to afford the stuff I wanted. It was a big upfront cost but it replaced the recurring cost and hassle of always replacing gear.

All the big adventure bikes bring status, but they aren't really necessary. I started on a used KLR 650 that I got for about $2700. I put another $300 or so into it for suspension upgrades. I got an inexpensive helmet, goggles, and gloves. I did splurge on boots just because most would not fit me and SIDI had a set that fit me perfect. So I have been wearing their boots ever since. I guess my point is that you CAN get into adventure riding without spending $35-40K on a top of the line adventure bike, top of the line gear, and all the "necessary" accessories. There's nothing wrong with that if you can afford it, but I would not look down on someone that couldn't (like me...). What I care about is whether you are out there to have fun and make friends. Do you freak out if the slightest thing doesn't go according to plan or do you just roll with it and keep going? Problem solving has always been a part of adventure riding, at least for me, but maybe that is a lack of planning on my part :-P

Oh, I'm not a boomer ;-) I think I am GenX or something, my folks were slightly pre-boomer and I was post-boomer. :-P

I buy what makes me feel comfortable about my safety. I want the best equipment in case I do have a major accident, in the hopes that I will survive with the least amount of damage. What dollar amount makes you feel safe? I always dress ATGATT.

Except for the 50 yards I rode from BB Resort to the fuel pumps in my shorts and no helmet. I was as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs

is there a After the ride thread?
Not really :rofl: Everyone just started posting pics in this thread. If I get time tomorrow, maybe I will copy out those posts into a new thread and leave a link here.

Since we're all photo-dumping here I mozzle get in on it. This was my first time to Big Bend. Well, we went when I was a kid but it was just for one night...the weather was bad all night and we drove home the next morning. Anyway...I had a blast. Can't wait to go back!

A few takeaways/thoughts: Rule 1: Cardio. Helmet comms are fantastic (Sena Mesh FTW). Suspension upgrades are a must. Ride at your own pace. Pack what you need, but not too much. Small bikes = big fun. Plan ahead for gas (bring cans to camp in case power goes out). Pack water and snacks!

Driving in at sunset has its perks:

View attachment 342888

Riders' meeting at the Chili Pepper. "You will be shot at" :giveup:

View attachment 342889

I did not pet the dog, but he looked content about it.

View attachment 342890

Windy day 1: We set out for the Top of the World.

View attachment 342891

View attachment 342892

View attachment 342893

View attachment 342894

Slightly windy!

View attachment 342895

View attachment 342896

View attachment 342897

View attachment 342898

The brisket tacos at DB's Rustic Iron BBQ were the bomb.

View attachment 342899

Another rider meeting:

View attachment 342900

Just had to snap a pic of my trusty DR650 lookin' all cool.

View attachment 342901

Luna's place:

View attachment 342902

Yours truly at Santa Elena Canyon. Those boots are black. Just a little dusty.

View attachment 342903

After gassing up at Panther Junction

View attachment 342904

Day 2: Black Gap Road

View attachment 342905

Rider down on Black Gap, but all was well.

View attachment 342906

Day 3: Old Ore Road. This is the first time I felt my DR650 was too big a bike for the terrain, or at least the day I felt the suspension limits the most. I had upgraded the front end to a full Cogent kit, but out back just put a stiffer spring in the stock shock. The lousy rebound damping was pretty crappy to deal with all day. New shock on order STAT! Also, I crashed pretty hard but good gear saved me some major grief. I felt my elbow and shoulder pads prevent injury! Thanks Klim!

View attachment 342907

Our trusty navigator, Tio Kike!

View attachment 342908

Julio on his basket case rebuilt GS, riding like a boss on a big bike!

View attachment 342909

Much deserved refreshments at Chisos Basin after riding Old Ore all day.

View attachment 342910

Loaded up for the return to civilization, unfortunately.

View attachment 342911

Anyone else want to move to a shack in Terlingua to be a desert dwelling weirdo?

Thanks to Peter for putting on the event, and thanks also to Marky Mark and Kike for leading us on some great rides! I will definitely go again! So nice to ride with all of you!!!
Your thoughts on Old Ore are interesting. When I was there only 3 months ago I felt that the route up to Top of the World was more challenging than Old Ore. Which way did y'all ride Old Ore? I will say that North to South has always been the easier way.

Great photos and thank you for posting them. The DR is pretty close to my KLR and I love that thing out in Big Bend. That being said, I do have an upgraded shock on it and that makes all the difference in the world.

Your thoughts on Old Ore are interesting. When I was there only 3 months ago I felt that the route up to Top of the World was more challenging than Old Ore. Which way did y'all ride Old Ore? I will say that North to South has always been the easier way.

Great photos and thank you for posting them. The DR is pretty close to my KLR and I love that thing out in Big Bend. That being said, I do have an upgraded shock on it and that makes all the difference in the world.

We went north to south on Old Ore. My challenge with it was possibly due to fatigue with it being day 3, but I'd also like to blame my rear suspension and trying to keep up with faster riders which was a mistake...but the real issue is my lack of skills on sand and gravel.

I would agree that TOTW was challenging, but for me it felt more enjoyable than Old Ore. Possibly because we did TOTW on day 1...or maybe because I enjoy climbing hills more than crashing in sand? Old Ore felt relentless, but TOTW was rewarding. Just my impression/recollection.

Next time I'll pack less gear and have better suspension. Also, I'm going to start riding my mountain bike. I need to develop more lower body strength and endurance for standing on the pegs for long stretches.

We went north to south on Old Ore. My challenge with it was possibly due to fatigue with it being day 3, but I'd also like to blame my rear suspension and trying to keep up with faster riders which was a mistake...but the real issue is my lack of skills on sand and gravel.

I would agree that TOTW was challenging, but for me it felt more enjoyable than Old Ore. Possibly because we did TOTW on day 1...or maybe because I enjoy climbing hills more than crashing in sand? Old Ore felt relentless, but TOTW was rewarding. Just my impression/recollection.

Next time I'll pack less gear and have better suspension. Also, I'm going to start riding my mountain bike. I need to develop more lower body strength and endurance for standing on the pegs for long stretches.

I hear ya on that "relentless" feeling some routes give.

That's one reason why I like TOW so much. It's like a long obstacle course. A steep gully to navigate and then an easy stretch where you can enjoy the views before you hit the next obstacle.

1. When the trip starts, make a ride report thread
2. Link to RR and lock this thread
3. Keep the whatsapp chat private, but post in this thread to DM organizer if you're not actively in the chat

Again, ultimately up to the organizer
this.

in reality theres no great way for folks on a trip to communicate via the forum, there's not even a good mobile app. wish there were an ideal solution for this,

Back