• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My Dad has gone on hospice care (2/26/22) - Update: he has passed (3/4/22)

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
This past weekend my folks made the decision to call in hospice care for my Dad. The lung issues (pulmonary fibrosis) he's been fighting the last 5-6 years are finally getting the better of him. After getting double pneumonia (no covid) back at the beginning of November last year, he has experienced a fairly rapid decline in gas transfer capability in his lungs. He's gone from running about 4 L/min of oxygen to 14 L/min in the last few months and in the last week or so has had trouble maintaining an oxygen level above 90%. In the mornings he's dropping down into the high 70's. The last time he was able to leave the house was when they came to our house for Thanksgiving. At this point, I don't know if he's going to last a few days or weeks, but I doubt much longer than that. He'd be 83 in May. He's tired and at peace with it all. Mom is struggling, but doing the best she can. My brother has been in town all weekend and I think he may try to stay here as long as he can so Mom is not at the house alone with Dad.

I know a LOT of men that have/had horrible relationships with their Dads. I feel pretty lucky in that regard. We worked together almost daily for 26 years and both enjoyed it. The last year and a half working without him has been tough as I just don't get to see him as often as I'd like in addition to not having anyone else to take the after hours/weekend call. I can really empathize with him regarding what it feels like to be tied to the house and to not be able to get out much anymore.

I'd really appreciate any prayers you can spare for him and mom, as well as us.

Thanks.

You and your family will definitely be in our prayers.

Scott, our prayers are with you. Mary and I went trough this with her mother a couple of years ago, it is a hard decision, but it is a loving thing to let him stay in his own home with all of his family beside him. Prayers sent...

Prayers for him, your mom, you and all his loved ones. Both of my parents died in their home. Hospice, sigh, is a good organization.

So sorry to read this.
Prayers for peace and comfort for you and the entire family.
These things are never easy despite knowing they are coming.

So very sorry,I do know how difficult this time is in your life.
Prayers for your Family 🙏🏻

I struggle to speak well of healthcare, but Hospice people are a very different thing. I can't say enough good about them.
Peace and strength to you and yours in this difficult time. :zen:

This past weekend my folks made the decision to call in hospice care for my Dad. The lung issues (pulmonary fibrosis) he's been fighting the last 5-6 years are finally getting the better of him. After getting double pneumonia (no covid) back at the beginning of November last year, he has experienced a fairly rapid decline in gas transfer capability in his lungs. He's gone from running about 4 L/min of oxygen to 14 L/min in the last few months and in the last week or so has had trouble maintaining an oxygen level above 90%. In the mornings he's dropping down into the high 70's. The last time he was able to leave the house was when they came to our house for Thanksgiving. At this point, I don't know if he's going to last a few days or weeks, but I doubt much longer than that. He'd be 83 in May. He's tired and at peace with it all. Mom is struggling, but doing the best she can. My brother has been in town all weekend and I think he may try to stay here as long as he can so Mom is not at the house alone with Dad.

I know a LOT of men that have/had horrible relationships with their Dads. I feel pretty lucky in that regard. We worked together almost daily for 26 years and both enjoyed it. The last year and a half working without him has been tough as I just don't get to see him as often as I'd like in addition to not having anyone else to take the after hours/weekend call. I can really empathize with him regarding what it feels like to be tied to the house and to not be able to get out much anymore.

I'd really appreciate any prayers you can spare for him and mom, as well as us.

Thanks.
Praying for your Dad and Mom and all other family members.

I lost mine several years ago, but still miss him. I sure looked up to that man. Sorry to hear, Scott, and you have our prayers.

I went through this with my dad 5 years ago. Deep sympathy and prayers for you, your dad and the rest of the family.

Sorry to hear this. Lost my dad to liver cancer a few years back.
Hospice is an amazing organization for both the patient and family.
Made the process much easier (still sucked, but my mom really was helped by them, even after his passing).
Prayers to you and your family.

Praying for peace for you and your family. I lost both my parents last year a few months apart. Hospice was a Godsend.

Sorry to hear this. Lost my dad to liver cancer a few years back.
Hospice is an amazing organization for both the patient and family.
Made the process much easier (still sucked, but my mom really was helped by them, even after his passing).
Prayers to you and your family.
I So sorry for your family you have our prayers.

Hard to read these kind of news and certainly will keep you in our prayers.

Scott - sorry to read this. Prayers for your father, you and family. It is a mind expanding time when you go from living on this earth with someone you have know since your first breath….. to them not being by your side physically but spiritually.

Scott, praying for your dad and mom and you. Lost my dad in 2019. It has gotten a little better for me as time moves on. He is the reason that I ride a cycle today. Started me on a mini bike, then a Yamaha 80, and on and on. Hang in there!

Back