• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My Dad has gone on hospice care (2/26/22) - Update: he has passed (3/4/22)

Scott, I liked what you said "He's tired and at peace with it all."That is because your dad chose many years ago to build only on the eternal foundation that can give this peace beyond understanding.
1 Corinthians 11 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
Had to go through this with parents as well.
what I remember is little moments between now and then.
Was a smile at most unexpected moment.
Also just enjoying cup of tea, not speaking, just being together.
These memories you have now will stick.
Sorrow, pain will fade.
Praying for you and family.

Scott....at least your dad is comfortable at home with his wife... & thats a good thing....a very good thing. My family didnt have that option with my dad a few years back. Mom was already gone & he needed more care than a home/hospice service could provide.
Like you said...he's at peace with the situation now.....Peace be with you & your family thru this...
Rod

Good morning,

After a long battle with Pulmonary Fibrosis, Vernon Friday passed away peacefully in his sleep last night, March 4, 2022. He would have been 83 in May. The whole family was able to spend time with him in the months and weeks leading up to his passing and were present until he went to sleep last night. This time was filled with many stories and laughter, often until he had trouble breathing and we had to give him a break. He was joking and playful to the end, even with the Hospice nurse. He was comfortable, alert, and clear minded, able to say his goodbyes to everyone.

After 14 years as an Army Chaplain, he served the leak sealing industry as an engineer, mentor, friend and counselor for many many people for 40 years, especially for me. I had the privilege to start working with him in January of 1994 until he finally retired from full time work in 2020 at the age of 81. He set the bar very high in terms of showing me that being a successful engineer and business owner is so much more than just having a head full of technical knowledge. He loved his work and the people he worked with, here in our office and all of those we've served over the years. He was a faithful and loving husband of my mother for 62 years. He never failed to listen, to offer good advice, and to be supportive. I could not have asked for a better Dad and friend.

Good morning,

After a long battle with Pulmonary Fibrosis, Vernon Friday passed away peacefully in his sleep last night, March 4, 2022. He would have been 83 in May. The whole family was able to spend time with him in the months and weeks leading up to his passing and were present until he went to sleep last night. This time was filled with many stories and laughter, often until he had trouble breathing and we had to give him a break. He was joking and playful to the end, even with the Hospice nurse. He was comfortable, alert, and clear minded, able to say his goodbyes to everyone.

After 14 years as an Army Chaplain, he served the leak sealing industry as an engineer, mentor, friend and counselor for many many people for 40 years, especially for me. I had the privilege to start working with him in January of 1994 until he finally retired from full time work in 2020 at the age of 81. He set the bar very high in terms of showing me that being a successful engineer and business owner is so much more than just having a head full of technical knowledge. He loved his work and the people he worked with, here in our office and all of those we've served over the years. He was a faithful and loving husband of my mother for 62 years. He never failed to listen, to offer good advice, and to be supportive. I could not have asked for a better Dad and friend.
I'm so sorry to hear this, Scott..... Continued prayers for you and the family to get through what is no doubt a difficult time.

What a blessing to be able to have that precious time with family.
Continued prayers for peace for you and the entire Friday family.

Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. Matt 5:4

Although it's a hard time for you and your family, I think you fully understand how fortunate you are to have had so many years to spend with him. I am truly sorry for your loss.

Just read this today. So sorry but he is at peace now and in a place that can't be explained by humans. I pray for you and the rest of the family.

Sorry for your loss, but glad his last days were on his terms and able to spend that time with family, giving both him and all of you a chance to say goodby.

It is never easy, but having been through several family members and friends passing, being able to prepare for the death does make a difference. Not easier per se, but there is a difference.

Prayers and blessings to you and your family. You father sounds like a great father and person in general, more of what the world needs.

Sorry to hear of your loss Scott. Sincere condolences to your entire family. Sounds like he had a good, full life and left you with great memories.🙏🏾

So sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and your family. What a blessing to have had him as your dad!

Sorry for your loss Scott. I hope to be the kind of dad and husband as you father.

Scott, so sorry for your loss. My family’s prayers & condolences to yours. Been there. Take comfort in
knowing he was one of the good ones.

Back