• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Reader's Digest condensed version.

IMG_20230711_174022582_HDR.jpg

Yes, it's not very far down Burr, but I only rode to a campsite a few miles down. I did ride the entire Burr Trail last year so I uselessly spent today trying to find a remote pretty lake on a Jeep road. Google maps on my phone found it, but the route ended in a dead end. My GPS couldn't find it. I gave up when I had a little more than half a tank left. I made it back to gas with about a half a gallon left. By then it was too late to ride Burr.

I was riding dirt all day yesterday on Boulder Mountain in search of an elusive lake. I know it exists, because two different locals told me about it. Maybe next time.

I was about 20 miles into the White Rim Trail. The 16T front sprocket was becoming a problem, so I I found a big rock to lean it against and took off the side cover. The nut was stripped with the locking washer still bent over it. It's semi fixed. The threads on the shaft are fine. ???????
IMG_20230713_151042205.jpg

IMG_20230713_151053979_HDR.jpg

I was about 20 miles into the White Rim Trail. The 16T front sprocket was becoming a problem, so I I found a big rock to lean it against and took off the side cover. The nut was stripped with the locking washer still bent over it. It's semi fixed. The threads on the shaft are fine. ???????
View attachment 354181

View attachment 354182
That's different. Wonder what chance there'll be finding a replacement in Moab.. looks like arrowhead motorcycle is closed up for good. I see a moto repair shop called dirty deeds. And yeah...105 in town today. Stay elevated long as you can.

I used the front axle nut, same threads. The axle has two pinch bolts on each side so everything should be good. The axle nut doesn't have an indentation to clear the splines that stick out past the sprocket, but I had a spare lock washer that took up to most of the slack. I also bent in the sprocket cover so the nut can't back off.

Attachments

• IMG_20230713_151042205.jpg
    IMG_20230713_151042205.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20230713_151053979_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230713_151053979_HDR.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 55
It was going to end in about 2weeks. I was going to do a little dirt around Moab then go do a couple of passes in Colorado and visit my mom at Independence Pass. I also was going to finish some stuff in NM that I was copying from Spirit. The fence near Pie Town with all of the toasters hanging on it was going to be the last thing on my way home. I may go by Pie Town since it's only 100 miles out of the way. I'm just afraid that a continuation would result in the output shaft having badly damaged threads. I do want to sell it after I get back. It's close to 40,000 miles.

Did it dump any oil when the nut let go? Mine sure did when the nut backed off. Nice fix there with the front axle nut, I'll have to remember that.

No oil. As a matter of fact, I put oil on the seal and shaft because they were so dry. My worry is the small amount of slack between the shaft and sprocket splines may let the splines wear. With the proper nut there is enough tension to keep that from happening.

I ask because when the nut comes out like that it allows the spacer under pressure to pop out enough to start spewing oil. Looks like yours stayed in just enough to keep that from happening.

PXL_20220529_164236681~2-L.jpg

Back