• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Reader's Digest condensed version.

Along the St. Joe. The upper 20 miles on the Idaho side are gravel.

IMG_20230628_104446930_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
That is one of my favorite roads in the country. Did you say you camped out there?
No, I spent the night in a motel in St. Regis, Montana. Last night I camped outside of Elk River. The road there was good, but I went there because of the three waterfalls and the largest known tree east of the Sierras. 18' Dia. Western Red Cedar that's 177'' tall and 1,000 years old when Jesus was born

IMG_20230628_171235585.jpg

Wow, that is gorgeous. Now I know what I have been missing by not turning down the road to Elk River. I really am enjoying this. Thanks for sharing.

I thought an 18" diameter log was resting on the bottom of a large puddle. One wheel of a friend's 4-wheeler on dirt, the other on the floating log. Turn the 4-wheeler upside down.

I'm gunshy about this, encountered it on my first day of dirt bike riding. Went down hard right in the middle of it. I hate water crossings.
One day trail riding I stopped by a mud hole, went to put foot down, no bottom. My riding partners loved it.

A little foggy at my camp along the road to Lolo Pass.
Sweet! I look forward to seeing a few pics of that. Our plan is to run Hwy 12 from Lolo to Kooskia and then come up via Lolo Pass, possibly camping at Pete Forks CS on the way or any of the other sites in that area.

LoloPass-US12.jpg

They have some good books at the Lolo pass gift store. If you are looking for a nice breakfast or lunch, Paul's Pancake Parlor in Missoula is worth a stop.

I just went up to the Johnson hot springs and then came back. There's construction work up there and the wait was horribly long 2 weeks ago. The ride along the Selway Wild and Scenic River was nice. I continued the ride over the mountain to Elk City. One option is a maintained road and another is rustic with a sign on the open gate that says restricted travel. A local told me that meant the gate 40 miles away on the other end may be locked.
From the top

IMG_20230630_152447273_HDR.jpg

Just taking a wild guess. Is that somewhere near Stanley?
No, but you reminded me of a previous ride where I did get lost near Stanley. I rode nearly 200 miles on dirt roads and ended up about 30 miles from where I started. This time, it was along the lmnaha River in Oregon. I made a wrong turn coming out of Joseph.

Ah... Joseph, what a beautiful area. I rode there last year from the south via the Wallowa Mountain Loop. I sure would like to be there today - dipping my toes into that ice cold water. :thumb:

I have been advised by a fellow rider. He said I should ride highway 242 west of Sisters, Oregon. He said, "Some of the turns are so sharp that your front tire will run into your back tire.".:pirate: Off I go.

My front tire may have hit my rear tire. I was too busy watching the road and scenery to notice. For Randypower: I had to go to Eugene, Oregon to buy a lens cap for the same lens as before. Shutterbug is a great shop. I was riding with my camera sitting on my tank bag for easy access on the really curvy road. The strap was around my neck and the camera had slipped off the bag a couple of times, but the third time, my 10/22 lens detached itself and fell off. When I looked down and saw it gone, my heart sank lower than my stomach. Lens cap was not found. Polarized filter aluminum ring was found with no glass found. Lens itself looked OK but dirty. I went to Shutterbug and the lady there cleaned it, mounted a new polarized lens and lens cover and tested it. It worked. I am LUCKY.

Back