• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SHNF Trail Status

All Westside now open. Trails with the X's on Eastside still closed.
Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 9.33.11 AM.png

Going tomorrow with electric sur-ron bikes. Plan on parking at 208 and doing that long west loop out and back.

I am planning a one nighter in April. Are the trails OK and do you think Kelly's Pond will have availability for a Saturday night? I have only been to SHNF once last year and I think the trails were closed. Kelly's Pond seemed pretty vacant.

No hookups at all...no designated sites. Strickly boondock protocols. Take along everything you need (including firewood). Pack out your trash. Leave it a little better than you found it.
Is Kelly Pond ok for camping with a small overland trailer or is it tent only? From what I'm seeing, it seems like you cannot make reservations and it's just roll up and take an open dispersed spot. Just trying to make sure I'm good with driving all that way with my 500 and the overland trailer with basically no prep other than an OHV decal on my bike haha.

Is Kelly Pond ok for camping with a small overland trailer or is it tent only? From what I'm seeing, it seems like you cannot make reservations and it's just roll up and take an open dispersed spot. Just trying to make sure I'm good with driving all that way with my 500 and the overland trailer with basically no prep other than an OHV decal on my bike haha.
Camp in whatever you like. Tent, rv... it's an open area. Not the most level but manageable.

Be aware of use regarding generator use. There are designated times that it is ok. Not sure what the hours are specifically but nighttime is off limits due to noise restrictions. I haven't visited SHNF in a few years but I'd just make the assumption that the Game Warden pops in as often as he used to.

I didn't know that- it's been a few years but I ran my Honda Genny all night long at kpond without gestapo interacting either civilian or legal authority. Maybe I slipped through the cracks. She is pretty quiet though- maybe only applies to loud ones.

Someone posted a comment about getting busted at Kelly's Pond a few years back. Something like the curfew was at 9:00 and the ranger was writing them a ticket only a few minutes afterward.

that would rule me out of any rv camping there, but I get it. Sort of

This was news to me also so I looked it up. It is not "quiet" time but a specific restriction on generators between 10pm - 7am. Quiet time is merely defined as a "good neighbor" guideline so not an offense.

Being a tent camper I get it. Inside an RV the noise is probably not an issue unless you got an old Onan. Those suckers are loud.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220406-200215_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220406-200215_Chrome.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 115
that would rule me out of any rv camping there, but I get it. Sort of

Easy just stay outside of the campground. There are plenty of hunter camps along the FS road nearby. Many are pull though spots and only a stones throw from a MUT road crossing so no ticket worries if not plated. The only thing Kelly Pond gives you is a pit toilet and traffic.

I went out last Friday and rode the Eastside. I rode the Zebra/Fern loop once and Zebra/Northwest/Fern the second time. Trails were in great shape.

Faceslapper work day Wednesday 5-18-22
208 Trailhead 0900
If you are available, we have a Faceslapper work day scheduled for this Wednesday 5-18-22 starting from the 208 Trailhead going on String and North Balloon possible South Balloon If time permits.

See John Maldonado, KTM dualsport.

0F54AE44-ECD6-4B2A-87C5-13B6FCFBAA60.jpeg

Took the big guy out before it got too hot today. Sometimes it's more fun to see IF you can get from point A to B, instead of how quick you can get from A to B!!

So what's the deal with Lake loop. Is it in really bad shape or is it something else?

Dang. Thank you guys for the info. I always liked the short part west off SR 234 to 1375. I used it as my single track primer whenever I headed to the trail heads when I rode in from Conroe.
Is Bridge #1 over by the equestrian parking/unload trailhead off of 234?. East leg of lake loop off SR234?

Hi, I tried today Kellys Pond and I wonder if all the trails in SHNF are just (deep) sand and whoops?

Back