• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SHNF Trail Status

The short answer is …. Kind Of🤔. What bike are you riding in the forest?

The short answer is …. Kind Of🤔. What bike are you riding in the forest?

KTM 890 Adv. R.

Out of curiosity, Where is this grey beach type sand coming from? It doesn't look natural too me for this type of environment. These red harder packed sections seem to be more matching the Forest.

It started decent but then it was more like a MX course with deep sand and endless whoop sections.

Last edited:
On that bike I would recommend short sections on single track … fire road … repeat. 😎

The sand - clay combo is what the pine trees love and we have have to learn to enjoy. Daily squats are back in style 🤩

Dang. Thank you guys for the info. I always liked the short part west off SR 234 to 1375. I used it as my single track primer whenever I headed to the trail heads when I rode in from Conroe.
Is Bridge #1 over by the equestrian parking/unload trailhead off of 234?. East leg of lake loop off SR234?
Just South of 1375...

Attachments

• aEASTSIDE.pdf
    498.1 KB · Views: 172
Thank you sir. So bridges 7, 8, and 8a. Are they in bad shape?. I've always enjoyed that short section of trail.
That Trail (LAKE LOOP) remains closed in it's entirety....next on our list to start work on. That being said there will be fines for anyone
found riding on it. May the Odds be ever in your favor. :rider:

Last edited:
I quit riding the forest in the early 90s when they closed the open riding area . Went one time in 07 to try out my new 450 RFS KTM and it sucked so bad I never went back . The trails weaving back and forth along 208 were some of the worst riding I’d ever been on . Even went looking for some of the old fun trails we had years ago and they were completely gone . I liked downfall sections where you had to jump logs two feet off the ground every few feet for 300 yards . You sure didn’t see any atv tracks there . When we worked the trails we never cut out more than a two foot section of a down tree . Maybe that’s why we got kicked out , we didn’t play nicly with the a holes .

Reactions: my6
I pretty much quit in 2010. My old crew never did. I joined up with them twice in the last three Sundays and it's been "educational" for my legs. Thank the Lord it's beginning to be a wee bit cooler in the early mornings. Now if the whoops would just be smaller and further apart.

That Trail (LAKE LOOP) remains closed in it's entirety....next on our list to start work on. That being said there will be fines for anyone
found riding on it. May the Odds be ever in your favor. :rider:

Glad it's on the list. I miss riding it. And as to the 2nd part, I don't know about others, but if a trail is marked closed, I stay off of it. Less ammo for the "no motorized" crowd.

Glad it's on the list. I miss riding it. And as to the 2nd part, I don't know about others, but if a trail is marked closed, I stay off of it. Less ammo for the "no motorized" crowd.
Well said. We are constantly trying to reverse the negative view a lot of folks have of the motorcycling community. I came across these vandalized signs in
my neighborhood. No tire tracks to be seen.

Attachments

• bikers.jpg
    bikers.jpg
    670 KB · Views: 101
  • bs.jpg
    bs.jpg
    691.8 KB · Views: 100
Well said. We are constantly trying to reverse the negative view a lot of folks have of the motorcycling community. I came across these vandalized signs in
my neighborhood. No tire tracks to be seen.

It sucks to see that. Good chance it's false flag, as like you said. No tire tracks

These are the whoop gremlins… they work endlessly to make sure we have good leg work outs when riding in the forest. You could make the trails smooth as glass and the next day🤔

Attachments

• 25F8C0F3-194B-4529-83B9-E2848A6620E8.jpeg
    25F8C0F3-194B-4529-83B9-E2848A6620E8.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 85
I spent about 2 hrs riding the trails yesterday on the 890R. Yep, lots of sand. I thought that String was going to be the easiest on the big bike. Nope. Got a good workout though. :)

I spent about 2 hrs riding the trails yesterday on the 890R. Yep, lots of sand. I thought that String was going to be the easiest on the big bike. Nope. Got a good workout though. :)
The String has some of the deepest whoops out there in one section!

Howdy. I've got some time off coming up starting tomorrow at noon and was thinking I might like to go check out the forest trails. I'm a member of DBSA and ride Zars Ranch in Floresville quite a bit, at least I have been for the last year and a half. That's all the off-road experience I have, a year and a half. Is there anyone who's been to both the trails and Zars Ranch relatively recently who can tell me how they compare? Also, how are the forest roads in the area? My ride is a CRF250RX which I've made street legal with a plate and all that. So, I'm not limited to just riding trails out and back. I can connect trails with the bike.

This is all tentative. I may not be able to go this weekend but should know within the next 24 hours. If I am able to make it out, would anyone be willing and able to show a slow "D" level off-road rider around?

Unfortunately I have to work, can't show you around. But the trails other than being really dry, thus there's lot of sand, they are not technical trails. Get to any trailhead, the sign in area will have maps. Also all major intersections have big metal maps, really nice touch. You have a great bike for out there. Carry a phone and water.

I suppose I'll need an OHV sticker to ride the trails too. Looks like I'm shooting for being out there this Sunday morning.

Let me know when...I should be able to make it. I live on the edge of the forest.

Back