• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SHNF Trail Status

Let me know when...I should be able to make it. I live on the edge of the forest.
Let me know when.... I should be able to make it. I live IN THE FOREST. Everyday!

Fixed it for you. ha

I’ve got really bad reception here where I’m at, and don’t know what time I’ll be in the area, but I’m planning to be at the trails in the morning.

At one time the Forest Service had a machine that knocked down the whoops and "groomed" the trails.

Reactions: my6
At one time the Forest Service had a machine that knocked down the whoops and "groomed" the trails.
We still do. We were working on a
section on the Eastside two days ago. Keep in mind there are 85 miles of trail with not enough volunteers. The Forest Service does not maintain the trails.

I used to enjoy long whoop sections. Longest one I ever raced was in ElPaso. 100 yards of high speed sandy whoops. I do NOT enjoy any of them at 66 and wish they were all gone.

Hi all. Just got word that the Forest Service is closing the multiuse trails today. We’ve had quite a few rain days in the last couple of weeks; Today included with more predicted Tuesday and Wednesday. It’s been the slow, soaking rains that saturate the ground and create sloppy conditions in some places

Hi all. Just got word that the Forest Service is closing the multiuse trails today. We’ve had quite a few rain days in the last couple of weeks; Today included with more predicted Tuesday and Wednesday. It’s been the slow, soaking rains that saturate the ground and create sloppy conditions in some places

Thank you for the heads up

This Ducati was in a good group of big bikes riding the trail in the Sam.
EB27D7E4-87F1-4592-8CF1-7FD696A0B990.jpeg

I keep thinking about a CRF300 Rally to have a more trail capable bike, but it still being every day reliable on the street. The Africa Twin is a handful in tight places and I DO NOT want to ride it over the SHNF whoops.

I keep thinking about a CRF300 Rally to have a more trail capable bike, but it still being every day reliable on the street. The Africa Twin is a handful in tight places and I DO NOT want to ride it over the SHNF whoops.
I kinda understand the challenge part, but for me it's just not fun. And way too much change of throwing a very heavy bike down. Some of the hard packed is fun.

I kinda understand the challenge part, but for me it's just not fun. And way too much change of throwing a very heavy bike down. Some of the hard packed is fun.

Yep. Hard packed is great. A sandy or gravely spot is fine. Mud pits aren't and neither are endless sandy whoops. Need something lighter for those to be acceptable to be. Maybe one of these years...

For whatever reason, lol, there's several that run the trails!
I've yet to see more then 1 other person ride a big bike on the trails with any kind of regularity. It would be fun to meet some more out there. I did see someone on a T7 about a year ago, but they were already loading up to leave when I met them.

"OHV trails on the T7 Wednesday. Who's coming along?"

He's starting at 208 trailhead, 930 or 10.

Back