• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tour of the Davy Crockett NF 12/05/15 - RIDE FULL!!

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
The plan is to leave Huntsville 9:00am and head Northeast into the Davy Crockett NF, make a big loop, and eventually end up back in Huntsville before dark.

Start Location & Time:

Smiley's Shell Station at intersection of FM 247/980 on North side of Huntsville.

We will leave Smiley's at 9:00am sharp.

Smiley's has a grill and serves breakfast if you want to get there early. They also have a seating area inside.

There is nowhere to leave a trailer at Smiley's. If you want to trailer up, you can come to my house and park it, then we'll head back to Smileys about 8:45am to meet the others. Don't expect me to be outside any earlier than 8:30am :sleep:

74 Armadillo Dr.
Huntsville, Tx. 77320

It is a few miles out 980 from the Smiley's, on the right at the top of the hill just past the cemetery. Pull into the hood, go about 1/4 mile, and the house is on the right. It sits back from the road, has a pull through drive, chain link fence, stand alone garage, all brown.

Route:

Davy Crockett NF Tour - GPX file
http://www.twtex.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36296&d=1448420947

The route is 233 miles long if we run the entire thing. There are numerous places where it can be cut short if someone needs to bail out early or if we start running out of day light.

Bring munchies. I am notorious for forgetting to stop for lunch. We will get into Crockett too early for lunch and after Crockett there really isn't anywhere that I know of to stop. Ratcliff on Hwy 7 has a Foodmart that should have gas for anyone that will need it, but I have no idea if it has a grill or just typical convenience store stuff and groceries.

The route consists of paved roads, county roads, and forest service roads. There WILL be sand. I consider the route "big bike" friendly IF you have good tires. I've run parts of the sand on my 1200 GS with no problem, but that was with TKC80s installed and I like sand :trust: I will be riding my KTM 530 EXC on full knobbies for this run.

The weather prediction claims highs in the mid 70's with a possibility of isolated showers.

So... Rain or shine, who's up for it?

If you plan to attend, please post up here just so we have an idea of how many to expect. If you have to bail that morning, post here and I will check it before I leave the house in the morning. Thanks.

Suckers:
Tourmeister - KTM 530 EXC
c4nuck - BMW F800GS
Dannyboy - DRZ400
Dirtryder - Old BMW GS
Guymanbro - KTM 950 Sup Enduro
Jfink - KTM 500 EXC
jmn - I got no clue...
JoePieper - Something orange...
Knight - KTM 690 Enduroo
_RG_ - KTM 530 EXC
Rsquared - some kind of KTM (450 EXC/690Enduro/1290R...)
Silverbullet - Yamaha Sup Tenere
Woodsguy - the mystery machine

Potential Suckers:
Webnel

Last edited:
Re: Black Friday tour of the Davy Crockett NF 11/27/15

Count me in.

Gonna ride a DRZ400.

Perfect.

I'm in. Bringin' the 500. Truck to your place.

Anyone else coming?

Probably. Just trying to pump myself up for 200 miles on the 350. Wish I was more comfortable on 1190 in sand. I can make it but don't want to drag y'all down in time.

Well, it looks like the rain is going to be more than just a few isolated showers! :eek2:

I am thinking we should do this next Saturday 12/5/15.

Supposed to be clear and in the upper 50s to low 60s.

What do you think?

Chit chatting with some of the guys, I think we've decided to postpone to 12/05/15.

Same time, place and route then.

Re: Tour of the Davy Crockett NF 12/05/15

I'm in for Saturday.

Just to be clear, I am not talking about THIS Saturday, but the Saturday a week from now ;-)

A week away sounds good

Wanting to do this and would be on one of the bikes listed below. Work travel that week may impact me being able to slip off for the weekend, though.

Its good we did not go today.
I decided to buzz around where I live and lo and behold my bike dies.
I think it is time to switch to reserve.
No dice, then I see I have not instrument, horn etc.
Long story short a blown fuse because of a dead short some where.
Had to have my wife come get me in the truck and load the bike up.
Starting to take it apart now to see what I can find.

Its good we did not go today.
I decided to buzz around where I live and lo and behold my bike dies.
I think it is time to switch to reserve.
No dice, then I see I have not instrument, horn etc.
Long story short a blown fuse because of a dead short some where.
Had to have my wife come get me in the truck and load the bike up.
Starting to take it apart now to see what I can find.

That's great timing, you'll be ready for next weekend

We got a bit of rain here last night. According to the radar, it's been raining off and on in the areas where we were going to be riding.

On the upside, because we did not ride today, I got a surprise visit from an old motorcycle riding buddy I've not seen in years. We got to meet for lunch and have a nice visit!

So I take my bike all apart trying to find the cause of blowing the main fuse.
By the way this is the only fuse on a DRZ400SM.
I am disconnecting all kinds of things and scratching my head.
I get my son over and he disconnects even more items and we print out a color wiring diagram. HE says we disconnect everything and will start hooking up items one at a time until it blows the fuse again. As he is disconnecting the rear brake light switch he spots those wires melted to the exhaust pipe. Wala. That is it. He truly is a Genius. It was routed up the front of the engine and touched the exhaust pipe. I doubt this is the factory routing as someone before me did a Big Bore Kit and probably changed the routing.

DSC04673_zpsm0q73deo.jpg

DSC04677_zps08dlebbm.jpg

DSC04675_zpscw79nnch.jpg

:thumb:

I'll join if you guys will have me. It'll be my first real test of the 690.

Back