• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tour of the Davy Crockett NF 12/05/15 - RIDE FULL!!

Xman you can have my spot if I was in the count it's got a little to big a ride for me. You guys have fun and ride safe.

Come on, just like SB said, we can do a smaller group!

I'm all in for a matter of fact. Got two new Stinko Moldy Boy's mounted and a new rear rotor plus GPS track file loaded. Tested and happy. See yous guyz (whoever's left) in the AM. :rider:

I did mention there was not likely to be a full blown sit down lunch stop didn't I? ;-) Bring snacks or get some at the gas station in the morning before we head out.

We may stop for gas in Crockett just so folks can top off their tanks before we head into the forest. After that, the only other place is that little town I mentioned.

As for the group size, I am not that worried about it. I just didn't want it getting to be 20+ people. It's hard to keep such a big group moving.

I have not changed up the route. If there is anyone that has the route and would like to lead a second group, that would be great. Maybe one group could run it one way the other second group the other way, meeting in the middle (hopefully not in the middle of a corner with both people surprised :wary:)

I'll see you guys in the morning.

Also, as of right now, we only have 13-14 firm for tomorrow. That's doable.

I did mention there was not likely to be a full blown sit down lunch stop didn't I? ;-)
We may stop for gas in Crockett just so folks can top off their tanks before we head into the forest. After that, the only other place is that little town I mentioned.

I heard ya loud and clear. That's why asked about gas stops. If I was on my KLR, 233 wouldn't be an issue. But alas, she is still in VT. We'll see how it shakes out in the morning, but if there's a group of thirsty bikes, I'm happy to play chicken herder. I might be new to the area, but I know my way around some navigation and I've got extra batteries. . .

See you manana.

36 degrees, 1 1/2 hours hiway drone, and I don't have my windsheild on the bike. I think I'll go do TORCS with my son today instead, so Im out. Y'all have fun.

Really wished I could have made this ride! weather is great this weekend.

:tab By the way, I updated the GPX file originally shared in this thread to reflect the actual route we rode. If you want it, just use the same attachment link. It should give you the new file instead of the original.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36296&d=1448420947

The biggest changes were coming out of Crockett on Hwy 7. The road South of 7 was a dead end. So now it just takes 7 to the edge of the forest and then makes a left turn to follow the edge of the forest. The other change is because of our stop in Ratcliff and the dirt road we did after the stop. I also added a dirt road on the North side of 7 that runs from where we hit 7 back to town. We didn't actually ride that road.

I tried the link to get the GPX file for this ride on page 1 but it isn't downloading. I would really appreciate it if someone could share it as a few friends and myself would like to do this ride.

:tab By the way, I updated the GPX file originally shared in this thread to reflect the actual route we rode. If you want it, just use the same attachment link. It should give you the new file instead of the original.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36296&d=1448420947

The biggest changes were coming out of Crockett on Hwy 7. The road South of 7 was a dead end. So now it just takes 7 to the edge of the forest and then makes a left turn to follow the edge of the forest. The other change is because of our stop in Ratcliff and the dirt road we did after the stop. I also added a dirt road on the North side of 7 that runs from where we hit 7 back to town. We didn't actually ride that road.
Hi Scott, Can you please share this GPX file with me as I would like to do this ride.

Hi Scott, Can you please share this GPX file with me as I would like to do this ride.

RIGHT click on the link and pick the "Save As" option or open in Basecamp if you have that installed. Should still work. Worked for me.

Hey Scott.....This 2015 thread just popped up in my in box.....Brought back some good memories of riding this route....Haven't spoken with you in,....don't know how long.....
Not sure what you ride these days, but have you toyed with the idea of doing this again in 2022. Have a couple of guys that would join me.... Oct -Nov time frame

My work "schedule" doesn't allow me to really plan anything anymore. If I get to ride, I ride on the spur of the moment and rarely get more than about 45 minutes from the house in any given direction.

Sounds like you might need to start looking for a new job. 😀
Yeah... Don't think that hasn't crossed my mind. I'm 56 with 28 years of very specific experience that doesn't translate well to other work where I wouldn't be starting over almost as a newbie. Why hire an old guy that needs a lot of money compared to some young person that doesn't need as much money (yet...)? I am self employed and I get to work from home, but it is 24/7/365 and I can't find anyone that wants to do the kind of hours it takes to do my job. It wasn't too bad until my Dad retired in June of 2020 at the height of the pandemic hysteria. He was 81 so he figured it might be time :-P Since then though, it has been just me. It is not physically demanding (other than wasting away in front of a computer in a chair), but I have ZERO control over when I have to work, day or night, even on weekends and holidays. So there is no way for me to plan anything. I just wait for the phone to ring and I have to be able to respond within a few minutes and be ready to start working in about 30-45 minutes at most or the work goes to someone else. If you are curious...

www.tdsengineering.com

Back