• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What did you do in the garage today?

My friend just shared this with me yesterday. Have not tried it yet . ( Not his bike, just a method)

signal-2024-03-18-10-05-04-019.jpg

Finally got my GPS swapped over.
Had a Garmin Zumo 396 mounted on the K1600, it works well enough, but came across a deal here for an almost new XT.
Huge difference in screen size and clarity. Have not ridden with it yet, but can tell it will be better.

I also got my PDM60 reprogramed (the GPS would not turn on immediatly, and would turn off with key off, I set it to turn on with ignition and stay on for 5 minutes after key off so if I am getting gas I can turn the ignition off, open the tank and not have to worry about it shutting off).

I’ve been resurrecting a beat down old KLR. Today I finally rolled it off the lift and put a few miles on it. Everything seems good so far.

View attachment 376957

View attachment 376958
Now I’ll put it back on the lift for a thorough check over front-to-rear to make sure no problems surfaced on the initial ride.
Truly an extraordinarily handsome motorcycle! Will benefit greatly with a smattering of dirt...some strategically placed mud here and there...doohicky stickers. You are clearly a connoisseur of fine machinery and trend setting equipment. Congratulations on a successful resurrection.

You may find admirers in the strangest places...

1000001348.jpg

Last edited:
Ran errands and a trip to Coleman for 135 gallons of AV 100LL. Got back to E30 in time to see Steve land in the AT 502.

Went to check on his progress, only to find him fuming mad about the wind driven pump prop malfunctioning yet again!! It had feathered itself to zero pitch for the thousandth time!

I drove back to my shop for tools and commenced a teardown. After pics and calls to Air Tractor, their conclusion was a new replacement assembly at just over $3000!!!

I told Steve to let me study it a bit and see if I could figure a fix. After 15 minutes of head and backside scratching, I came up with the idea of a jam nut to hold the spring adjuster nut in place. Turns out, my fix worked, and at a cost of just 27 cents!!

Attachments

• 20240319_155805.jpg
    20240319_155805.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 20240319_155826.jpg
    20240319_155826.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240319_180400.jpg
    20240319_180400.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 32
Another small upgrade for the Tracer.

Installed a clip-on spoiler. Amotime is the maker and sourced from MotoParty in Tulsa through Amazon.
IMG_4263.jpeg

IMG_4266.jpeg

IMG_4265.jpeg
The install was a little fussy. The maker made some changes to the mount system, took some minutes to figure out what they were explaining, that was longer than the install.

The OEM shield works well at my 5’9” with low turbulence. I do look through the spoiler. But the plastic is good quality, thick and clear. If this spoiler holds at highway speeds and raises the air flow a couple inches it’ll be worth the $30 investment. I’m gonna try to get in a test ride today

Last edited:
Another small upgrade for the Tracer.

Installed a clip-on spoiler. Amotime is the maker (Chinese based I’m sure) and sourced from MotoParty in Tulsa.
View attachment 377077

View attachment 377079

View attachment 377078
The install was a little fussy. The maker made some changes to the mount system, took some minutes to figure out what they were explaining, that was longer than the install.

The OEM shield works well at my 5’9” with low turbulence. I do look through the spoiler. But the plastic is good quality, thick and clear. If this spoiler holds at highway speeds and raises the air flow a couple inches it’ll be worth the $30 investment. I’m gonna try to get in a test ride today
I had put a similar one on my GS, but it broke off when the bike took a dive off the trailer when a strap tore loose on the super rough road!

Finally got my GPS swapped over.
Had a Garmin Zumo 396 mounted on the K1600, it works well enough, but came across a deal here for an almost new XT.
Huge difference in screen size and clarity. Have not ridden with it yet, but can tell it will be better.

I also got my PDM60 reprogramed (the GPS would not turn on immediatly, and would turn off with key off, I set it to turn on with ignition and stay on for 5 minutes after key off so if I am getting gas I can turn the ignition off, open the tank and not have to worry about it shutting off).
I'm interested in how you'll like the XT. I'm at a point where I'm considering trying the GPS units again so I can be a little more adventurous. My last one, a Zumo 450, was incredibly slow and I'd miss turns, exits, etc. and then there was the issue of zooming out for a little better idea of where you are in the grand scheme of things and the level of detail disappeared way sooner than it needed to. Small screen too. The XT2 is on sale at Revzilla for $500. XT for $400. My eyes need that extra 1/2" these days.

I'm on the fence about the availability of the units that rely on your phone and mirror the screen. They look good, have big screens and can do a lot more as a result of relying on the phone. Google maps is always updated, not as limited with music storage, can use all kinds of phone apps which means you can use all kinds of available navigation programs, plus it's your phone! There's other things they can offer too like front and rear facing cameras for recording and picture taking and also TPMS for those bikes that don't come with it.

I'm satisfied with how my in-dash GPS works and the look and feel of it. It's a Jeep with U Connect. I like the POV look when you get close to the turn offs, overall level of detail and the Garmin is quite similar. However, my Jeep, being a 2016, was the last year to use a particular operating system and the maps, POIs and apps immediately became "no longer supported." No map updates since 2015 actually because U Connect was working on the new version instead. So that's the downside of dedicated in dash units. The cell phone doesn't have this problem. I suspect Garmin will always update their maps.

But I'm not kidding myself into thinking I'm a hard core adv rider and I don't have BDRs and HOWs within 1000 miles of my house to require all the various navigation apps out there. Even gravel forest roads in Texas are on a Garmin and most of Texas is privately owned so you can't just find some dirt path and go down it without the risk of lead poisoning. And the videos I watched show that the XT and XT2 has offroad maps and some terrain available for basic needs type of adv riders should I find myself 1000+ miles away from Tomball. I wish I could pair a could cameras to it mainly for accident reasons.

So, I have a couple things to think about but I'm leaning towards Garmin's ease of use. I just don't want to spend hours learning to build tracks and files or learning to navigate a bunch of apps. I'm more of a look down at the GPS and see where you are kind of person and if I'm lost, zoom out to find the nearest road to get back on track.

I'm interested in how you'll like the XT. I'm at a point where I'm considering trying the GPS units again so I can be a little more adventurous. My last one, a Zumo 450, was incredibly slow and I'd miss turns, exits, etc. and then there was the issue of zooming out for a little better idea of where you are in the grand scheme of things and the level of detail disappeared way sooner than it needed to. Small screen too. The XT2 is on sale at Revzilla for $500. XT for $400. My eyes need that extra 1/2" these days.

I'm on the fence about the availability of the units that rely on your phone and mirror the screen. They look good, have big screens and can do a lot more as a result of relying on the phone. Google maps is always updated, not as limited with music storage, can use all kinds of phone apps which means you can use all kinds of available navigation programs, plus it's your phone! There's other things they can offer too like front and rear facing cameras for recording and picture taking and also TPMS for those bikes that don't come with it.

I'm satisfied with how my in-dash GPS works and the look and feel of it. It's a Jeep with U Connect. I like the POV look when you get close to the turn offs, overall level of detail and the Garmin is quite similar. However, my Jeep, being a 2016, was the last year to use a particular operating system and the maps, POIs and apps immediately became "no longer supported." No map updates since 2015 actually because U Connect was working on the new version instead. So that's the downside of dedicated in dash units. The cell phone doesn't have this problem. I suspect Garmin will always update their maps.

But I'm not kidding myself into thinking I'm a hard core adv rider and I don't have BDRs and HOWs within 1000 miles of my house to require all the various navigation apps out there. Even gravel forest roads in Texas are on a Garmin and most of Texas is privately owned so you can't just find some dirt path and go down it without the risk of lead poisoning. And the videos I watched show that the XT and XT2 has offroad maps and some terrain available for basic needs type of adv riders should I find myself 1000+ miles away from Tomball. I wish I could pair a could cameras to it mainly for accident reasons.

So, I have a couple things to think about but I'm leaning towards Garmin's ease of use. I just don't want to spend hours learning to build tracks and files or learning to navigate a bunch of apps. I'm more of a look down at the GPS and see where you are kind of person and if I'm lost, zoom out to find the nearest road to get back on track.
:popcorn:

Almost finished the fire pit I'm setting up at the airport. We have areally nice gas grill, a 3'x3' fire pit and I am looking for a stainless steel restaurant sink/counter combo.

Gonna have an airport burger burn and chili dog picnic this Spring. I still have to weld in 2 more pieces of perlin.

Attachments

• 20240322_113405.jpg
    20240322_113405.jpg
    428.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240322_152837.jpg
    20240322_152837.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 18
One of the aux lights went out.
PIAA1100X bulbs are unicorns and over-priced so I swapped both with LED landscape bulbs.
5W vs 55W is a nice power savings too.
They are flood pattern so I will have to lower the aim.

Attachments

• BC40A047-3277-4447-A83F-54135772E832.jpeg
    BC40A047-3277-4447-A83F-54135772E832.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 12
One of the aux lights went out.
PIAA1100X bulbs are unicorns and over-priced so I swapped both with LED landscape bulbs.
5W vs 55W is a nice power savings too.
They are flood pattern so I will have to lower the aim.
Will the landscape bulbs survive the vibration and jarring??

So you taking the TW on a tiddler run? I thought it might be too big to qualify...
So I may know a guy that rides a DR200... So the TW200 shouldn't be a problem... Registration & insurance should be ready...

20240323_131628.jpg
Thought about dragging it up with the Trike possibly scoring style points in case of a DNF...
😎

Was hoping to finish the pit today, but didn't get it done!

I did finish the prep shelves, cut in a center brace and got the cover/griddle welded up.

The last item is the grill frame and expanded metal! The plasma cutter earned its keep today!

Got to use the new power outlets, lights and air line for the first time too! Also welded up a few of the hangar door tracks....

Attachments

• 20240323_115225.jpg
    20240323_115225.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240323_171354.jpg
    20240323_171354.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240323_105257.jpg
    20240323_105257.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 12
Was hoping to finish the pit today, but didn't get it done!

I did finish the prep shelves, cut in a center brace and got the cover/griddle welded up.

The last item is the grill frame and expanded metal! The plasma cutter earned its keep today!

Got to use the new power outlets, lights and air line for the first time too! Also welded up a few of the hangar door tracks....
You're a busy, busy man.

The three week run of work with no break ended when my head crashed into my pillows at 5am today.

Seriously wanting the E30 operational for runs back and forth to Boerne for this weeks big finale, I did in fact replace this radiator.

DSCN9980.JPG

Which was really annoying as the "perfect fit for your classic car" replacement needed a moment with the side grinder to keep the fan from hitting it. :thpt:
OEM was 300 bucks more. :thpt:

Also replaced this front wheel bearing hub thingy.

DSCN9981.JPG

All done just in time for the Boerne gig to start last Wed. The old girl sailing along I-10 again was so nice.
Also threw in 2 bottles of Lucas injector cleaner and about 4gal. of premium. That woke up the injector section!

Today I allegedly cleaned up the huge mess and scattered tools from it all, and I'm too pooped to take another pic.
Please settle for the other project du jour pic right outside the garage, smoked meatballs!

DSCN9979.JPG

Back