• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Why USPS is soooo efficient

all of which could be digitized, I'm sure. I have signed legal documents digitally. Of course the Gubment uses USPS. They're both the Gubment!

eh-hem !!!
Speaking on half of all who work at the Houston facility.
blah blah blah …
sorry ???
btw: regional offices like Bryan & Beaumont are now sorting their own mail.

I appreciate what you do, especially if you've spent years in it as a career! I know there are still postal employees out there that take pride in their work but none are to be found at my local offices.

Looks like they got "Chow Chow Chow" cat driving the mail truck

1691683125461.png

I appreciate what you do, especially if you've spent years in it as a career! I know there are still postal employees out there that take pride in their work but none are to be found at my local offices.

+1.

My cousin and his sadly passed wife chose USPS as their careers in the 80's. He was in the mail handlers union, she in the management union. They never brought work home, but I heard some stories over beers at how bleeped up things are/were with the entire agency that it seemed a miracle anything got anywhere in less than a month.

Here is another one. I think they are playing baseball here. Looks like package was almost to home plate (Sealy) but forgot to tag third base (North Houston) and had to go back. Sure hope it doesn't get in pickle and is tagged out (lost).

1691770469435.png

Here is a small package from the Chicago area, went to Dallas, then passed thru Longview to Shreveport, then to Longview, then to Hallsville (which is between Longview and Shreveport), then back to Shreveport, then to Longview, and hopefully to me this afternoon.

Out for Delivery
Out for Delivery, Expected Delivery Between 12:15pm and 2:15pm
LONGVIEW, TX 75604
August 15, 2023, 6:10 am

Arrived at Post Office
LONGVIEW, TX 75605
August 15, 2023, 4:49 am

Departed USPS Regional Facility
SHREVEPORT LA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
August 15, 2023, 3:05 am

Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
August 14, 2023, 10:13 pm

Arrived at USPS Facility
HALLSVILLE, TX 75650
August 14, 2023, 9:12 am

Arrived at USPS Facility
LONGVIEW, TX 75605
August 14, 2023, 3:58 am

Arrived at USPS Facility
LONGVIEW, TX 75602
August 14, 2023, 1:22 am

August 14, 2023, 12:17 am

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
August 13, 2023, 7:20 am

In Transit to Next Facility
August 13, 2023, 5:37 am
DALLAS TX LOGISTICS CENTER
August 13, 2023, 3:48 am

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
DALLAS TX LOGISTICS CENTER
August 12, 2023, 11:47 pm

ELK GROVE VILLAGE IL DISTRIBUTION CENTER
August 12, 2023, 5:50 am

Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
August 11, 2023, 6:17 pm

Accepted at USPS Regional Origin Facility
August 11, 2023, 5:02 pm

The place where my sister lives in the mountains (and I normally reside in the summers) is a small town of 12,000. Her birthday is Thursday so I sent her a box on Monday afternoon thinking that it might get there on Wednesday, but probably for sure on her birthday. Boy, was I surprised.

Screenshot 2023-08-15 8.31.22 PM.png

That's practically 23 hours doorstep to doorstep.

Well, they aren't the only ones. I had an order coming via FedEx. Was supposed to arrive on Sunday but we had to not be at home for our realtor to have an Open House. It's perishable and I didn't want it sitting in front of the house or being delivered during the Open House, so I used the FedEx option to have it dropped off at a designated FedEx pickup location.

1 hour after the location opens, FedEx marked the package as not delivered due to location being closed. Retrying delivery.
Monday it was on the truck for delivery to the pickup location. It still has not arrived there, still showing on the truck for delivery as of Monday morning with no updates since then and no way to contact an actual person to find out what is going on, and no additional management of the delivery, as I'd just tell them to go ahead and deliver it to the original address.

What's sad though is that as we were loading up the car to head out Sunday morning, the FedEx truck went speeding past my house, should have just left well enough alone. Sigh.

So, it was still pending delivery to the dropoff location yesterday afternoon, so I stopped by to see if maybe it was dropped off and not scanned. Yup, however at least two days of travel in the hot truck beyond what the ice pack and insulation were there for had killed my delivery. Company is sending the replacement via UPS, we'll see if they do any better.

I posted about this same complaint once or twice on FB and an acquaintance got all upset about it. She is a retired postal worker and get all bent out of shape because I didn't like the way it works.
Heard all about how someone in the organization closed a bunch of the offices so everything from certain parts of the state/country all get routed though this area and that area. TBH, I don't care why it is happening, it's a waste of money. And some people wonder why other people don't trust the government. They can't even deliver a simple package on time or in the quickest manner.

Had a package from CA that was supposed to be delivered last Thursday. DHL handed it off to the local USPS to deliver. Since I didn’t receive it at the end of the day, I checked the USPS tracking which said it was undeliverable due to the address being invalid and would be sent back to original shipper. I emailed both USPS and DHL as well as the shipper. The package was delivered the next day and it plainly had the correct address. What really happened was Amazon had put a package in my mailbox and the delivery person from USPS couldn’t fit the package in the box ( God for bid they got out of their truck, walked 30 feet to the front door, and dropped it there). So they took it back and posted it had a bad address on it. Why couldn’t they just say the box was full instead of saying they were sending it back? On top of all of it, I got a call from someone with an attitude at the local post office who said my #*@$ package was delivered on Friday.
So, between that situation and the fact they went up to over $300/year on my PO Box, no - don’t have a good opinion of the USPS.

Funny address invalid story from a while back.

I had an expensive package comingv via UPS and didn't want it sitting outside our house in our shady neighborhood since both myself and my wife worked late. I was working part time with her at the camera shop at the mall and decided to have it redirected to there so I called in and had it changed. Something like 114 Town East Mall, Mesquite TX, 75150.

Day of delivery, the website tracking shows that it couldn't be delivered due to invalid address. I call back and confirm the 114 Town East Mall address is on there and they verify it. Next day, same thing, can't be delivered due to invalid address. This time I call in and have them read me the address instead, sure enough it's correct. We get mail and packages all the time so I can't figure it out, so since the next day I'm off, I opt to have them hold it at the UPS facility and I'll just pick it up.

It all became clear when I did the pickup, there was a slight miscommunication between me and the person handling the original redirect. They put 114 Townie Small.

Yea, say it out loud.

Townie Small
Town East Mall.

That address was in fact invalid, and while a couple days late, I got my package and a good laugh.

On top of all of it, I got a call from someone with an attitude at the local post office who said my #*@$ package was delivered on Friday.
So, between that situation and the fact they went up to over $300/year on my PO Box, no - don’t have a good opinion of the USPS.
My Amazon Prime driver was parked in front of my house facing the wrong way when my postal carrier was driving up the street the correct way. The carrier got out of her truck and lit into the Amazon driver for blocking her way and really gave her a ration of ..... The Amazon driver basically told to F off and drive around which is what she should have done in the first place instead of getting all sanctimonious about everything.

When I remodeled this place I installed one of those BIG mailboxes where everything can lay flat because I get a lot of magazines, but do they lay them flat? Oh noooo, every magazine I get is folded in half taking up 1/2 of the mailbox floor. And... probably 30% of the time the carrier doesn't close the mailbox door tight enough and it falls back open. She can see that when she drives back up the street on the other side, but does she stop and fix the issue? Oh nooooo.

I'd like to report her, but then I wonder what would happen to my mail deliveries at that point.

Interesting read , why the mail service can't be privatized. American Letter Mail Company

Article
Talk
Read
Edit
View history

Tools
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
American Letter Mail Company

The American Letter Mail Company stamp of 1844
Industry Courier
Founded 1844
Defunct 1851
Fate Outlawed by
Private Express Statutes
Headquarters USA New York
Key people Lysander Spooner
The American Letter Mail Company was started by Lysander Spooner in 1844, competing against the legal monopoly of the United States Post Office (USPO, now the USPS).

History
Spooner started the service out of frustration with the exceedingly high postal rates. It cost 18 3/4 cents to send a letter from Boston to New York and 25 cents to send one from Boston to Washington, DC. A letter sent from Boston to Albany, NY written on a 1/4-ounce sheet of paper and carried by the Western Railroad, cost 2/3 as much as the freight charge for carrying a barrel of flour the same distance. Spooner's justification was that the Constitution provided for a government-run postal service, but did not exclude others from engaging in the same business. Spooner dropped his rates even lower, delivering many letters for free. This competition dropped prices dramatically with postage of 6 1/4 cents per each half-ounce and stamps 20 for a dollar. Deliveries were made twice daily between New York City and Philadelphia. The US Government tried to lower prices by threatening railroads to withdraw business. However, the U.S. Government challenged Spooner with legal measures whereby Spooner was initially vindicated. In fact the U.S. Circuit Court expressed doubt that the U.S. had the right to monopolize the transportation of mail. Congress eventually forced him to cease operations in 1851 by legislating a US monopoly.[1]

Hmmmmmm.... here we go again... This time UPS is involved

08/25/2023
11:41 A.M. Depature Scan: Enroute to USPS
Carrollton, TX, United States
08/24/2023
5:30 A.M. Departed UPS Facility
Morrow, GA, United States
08/23/2023
10:56 P.M. Package processed
Morrow, GA, United States
08/23/2023
9:43 P.M. Shipment tendered to UPS Mail Innovations