• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

3 Amigos Explore NW Colorado

Just for you, Brian.

We are nothing if not neat freaks

IMG_20240911_075228777.jpg

The camp cots reco'd by fellow TWTer are working out great. Comfy even for side sleeper-bony hipped me.

IMG_20240911_075918605~2.jpg

You can see the food locker and LicketySplit's camp too.

I've never camped where a food locker was needed. We complied but it certainly does complicate camp life. Not just food (even canned and spices and the portable grill) but tooth paste, deodorant, basically everything goes in the locker. Our fake yeti is supposedly bear proof, but who wants the ice chest full of food batted around by a bear? So in it went. Thankfully, the next site over is unoccupied, because we took up both halves. 😬
Thanks, I'm all for towing my own hotel room. If it gets chilly up there, bring it home with ya.

Says the guy who couldn't deliver on his own request. :D

Hmmm

Here are some pics of the kind of adjustafork adventurers we are looking for. Opposed to some grandslam pics of a FJR in a Denny's parking lot :lol2:

I hope yall are having fun out there, wish I was there!! You could have shoved me in an extra tote, what difference would it make if you had 14 of them with you.

1726080131970.png

1726080181154.png

1726080224480.png

Steve-o, pretty sure I told you of our plans? Yep, one more tote wouldn't have mattered. We might coulda carved out a space for you in the back seat too. Next time.

12sep24
Despite yesterday’s long, wearying day, camp has stirred to life early. After fierce winds through the night, temperatures have dropped. It’s a crisp 57 at 0730. The wind was still when I woke earlier but now blowing steadily from the east.

The 3 amigos are now cuatro. Grommet (Patrick) has joined us after his own backcountry ride was interrupted. We’re happy to have him join in. The more the merrier! And his 690 looks ready to rumble.

But I’m delaying the telling of yesterday’s adventure. None of the tres amigos had done any dual sporting in a while. LicketySplit not since his epic crash about a year (?) ago.

So we decide to ease into things with a short, easy route. In fact, the route is officially rated “easy” by Utah OHV Association.

It’s pleasantly warm and sunny when we leave camp at around 1000. We are wanting to find the Swinging Bridge and thence to Crause Canyon. We should be back to camp in time for a late lunch and a run to Maybell (50 miles away) for more ice.

LicketySplit (John) and his KTM350
IMG_20240911_100043091_BURST001.jpg

JT and the KLX300
IMG_20240911_104605050~2.jpg

The riding is easy, the views of surrounding hills and mountains ever changing and the Green River is different at every view. Sometimes deep and rolling with a silent, swift current, sometimes wide and shallow ripping over rocks. Sometimes meandering, creating wetlands that look like estuaries. Wetlands in a semi-arid desert.

IMG_20240911_104551059~2.jpg

IMG_20240911_110549937~2.jpg

We find the Swinging Bridge and JT relates that this bridge has been replaced twice. In 1920 or so, someone attempted to drive his truck over by keeping the tires on the boards. He misjudged and the truck broke through and hung suspended.

In 2014, a drunken fool attempted to drive a tractor across. The driver was doubly foolish because he had lobbied for the bridge and was involved in the design, funding and construction of it. The tractor too, hung suspended from the broken bridge.

The bridge today.

IMG_20240911_110428189~2.jpg

IMG_20240911_110617846~2.jpg

This guy was stretched out on the road when LS (LicketySplit) zoomed by just inches from him. It didn't flinch so I thought it was dead. Nope, just still too chilled to move fast. John kept him in place while I dug the camera out.

Now he's awake
IMG_20240911_112501584~2.jpg

IMG_20240911_112536676~2.jpg

I couldn't get the camera to focus on his head. Pretty markings and stayed calm while we handled him then let him go away from the road.

We rode on to Crause Canyon. The riding is fun and the canyon gorgeous. It soon narrows, giving us close up views of the towering walls on either side.

IMG_20240911_114318941~2.jpg

IMG_20240911_114444932~2.jpg

More to come

Attachments

• IMG_20240911_110617846~2.jpg
    IMG_20240911_110617846~2.jpg
    907.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I've always wanted to pass thru Dinosaur. Always too hot in June when we do pur yearly trip. Hope it's temperate for you.

We rode today and that is a story.

But first I want to include some pics taken along the way to camp.

This is on I70. Super neat stretch of interstate. Several tunnels and an upper and lower deck for several miles.
IMG_20240910_165554217.jpg
Glenwood Canyon along I-70 is probably the prettiest section of any interstate highway.

Glenwood Canyon along I-70 is probably the prettiest section of any interstate highway.
So true, one of the few interstates worth taking on purpose. That said, it's also a combination of NASCAR and Mad Max on it, so ride as defensively as possible. It was a bit of a bear to deal with though when the landslide happened, but last time I went through it was very nice.

Please talk more about that solar panel setup!

Steve-o,

I've been reading and you tubing for literally years on solar power and portable power stations.

This solar panel made sense to me. It is a relatively new "cigs" type vs poly or monocrystalline. It's a thin flexible panel, very durable with a 10 year warranty and more efficient than the older types. I bought it thru 'amazing' for 230. It's a BougeRV 100 watt.

The power station is a Bluetti EB3A.

The panel fully charged the Bluetti in less than 3 hours on a sunny day at home. I then tested the Bluetti by running an electric blanket at the warmest setting. It ran for almost 4 hours.

This is their first outing. I originally planned to transport the panel as it was shipped, ie, rolled up in a box. It proved to be very awkward for one person to get it back in the box. And, since I wanted to be able to set it up in a variety of situations I decided to mount it on thin plywood and provide ways to attach it to various things or be able to prop it up. What you see in the pic is a prototype of what I might do to be able to safely transport and deploy the panel.

This morning the power station was down to 65%. When I hooked it up to the panel, it estimated full charge in 3.5 hrs. Disappointing. However, as the sun climbed higher and became brighter, the Bluetti was fully charged in less than an hour. I then plugged in everything I could find. 3 cell phones, 2 iPads, laptop, LED lantern, senas. It was still hooked up to the panel and charged everything quickly (except the 2 iPads because they are always s l o w) and stayed very close to 100%.

So far, I am pleased!

Edit to add panel model info.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks for elaborating. I've chased my tail a bit as I've contemplated various setups for my truck camper as well as my cargo trailer. At first I was really planning out permanent installs in both. For now, in my truck I just have a small jump box and a couple handheld solar/battery packs to charge my "smalls". And in my trailer I have two deep cycle batteries that last for several days with no recharge help at all. I keep a tender on it at home.

Recent months, the portable power stations appeal to me due to the ability to use it on different trips, different trucks (my ram or my tacoma), trips with trailer, trips without trailer, easily take down to waters edge, beach, bbq pit spot etc. I like your portable panel idea on the plywood. I've been thinking about two smaller panels to make transport easier. For sure a lot of cool options these days, this stuff has come a long ways just in the last few years. So far, I'm just dreaming, that's free :-).

12sep24, con’t

IMG_20240911_171641295.jpg

So far the ride was everything we wanted. Beautiful and varied scenery, blue skies and sun, warm with cool breezes. And the route - easy but fun.

IMG_20240911_131432868.jpg

IMG_20240911_130552405~2.jpg

Feeling confident and not wanting the fun to end, the decision was made to ride Sears canyon. On the way there we ride through rangelands seeing fat Angus heifers and some cool ranch houses, hunter’s camps along with fancy summer homes sprinkled in here and there.

Eventually we turned onto a dirt road and soon were met with a steeply tilted dirt two track with a deep rut meandering down the center. But it was running slightly down hill so we muddled through.

Meanwhile, the sky had turned gray and the wind picked up considerably. (Read with a foreboding tone.)

We hit a rocky section but nobody thought this kind of stuff could last long. So we bounced our way onward. We crossed a stream several times. The non-rocky sections became fewer in number and shorter in duration. There were numerous small ledges. I began dropping my bike.

Sorry Steve-o, last thing on JTs mind was snapping pix. But I grabbed one of the bike down just for you.

IMG_20240911_131802323~2.jpg

IMG_20240911_133756474~2.jpg

I think the third time down my foot got pinned under the bike in a painful way. JT got to me quickly but it didn’t feel like it when I was sure my lower leg was slowly being broken. Once up tho, no broken bones, just a bruised ankle. And shaken confidence. 🙁

IMG_20240911_131756456~2.jpg

Now the fear of aggravating the injury or damaging the bike to the point it became inop was topmost in my mind. I rode again, but soon JT was riding his bike for a section then walking back to mine leapfrog fashion as the rocky trail went on and on, up and down with no break. LS would ride ahead then walk back, moving rocks in places where it would help the most. Walking this trail, esp in our heavy boots was no picnic, you had to look and plan every step.

****vids jt crossing stream on klx, 33, then on mak 14
JT on mak downhill, 10

We were concerned about the bike’s relatively low ground clearance, I had bashed the skid plate pretty hard already, then JT smacked it hard a time or two. We kept an eye out for oil leaks. Concern about that made JT’s job more strenuous; having to maneuver the bike around or over the biggest drops. Sometimes stopping to build up a drop-IF he could get to a place where he could put the kickstand down.

Meanwhile, I limped along the trail, helping move rocks, sometimes riding either mine or JTs bike when I could. Being on foot gave me a chance to notice some local flora. We were in what I call “twisted piñon” country. I saw one log about 6” in diameter and 8’ long, perfectly twisted like a barber pole its entire length. I really wanted to drag it out of there and bring it home. 🙄

***pix***dead piñon, flora, lichens

IMG_20240911_132904321.jpg

IMG_20240911_130539921.jpg

I've never noticed lichens growing in this circular pattern.
IMG_20240911_144044549.jpg

IMG_20240911_143820481.jpg

Later muchachos!
https://jrthompson.smugmug.com/Android-Auto-Upload/n-6hcBX7/i-kZWKtN5

Attachments

• IMG_20240911_144044549~2.jpg
    IMG_20240911_144044549~2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back