• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

3 Amigos Explore NW Colorado

Looks a little different than 2015 when I rode through there.

Too bad the you had to turn back. There was other cool stuff to check out past that water crossing.

1726657507778.jpeg

1726657533247.jpeg

Attachments

• 1726656796920.jpeg
    1726656796920.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
Only been to Colorado twice, never on a bike. Before I age out sure wish I could check some of it out! Minus the drop-offs, lol.

Last edited:
Adding a few to the report.

IMG_2504.jpg

In Steamboat Springs, this sign lured me in like a moth to a flame.

IMG_2507.jpg

My first look at the western end of the valley.

IMG_2508.jpg

The Green river at the Gates of Lodore.

IMG_2520.jpg

This bike makes me feel like a 12 year old again.

IMG_2532.jpg

It really does not get much better than this.

IMG_2537.jpg

On the swinging bridge.

IMG_2539.jpg

Looking downstream.

IMG_2540.jpg

JT and Gina.

IMG_2541.jpg

JT. Note, the custom tiger stripes on Gina's ride.

IMG_2543.jpg

IMG_2546.jpg

Stopped for a break in Crouse canyon.

IMG_2550.jpg

It took us a couple of hours to negotiate the tight spots in Sears canyon. Take the steepness you see in the photo and double it. Add in all the loose rocks and you have an intermediate trail, not an easy one. Turns out, it is not the best place for a heavy adv bike. Sorry about that Gina.

IMG_2556.jpg

Out of the canyon. Looking down into Taylor Flats.

IMG_2559-2.jpg

One of my favorite views of Brown's Park.

IMG_2568.jpg

Speaking of colorful, a spectacular sunset over the gates.

After leaving the canyon, we picked up a section of the "Trail of the Ancients" a scenic byway that loops through Utah and NM.

For much of the day, everywhere we went, it looked like the rain had just stopped.
Then we see this ahead of us.
IMG_20240917_173652628.jpg

Quickly turned into this.
IMG_20240917_173853769.jpg

John hit the hazards and pulled to the shoulder. The hail hitting the truck was deafening.

In just a few minutes, it was over.
IMG_20240917_174500998~2.jpg

Even got a rainbow for our troubles.
Great photos! Keep them coming! Lol

You must be referring to last year's million dollar helicopter ride.

Fortunately, there was no need for medical assistance. I did not fall once. That happens occasionally.

IMG_2592.jpg

On the way to Echo Park, I stopped on Blue Mountain road for a photo of Dinosaur National monument.

IMG_2597.jpg

Jack Chew's house.

IMG_2686.jpg

IMG_2605.jpg

Can you see the petroglyphs?

IMG_2607.jpg

How about now?

IMG_2607-2.jpg

and now?

IMG_2627.jpg

The whispering cave.

IMG_2620.jpg

IMG_2619.jpg

Grommet, the fourth amigo.

IMG_2633.jpg

Echo Park

Last edited:
The Yampa Bench road was a fast and flowing up and down roller coaster of fun.

IMG_2641.jpg

Turning left from Echo Park road, the sand gets a little thicker on the bench road.

IMG_2652.jpg

Harding Hole.

IMG_2669.jpg

IMG_2672.jpg

IMG_2674.jpg

IMG_2679.jpg

IMG_2668.jpg

Lickety Split and Grommet above Harding Hole.

IMG_2691.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2671.jpg
    IMG_2671.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2653.jpg
    IMG_2653.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Looks like you got to run on a fresh graded bench road before bubba blazed it in his 4x4 right after a good rain . Thats the only way Ive ever seen it . I have been on some other good roads without 4x4 tracks . Some roads along seven mile ridge west of the little snake river were really fun when they hadn't seen any wheels other than two wheels in a few years . There were tumble weeds 3 feet across growing in one road , fun fun .

The roads were in great shape. In Brown's Park, so much so, it became a slippy hazard. I had seven mile ridge and Godiva rim on the GPS, but we did not make it that far east. I will be going up there again. The solitude is amazing...

For me, this trip started in Sevierville, TN. My wife and I live full time in an RV, and were staying with some friends there for a few weeks. As part of the prep for the UTBDR, I went tubeless. Partially; just on the rear wheel for now, because I only needed a new rear tire, so that's the only wheel that came off the bike. (I'm not about that changing tires life on dirt bikes unless I have to; 2 BDRs on a 17 year old front tire on my KLX400 to prove this. Plenty of tread left, and it survived with no issues and not one drop on either BDR)

So anyway, back to the tubeless. I followed the thread on advrider, using 3M 4411 tape and 5200 sealant. (https://advrider.com/f/threads/3m-4411n-sealing-tape-tubeless-conversion.1147330/)

IMG_E9643.png

To get closer to Utah, and for other reasons, we then moved to Troy, MO. Staying with a work associate of my wife, on their 6 acres of rural countryside property. More bike prep. After many years of research and saving my pennies for the right moment, I put together an ultra-lightweight camping gear kit. Ground sheet, tent, air mattress, sleeping bag, chair, mess kit, and silverware, all together right around 8lb. (hit me up if you want the list of stuff). I had to make my own poles for the tent, and they stand up inside some pockets in the tent material. (they suggest you use your trekking poles for this, which I don't have) So I improvised with material from the tire I took off the rear of the bike.
IMG_9657.jpg

Those knobs have been over Black Bear Pass (twice) so they are thoroughly road tested. Camp testing TBD.

More gear prep - washing. (This turned out to be of little value; after day 1 the gear looked the same again)
IMG_9650.jpg

Getting my bike ready:

IMG_9653.jpg

IMG_9654.jpg

I ended up using my Tusk dry bag instead of the Mosko 22L top bag. It's a lot more versatile and easier to get into on the trail. I added the Tusk tank panniers for some easy-access storage. Mostly tools.

BTW, Gina identified this bike as a 690 earlier in this thread - it's a 500 exc-f.

Loaded and ready to roll:

IMG_9665.jpg

Yes, that ramp was made on the spot. It was replaced on this trip with an assist from JT (Thanks, JT) But it did work. Mostly. (bike loading fail video guys missed a great opportunity. nuf said)

Now for the actual trip. Trips. I met @jredford in Wichita, and we drove out to Cortez, CO. to start the UTBDR. Why Cortez? Because it's close to the UTBDR start and you can (safely) leave a vehicle parked at the Cortez Airport for free. We started out with pavement to Bluff, then down the road a bit to Valley of the Gods. I had never been through there, so I got some pics.

IMG_9667.jpg

IMG_9669.jpg

IMG_9671.jpg

IMG_9672.jpg

IMG_9674.jpg

(now you can see why I needed the Tusk dry bag vs the 22L Mosko stinger. Neither bag complained about the different brand of the other)

The trouble started shortly after this. JRed lost the bag with all his tools in it. It was one of the lower bags in his Reckless 80 setup. We have no idea how it got out, but it was gone.

Then he did a classic loop and catapult maneuver in some talcum powder sand, resulting in a dirt nap.

Unfortunately the dirt nap turned into a long sleep. Later investigation revealed the fuel pump had been ripped from its mooring and wiring inside the tank. The bike refused to continue.

Long story short, we called it, and I took JRed back to Wichita. I hung out there for a day deciding what to do. Lickety and friends were calling from CO. My friend Mark Glorioso from Harrison, AR (I'm sure some of you know him) , was out of commission with a knee replacement. So CO won out, and I headed back west.

There was a lot of this:

IMG_9684.jpg

Made it to Gates of Lodore Campground and met up with Lickety, JT, and Gina. Great people. First day was the day they struggled out on the trail. I got in after they left, so I set up camp. Found I had no cell service, so I rode back toward Maybell to let my wife know I'd be offline for a few days.

The camping gear worked well.

IMG_9692.jpg

Next day, we went to Dutch John in the morning for supplies, then did a ride in the afternoon.

Store in Dutch John through my rose colored glasses:

IMG_9693.jpg

The ride that afternoon was pretty low key. JT got a flat, and completed the fastest and most efficient tube change I've ever seen out on the trail. Well done, JT.

Couple of pics from late in the day:

IMG_9694.jpg

IMG_9695.jpg

Lickety and JT are great riding partners.

Next day, we relocated to Green River Campground. Nice drive through Dutch John and the Flaming Gorge area, then down to Vernal.

Sunrise pics at Gates of Lodore campground:

IMG_9703.jpg

IMG_9704.jpg

Flaming Gorge, near the bridge:

IMG_9706.jpg

Later that day, we toured the Dinosaur NP visitor center and quarry wall. Lots of dinosaur bones. Pretty cool. I'd never been there. It's worth a stop.

IMG_9708.jpg

There are hundreds of fossilized dinosaur bones in that wall.

IMG_9713.jpg

Next day Lickety and I did the Yampa Bench Road. Great riding, and some cool stuff to see on the way. If you want to practice backing it in and power sliding through a corner, there are many opportunities for that on this road.

IMG_9714.jpg

Look closely for the petroglyphs:

IMG_9715.jpg

This cave is naturally air-conditioned. It's amazing in there.

IMG_9722.jpg

IMG_9721.jpg

Echo Park: (yes, it echoes)

IMG_9724.jpg

Lots of great views along this road:

IMG_9727.jpg

IMG_9730.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9728.jpg
    IMG_9728.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 8
Then it was time to go. Over 1100 miles to get back to Troy. I gave myself 2 days to do it, and got back around noon the second day.

IMG_9734.jpg

IMG_9736.jpg

epilog: JT, I found this when I got back home. I think you can get them on Amazon:

IMG_9740.jpg

It ended up being a long trip (almost 4000 miles of driving) but good times and good riding were had. It was great to meet Gina and JT - they are good people. Hope to see you again.

Back