• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

3 Amigos Explore NW Colorado

So good to see Grommet and LicketySplit's contributions. Awesome. And I think JT posted a link to his pix.

Alright, prepare for my sorry excuses:

Hit the ground running when we returned last Wed evening. Unpacking. Had work Thur then packed the lil camper for motorcycle class in Killeen. Left Fri and returned home Monday. Spent time with mom. Slept much of yesterday!
Perhaps this evening and tomorrow evening. I go out of town again this weekend, so I better finish it soon.

I just wanted to add that I thoroughly enjoyed camping and riding with JT, Gina and Patrick. Turns out, Gina is the one girl from the neighborhood who is not afraid of snakes. In addition to liking snakes, JT can change a flat tire faster than anyone else I have ever seen.

Looking forward to the next one...

I just wanted to add that I thoroughly enjoyed camping and riding with JT, Gina and Patrick. Turns out, Gina is the one girl from the neighborhood who is not afraid of snakes. In addition to liking snakes, JT can change a flat tire faster than anyone else I have ever seen.

Looking forward to the next one...

We enjoyed your company too! Grommet showing up rounded out the group nicely.

IMG_20240912_124230826.jpg

L to R: JT, Grommet and LicketySplit

Definitely have to plan some future fun.

On our way to our first campground, The Gates of Lodore, JT and I stopped in the tiny town of Maybell for gas. The general store was closed. I sure wanted to go in and check it out.

IMG_20240910_190356835~2.jpg

I assumed we would soon return for ice. I was wrong. The boys fetched ice from Dutch John instead. Intriguing name, Dutch John, but it is little more than a large, over priced convenience store surrounded by a sprawling RV Park.

Speaking of names, we all were mystified by the name, Gates of Lodore. To me, it sounded like something from JRR Tolkien.

IMG_20240911_075725683~2.jpg

The beautiful Green River rolls toward the Gates of Lodore in the distance.

It was not until we were at the visitor's center at Dinosaur Natl Monument that I asked a ranger and was told this.

John Wesley Powell explored and named a good bit of things around here. In 1869, he led an expedition where he lived for months on the Green River, naming rapids and other features. Gave them interesting names too such as Disaster Falls and ****'s Half Mile. Twas he who took inspiration from an old Scottish poem, The Cataract of Lodore and gave the name the Gates of Lodore.

Maybell store is a well stocked store for such a small place but its the only thing for the whole of west Moffett county colorado , the only other stores are in Craig . I used to camp in the city park campground next to it when I rode that area . It was a really good base camp . Not near as good as Shell Wyoming though .

Maybell store is a well stocked store for such a small place but its the only thing for the whole of west Moffett county colorado , the only other stores are in Craig . I used to camp in the city park campground next to it when I rode that area . It was a really good base camp . Not near as good as Shell Wyoming though .
Does Maybell still have free camping in their park? It's been a few years since I went through there.

Never free that I know of , I know I paid for a rv space and showers but it was cheap . It was an honer system so I guess it could be free .

In 1992 it was free for tents or RVs. I went there because of a small billboard outside of town. They even had free electricity for the RVs

First time I rode through there was 2011 and there were people living in the city park , kinda like the tent people we used to see living under bridges back in the 80s , that would have been a very good reason to make it a daily fee camping area , a couple were pretty ratty looking . I started camping there in 2015 I think , I need a place to park for a couple weeks and it worked out very well so I went back till discovered Wyoming .

Back