• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HONDA XR650L OWNER'S SIGN IN

FDM nice avitar pic (wheelie) i to wish it would kool off.:clap:

Thanks Hancock, that was taken a couple months back on my 600r had my wife on the camera she thinks I’m crazy :lol2: anyway just ordered new sprockets and chain going to go with the 650r front sprocket my counter shaft is showing some pretty good wear so going to try that and replace it when I get into the engine.

It seems that R-man spent a little time away from the Sumo and took the 440 for a ride. Can't we create a little dialog about that?

The 440 went a little dirt-bikey on us at first. Friday's minor short behind the headlight had us making muffled noises from inside our helmets. Our resident electrical engineer, Thrasherg, found it by grabbing each wire in turn until one made him shake his hand. A couple of times the default method of starting any dirt bike was needed, bump start, but after it got the attention it needed it began behaving alike a Honda again, reliable. Other than that the 440 spent much of the weekend either with the front wheel in the air or slinging sand everywhere.

Hey guys. I just started looking at a 650L with supermoto conversion and was curious what kind of fuel economy y'all are getting. I searched this thread to no avail. A quick google search returned 50-60 mpg mixed riding, but I'd like to know what you're getting. Also, do you run regular unleaded or premium? Thanks!

When riding with Agman this weekend, He was getting around 38MPG from his XR650L, my CRF450 averaged 47MPG over the entire weekend.. Agman's numbers seem lower than I would expect, but that's what he was seeing, his bike looks quite standard except for an XR-only exhaust system.

Gary

I think Agman geared down his bike for better low end pull.

That would bring the MPG down.. I think 60MPG is too high for any kind of off-road riding on a 650, but 50 should be achievable with some careful throttle control!! ;-)

Gary

Hey guys. I just started looking at a 650L with supermoto conversion and was curious what kind of fuel economy y'all are getting. I searched this thread to no avail. A quick google search returned 50-60 mpg mixed riding, but I'd like to know what you're getting. Also, do you run regular unleaded or premium? Thanks!
Hi, my 650L Sumo, uncorked airbox, no engine mods (yet :mrgreen:), stock headers, Pro Circuit T-4 and Dynojet kit gets 45mpg +/- 5.

Why do you guys call it a 440? I thought it was a 600?

Gary
Ha! Nope, it's an XR400 with a 40cc overbore kit and every other bell and whistle available. The only thing it doesn't have is the stage 3 cam, I went with the stage 2 as I didn't want to fool around with the rocker arm mods. Quite honestly, all it needs now is a 6th gear!!:mrgreen: It'll do 75 + in 5th but trust me, it's wound up like a 23 hour clock doing it. :loco:

Ha! Nope, it's an XR400 with a 40cc overbore kit and every other bell and whistle available. The only thing it doesn't have is the stage 3 cam, I went with the stage 2 as I didn't want to fool around with the rocker arm mods. Quite honestly, all it needs now is a 6th gear!!:mrgreen: It'll do 75 + in 5th but trust me, it's wound up like a 23 hour clock doing it. :loco:

Rman, you must be running lower gearing than me. My xr4 (with 440 piston) stock cam and 15/45 gearing (530/18 rear tire - kinda tall) will pull 82/83 mph strung out absolutely screaming in 5th! (per garmin gps) Maybe I had a slight tail wind that day - :rofl:

So I'm not the only one on a piglet!! :trust: Us 400-450cc guys have to stick together!! :rider:

Gary

When riding with Agman this weekend, He was getting around 38MPG from his XR650L, my CRF450 averaged 47MPG over the entire weekend.. Agman's numbers seem lower than I would expect, but that's what he was seeing, his bike looks quite standard except for an XR-only exhaust system.

Gary

Finally! Someplace my DR250 excells: gas mileage! I was getting around 57.5-60.

That's not bad, my wife's CRF230F consistently gets mid 60's on dirt and low 70's on the street, its amazing how far she can get on that 2 gallon gas tank!!
She's not as hard on the throttle as you Knobbly so that helps and she's a bit smaller/lighter :lol2:

Gary

One word of caution if you ever need to replace the bulb. The four screws on the back are not all the same length. 2 are slightly longer. At a glance, they are look the same length but when you go to put them in, if you put a long one in the short hole and then try to force it the rest of the way in, the head comes right off the screw. Ask me how I know. :argh: :argh: :argh:

IMG_0319.jpg
Thanks Hancock and Tjrockit. I'll make contact with them.

Sat. me and some others will ride to Bertram area. Meet at Smokey js at 2222/620 8am. More twisties than anything else.

Back