• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Motorcycles in Movies

There are tons of movies with motorcycles, but only a handful have the correct sound with the bike.

There are tons of movies with motorcycles, but only a handful have the correct sound with the bike.
You mean like the XL250 that Stallone used to get the heck out of Dodge with the law hot on his heals? The biker won that race.:clap:

Darn it downs you already did Mad Max. Alot o'bikes in that one. Almost want to watch it tonight just cause of the Goose's Kawasaki KZ1000 bike.

More than likely that is because 99% of all movie sounds are placed into the soundtrack and not recorded with the video. WHen you have a scene where you see a honda on screen but the sound is harley for example, seen/heard that one to many times to count, it is more than likely the result of sound designer unfamiliar with motorcycles that grabbed a sound from a sound effects library that said "motorcycle". the sound fit with what the scene was doing and was was used. Yeah it's not right, but it happens a lot. Sometimes budget and other considerations get in the way of providing a true soundtrack to a movie. It's all make believe anyway.

It's all make believe anyway.

You mean the Terminator didn't really jump the Harley off the bridge into the aquaduct. I always enjoyed that scene because I once had an apartment about 2 blocks from there. Check out 2.03 into the clip.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL1RE8JXaIw"]Terminator 2 Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Norton 500 from Motorcycle Diaries. Rarely ever is the motorcycle the star. La Poderosa was the star of this movie.

You mean the Terminator didn't really jump the Harley off the bridge into the aquaduct. I always enjoyed that scene because I once had an apartment about 2 blocks from there. Check out 2.03 into the clip.

Terminator 2 Trailer - YouTube

someone probably jumped that motorcycle, but I bet the landing was no where near as pretty as it was in the movie, and I doubt it was arnie in the saddle when it happened

+1. Enjoyed the happy ending rebeginning.

As I recall, Lapchick "The Mad Hungarian" in Gumball Rally (1976) and his Kawasaki KH400 ended up in a tree at the end of the movie.

Gumball Rally, one of my favorite fun movies. Lapchick's scene at the gas station cracks me up everytime.

Was watching "The Jewel Of The Nile" with my wife when it came out, immediately noticed Michael Douglas' very cool ride:

images

'84 BMW R100S

And I'm no Tom Cruise fan , but gotta like his taste in bikes:
i006406.jpg

the ladies are pretty nice also :trust:

In The Great Escape, the most iconic motorcycle scene in a non-motorcycle movie, no CGI, no special effects, just Steve McQueen. The whole audience soared with him.

bud1192324251.jpg

And then shared his despair and pain in the wire.

escape2.jpg

Watch him jockey the Triumph TT650 Special.

[ame="http://youtu.be/_ccVu992CYE"]http://youtu.be/_ccVu992CYE[/ame]

He also rode some of the German motorcycles chasing him because the stunt riders were not riding hard enough.

In The Great Escape, the most iconic motorcycle scene in a non-motorcycle movie, no CGI, no special effects, just Steve McQueen. The whole audience soared with him.

bud1192324251.jpg

That's actually not McQueen doing the jump. He wanted to, and could've done it with his riding skills. But the movie insurers (bean counters) were horrified at the prospect that he might scratch himself. So McQueen's good friend, Bud Ekins, a fantastic rider and stuntman, performed the iconic jump. To Steve's credit as a stand-up guy, he set the record straight on the Johnny Carson show saying "It wasn't me. That was Bud Ekins". :thumb: All the other riding was done by McQueen.

In the Tao of Steve Donal Logan rides one of those Hondas with the transverse mounted V twins CBX 500 I think it was called. As well as he restores a 60's something Honda for the girl he has a crush on.

I think this may be what you are looking for: http://www.imcdb.org/

Has cars and bikes, and you can search by model.

What, no Aprilia?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqxkjNc_QjASFPhULkp58AHY-SyBOfLP8x0c4nqBSIpVU4Ipsj.jpg

There (easily) coulda been a better movie to represent the marque than this one (Abduction). No helmet, no gloves , at least the kid kept his shirt on :roll: . Typical teenage angst film.

Cool bike though :trust:

someone probably jumped that motorcycle, but I bet the landing was no where near as pretty as it was in the movie, and I doubt it was arnie in the saddle when it happened

Pretty sure it was Arnie, but all the cables and wires are missing. Think It's in the extras on the DVD.

Sent from a device that makes a tricorder look quaint.

"Name that movie"

(chase scene bikes re-staged in my driveway)

362396009.jpg

...maybe too easy, because I just posted it elsewhere, earlier today...

Back