• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My fall down....

No pictures. I have no desire to remember this day at all. I can not stress enough the horror I felt as I watched my wife crash in front of my eyes. Trust me, it was hard enough to write down what happened. There is no way I want photos of the scene.

I can't imagine what you must have felt seeing your SO go down. I've had two friends go down in front and beside me in two separate incidents, and it was scary enough, I can't imagine the added horror when it's a loved one going down.

No pictures. I have no desire to remember this day at all. I can not stress enough the horror I felt as I watched my wife crash in front of my eyes. Trust me, it was hard enough to write down what happened. There is no way I want photos of the scene.

:tab I'm just glad you did not target fixate on her or the bike and blow the corner yourself. That is an easy thing to do!

:tab I had the experience of listening to Beth go down. We were using communicators at the time. She was the tail end of a line of bikes on the Blue Ridge Parkway. We came into a decreasing radius corner. The sportbikes all leaned further and rolled on the gas. I let out a slight expletive under my breath but the mic picked it up. Beth heard this and panicked. She locked up the rear, stood the bike up and rode it out into the grass. I got to listen to all of this and her utterances as she went down. All I could picture in my mind was her and the bike going off the side of the mountain. It was all I could do to get the VFR stopped, turned around, and back to her.

:tab Fortunately, she was going pretty slow when she went off the road and landed in a BIG soft grassy spot. The bike was not ridable but she was fine. We had a few hours to sit together afterwards while waiting for the other guys to go get a truck and come back for the bike. For a long time I would really worry when we'd go riding. Ultimately though, I had to come to the conclusion that she is an adult, she still wanted to ride, that she was a good rider and that she would learn from this experience. I could not ride the bike for her. Over time, my anxiety faded.

:tab After that accident, she informed me she wanted a more sporty bike instead of her Triumph Legend (kind of a standard cruiser). She got an SV650S and then a VFR 800, both of which she really liked! She put a lot of fun miles on both of those bikes. We don't get to ride together like we used to now that we have the kids and I miss that a lot. Someday though...

Joyce, sooooo glad to hear that you are okay!

Kudos to you for getting right back on and riding all the way home. :pirate:

It is good to hear that the gear worked and you are fine. :clap:

The road was uphill and the curve was at a crest, so once I saw Joyce loosing it I immediately went to the brakes. I knew I would need to be stopped and off as soon as possible, but it seemed like it took FOREVER to bring the 'Busa to a stop. And, as we have mentioned - we just were not going all that fast - 25 mph max!

It's very hard to concentrate on braking, stopping, standing, lowering the kickstand, and getting off the bike all while watching your wife rolling across the road.

I've already told her that her throttle hand is writting checks her crusier can't cash... She rides it like a sportbike. It needs to be one.

Very true Scott, IF I had not been in gear I would not have been able to ride her home, and I'm hopeful that the guy's that helped us didn't just think "It was just a girl that went down and didn't have a clue how to handle a bike thru the corners" " I would never do that". My mistake (and I always own up to my mistakes) is that I picked the wrong line in the corner and knew it the second I did it and tried to correct. I did not fixate on anything and I did not panick, I just picked a lousey line and got bite....

I hope they got TWO lessons from you: one the value of ATGATT, and the other one, staying with the bike as much as you did (trying to lean it more after you noticed your predicament) instead of just "having to lay the bike down"...
Like Scott said, it doesn't take a lot of speed to get in trouble. Just a small mistake, a little gravel, a critter jumping in front of you, etc and bam! It's a good reminder to all of us (regardless of gender and experience level) to always be alert.
Good to hear you're already thinking about getting the bike fixed, to be honest, I don't know (and hopefully won't have to find out) how I would react after spill. It takes courage to get back on the bike and ride all the way to Katy after that.

Yikes! Bite your tongue.... Not Ride...Not Ride... I'm trying to figure out how fast I can get her fixed and ready to ride again....

Hmm...looks like someone needs to throw a leg over a certain Kawi ninja...:trust:

Joyce, glad to hear you are ok after your incident.

This just goes to prove a point................. pie can be bad for you. :lol2:

Joyce, I'm glad you're okay for the most part! You're a trooper!:clap:

Time to get rid of that meanie and get yourself something along the lines of an SV. Those things have cornering clearance for days.

Bill,
Something funny...when I was laying on the ground I was thinking "I can move my shoulder so it's not a "Biwwy crash", and I could move my legs so it was not a "Terry crash" (my brother-in-law, went down in April). So I knew I was Okey Dokey.

As far as getting myself something other than my Meanie, Sorry guy's, I love my baby, I'will really start rider her like a sport cruiser, that she is, and I really do understand the limits of my bike, now.... :rider:

I know what you mean. There is nothing scarier than seeing your wife crash. I've seen that twice now and I hope to never see it again.

Joyce, sorry to hear about your get-off, but I'm glad to hear that you are okay. That had to have been frightening knowing you were gonna smack the guardrail.

I've already told her that her throttle hand is writting checks her crusier can't cash... She rides it like a sportbike. It needs to be one.

Literally; she ran out of bike.

She is one sturdy woman to take a spill so well, and after that riding all the way home :hail:

Now, a middle weight sport bike with handle bar risers for a more standard position, givi luggage, and a aero lip on the fairing ... :trust:

Reminds me of a lady rider i met once, smooth rider on a Victory cruiser, very skilled, a pleasure to see her picking lines and such.

She encountered the need to borrow a F650 BMW, and she was absolutely and immediately in love with the nimbleness of the machine. She could ride the wheels off that Victory; but she truly enjoyed the riding on the F650.

So the apple turnover was just OK. Ask them to heat it if you order one!
Is the coffee any good?:eat:
Trade in time, something that can handle the turns a bit better? :rider:

I have a 2006 Kawaski Ninja 650R in the garage. It has the upright bars and is a perfect first sportbike. I don't ride it much now that I have the Hayabusa. I'm thinking I'll lower it a bit so she can find the ground with her feet. Then all I'll have to do is convince her to give it a try...

Yikes! Bite your tongue.... Not Ride...Not Ride... I'm trying to figure out how fast I can get her fixed and ready to ride again....

Good attitude!! I'm still waiting for my new gas tank, everything else is fixed and bike is ridable.

Hope to see you and Keith again.

Marco

I don't like it when anyone goes down, under any circumstances. I was surprised when I heard you went down; I understood before I left on Friday that you and Keith were not going. But relieved when it was reported through the TWT cell phone grapevine that you had not suffered any serious injuries.

My thoughts were with you that night.

I don't like it when anyone goes down, under any circumstances. I was surprised when I heard you went down; I understood before I left on Friday that you and Keith were not going. But relieved when it was reported through the TWT cell phone grapevine that you had not suffered any serious injuries.

My thoughts were with you that night.

Thanks, I appreciated the thoughts. Even at work my assistant thought something was up on Saturday, She messaged me to see if we did go out of town, we rarely talk on the weekends, then today she told me she just had a weird feeling about me on Saturday, so I guess you could say my Guardian Angel was looking out for me, when I was put on other peoples minds.

The tale of the tape...

$386.90 Gas Tank
$ 60.71 Footpeg Rest Left
$ 79.17 Front Fender
$ 20.90 Left Fork Guard
$ 20.90 Right Fork Guard
$ 97.07 Headlight Body
$ 40.20 Lamp Rim
$ 36.23 Left Mirror

$744.80 Total (so far)

Being able to ride again - priceless!

Happy to see that's only a new "experience" in your Biker life and nothing more...

Glad to know you're Ok.:clap:

Keith, I would never wanted to be on your choose at this time :eek2:

Take it easy and see you soon. :zen:

The tale of the tape...

$386.90 Gas Tank
$ 79.17 Front Fender
$ 20.90 Left Fork Guard
$ 20.90 Right Fork Guard
$ 97.07 Headlight Body
$ 40.20 Lamp Rim
$ 36.23 Left Mirror

$744.80 Total (so far)

Thank you for the quote....

I promise to be good...I promise to be good....:lol2:

Cross my Heart, I will really, Really, REALLY, try my very best to never do this again.

The tale of the tape...

$386.90 Gas Tank
$ 79.17 Front Fender
$ 20.90 Left Fork Guard
$ 20.90 Right Fork Guard
$ 97.07 Headlight Body
$ 40.20 Lamp Rim
$ 36.23 Left Mirror

$744.80 Total (so far)

Joy it is bigger gas tank time, unless you are getting an 650R in which case Keith I'll help you lower it.

But then again, lowering a bike also reduces it's ground clearance...hence it's cornering clearance...

Where did you get the prices? Ron Ayers will be a lot less than a local dealer for parts.

Oh, and when you get to the scene and go to give the rider a big hug, ASK FIRST if anything hurts! Yeah, silly me hugged Joyce before she told me she was a little sore in the shoulder region. :-(

Where did you get the prices? Ron Ayers will be a lot less than a local dealer for parts.
Those are from Powers Motorsports. They are suppose to be 25% off list. At any rate, the numbers are just for referrence at this point. I'll need to do more research to find the best deal and then see if Wild West (my local dealer) wants to match.

I think we may try to see if we can get the tank fixed rather than replaced. Joyce has been wanting to do a bit of customizing for a while now. Seems she has nothing to loose at this point. The dent should be removable and then we could custom paint the bike to suit her fancy.

On lowering the Ninja 650R - the idea is to cut the seat height first, then rework the rear shock, and then lower the forks if still required. Last thing I want her on is an ill handling sportbike.

Back