• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Any Rush Fans?

As a fan since 75 and veteran of 44 live shows I would be ok with Geddy and Alex touring as RUSH with "guest drummer" whoever they choose. I would kill two see them. The tribute to Taylor lit a fire in them I think. They hadn't played a RUSH song in years.

I have no idea how many times I saw them, but I saw every tour they did from the 1st through Hold Your Fire, then me touring made it harder to see them.
Last time I saw them was the Vapor Trails show here, where I left so blown away, and could not think of anything I missed being played.
One of the few 100% satisfying shows ever. Another one was Budgie, believe it or not.

As a fan since 75 and veteran of 44 live shows I would be ok with Geddy and Alex touring as RUSH with "guest drummer" whoever they choose. I would kill two see them. The tribute to Taylor lit a fire in them I think. They hadn't played a RUSH song in years.
Mike Portnoy was buds with Neil and would have probably been given the blessing and would be true to Neil's playing. Mike's back in Dream Theater now, so that's a no-go. Plenty of drummers out there up to the task. Chemistry will be key.

Love Mike's playing in the Neal Morse Band, OSI, Liquid Tension Experiment.......
He's also fantastic in Sons of Apollo and Winery Dogs. Check out SOA's "God of the Sun" and WD's "Stars" for a quick taste on YouTube. When you're as good as he is, you get to play with other monster musicians.

They really did a great job recapping their career in r30 and r40 tours. To me, if they don't return to the lighted stage, it would not be the end of the world. They took that exit stage left 9 years ago this coming August...and did it with pure class. I really need to buy more of their catalog.

My interest waned a bit in mid-catalog with Presto and such. Too much production.
Then came the gloriously UNDER-produced and loud Counterparts. Neil said he didn't like it because it was "lacking our usual spit and polish."
But that was exactly what I wanted to hear again!

He's also fantastic in Sons of Apollo and Winery Dogs. Check out SOA's "God of the Sun" and WD's "Stars" for a quick taste on YouTube. When you're as good as he is, you get to play with other monster musicians.

Some might say I'm a music dude, I'm pretty good around a camp fire playing "name that band" from the 1950s to about....1999. But I'm not a musician and don't geek out as hard on some of the finer details. But of course I know NealP. And I have a Dream Theatre CD from 30 years ago. But the point of my post....I had no idea who Sons of Apollo were. You made me look them up on Spotify just now. Not often I find "new to me" music I like these days. I don't lean towards hard metal but like a lot of instrumental runs and orchestral stuff slipped in with bands like this when they aren't screaming. I've been on some rides where all of sudden I start riding hard and my wing man knows its probably a music change in my helmet....from like John Denver The Eagle and The Hawk where I'm lazily roaming around two track lugging a gear and leisurely looking around at trees and birds.....to something like this God of the Sun where I start attacking the dirt ferociously, lifting tires, power sliding, drooling, on fire and would ride right past a naked model without noticing while in the zone. He will later ask me, what was with you/what were you listening to, you were shredding and gone. If a song like God of the Sun comes on in my helmet while in the desert, I'm either going to ride really good/fast.....or wad it up. Watch out!! Thanks for posting!!!! Supergroups are fun, once you stumble onto them.

1702047041985.png

Supergroups are fun, once you stumble onto them.

View attachment 370179
Psychotic Symphony is my album of the year for my collection. Everything I used to like about early Dream Theater without the falsetto vocals and way overdone tedious back and forth fretboard and keyboard wank fest that the guitar and keyboardest do ever since Jordan Rudess joined the band.

Not all supergroups are a good idea. Way too many of them clash with their egos and reputations or they over do their parts because the think that's what's expected of them rather than making the song the priority.

SOA has one of the best singers in th biz and also travels with the Trans Siberian Orchestra each year and the other musicians are considered among the best as well. It's refreshing. The keyboard player is ex-Dream Theater and while I'm not a player, I like how he uses old school analog modualr sythesizers for some of the coolest keyboard voices like Keith Emerson used to do.

The bassist and drummer are also in the 3 piece Winery Dogs and will likely appeal more to you because of the music style. The singer/guitar player's voice might be more to your liking and the guy has some tasty chops, stellar for a finger style player in the rock realm, he's like a modern Lindsey Buckingham. Their 2023 album is also high on my 2023 abum list.

Last edited:
Not all supergroups are a good idea. Way too many of them clash with their egos and reputations or they over do their parts because the think that's what's expected of them rather than making the song the priority.

I didn't care for Flying Colors. It sounded like ego wanking to me.

The bassist and drummer are also in the 3 piece Winery Dogs

Billy freeking Sheehan!! If you don't know Niacin, you must find some.

First time Ive heard anyone else mention OSI or Liquid Tension....veeeery interesting bands...

Yessir! I actually got a very quick handshake from Tony Levin long ago. I touched greatness.

Sons of Apollo. God of the Sun.

OOOOOO!!!! This is a MUST have!!!

Not all supergroups are a good idea.

Back to this for a moment.

I saw Joe Bonamassa three times in a row before I kinda got tired of the nearly same exact show, like Trans-Siberian Orchestra. When Black Country Communion came out, I was like WOWZERS!!!! Massive egos onstage, especially Glen Hughes, but they CLICKED!! I flew to LA just to see one of their two US shows before they imploded, and it was dynamite! Bonamassa unencumbered by his own catalog was a whole new monster.

Sometimes it works. Well.

Drove to Poplar Creek IL in '84 to see the Three of a Perfect Pair tour. I have an audience boot of it.
Love me some John Wetton, but the Levin/Bruford/Belew era was pretty epic.

My first concert was the Rush Hemispheres tour in 1979 - At the Summit which is now Lakewood Church. Amazing band and here is their latest….

Here was the warm up band - Golden Earring

Last edited:
My first concert was the Rush Hemispheres tour in 1979 - At the Summit which is now Lakewood Church. Amazing band and here is their latest….

Here was the warm up band - Golden Earring

They were the warm up band when I saw them at the Summit in '83 as well for the Subdivisions tour.

Jethro Tull was one of the bands I saw in the very early 70's that made me realize I couldn't play as well as I thought I could.

If you like Rush, King Crimson, and Jethro Tull you might like the newer albums by Opeth. They began as a death metal band and transformed into a 70’s progressive rock band. Their song structure, musicianship, and riff-heavy style are very similar to these other bands. I particularly like the Sorceress and In Cauda Venenum albums, but Heritage is one that you might prefer more.

The earlier stuff is incredible, but I will let you discover that on your own.

Back