• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Any Rush Fans?

Classify that. Rock jazz prog wth?
When it comes to food, the fusion of cultures doesn't do a thing for me, it all just turns out weird or confused tasting or mouth feel. But the fusion of music styles or adding in non-traditional rock instruments has created volumes of magic the past 60 years.

Saw them once when I lived in the UK in the 80s. Notty is such a goofball on stage. The whole band is pretty animated and fun to watch.

They played Des Moines to my surprise in the day. I was really into them, and got up front with SLADE written on my knuckles and last letter on the end of my thumb. Noddy and Dave Hill saw that and looked surprised and pointed me out. That was cool. Yes, the show was pretty wild and a ton of fun.
Dave Hill wins the worst haircut of all times award.

But the fusion of music styles or adding in non-traditional rock instruments has created volumes of magic the past 60 years.

Deliciousagony has been playing very alternate versions of Christmas and holiday music, which I usually find tedious, but was enjoying this time. Thankfully, there was little TSO that's been played to death, and a lot of surprises. A couple by Sarah MacLaughlin (sp?) were really excellent. I knew Jethro Tull had a Christmas album, but don't think I'd heard any before. It's quite good stuff.

The pivotal album for me was Miles Davis ******* Brew. That scrambled my brain at a young age, and I'm thankful for that. An unbelievable cauldron of styles and improv tossed in the brew.

Miles & Miles....& Miles
My exposure to his stuff was generally thru listening to KERA 90.1 back in the late 80s & early 90s. There were several very knowledgeable djs on air at that time. Chris Douridas... Dennis Gonzales (who was also a musician) & ...Craig Shropshire. It was those folks who had an uncanny way of blending different musical genres together.....jazz...blues...prog...folk...
I still have tapes of their shows on 90.1
Sadly...the station reverted to a news format later in the 1990s
Early 2000s I briefly listened to an Austin station that played very inventive stuff.
DJ Food...AmonTobin...Buckethead... Banco de Gaia
Since about 2003-4 ..Ive been listening to WMSE 91.7 on their stream. Wide variety of shows to choose from....& a very deep archive of old shows 24/7
Still listen to KNON 89.3 in Dallas for even more variety (whatever happened to Music By The Book by the guys from Half Price Books?)
Lately Ive also been tuning in to 90.5 Stephenville Tarelton radio. Their Beatles & Beyond is a nice listen.

Miles & Miles....& Miles
My exposure to his stuff was generally thru listening to KERA 90.1 back in the late 80s & early 90s. There were several very knowledgeable djs on air at that time. Chris Douridas... Dennis Gonzales (who was also a musician) & ...Craig Shropshire. It was those folks who had an uncanny way of blending different musical genres together.....jazz...blues...prog...folk...
I still have tapes of their shows on 90.1
Sadly...the station reverted to a news format later in the 1990s
Early 2000s I briefly listened to an Austin station that played very inventive stuff.
DJ Food...AmonTobin...Buckethead... Banco de Gaia
Since about 2003-4 ..Ive been listening to WMSE 91.7 on their stream. Wide variety of shows to choose from....& a very deep archive of old shows 24/7
Still listen to KNON 89.3 in Dallas for even more variety (whatever happened to Music By The Book by the guys from Half Price Books?)
Lately Ive also been tuning in to 90.5 Stephenville Tarelton radio. Their Beatles & Beyond is a nice listen.
yeah, I used to have a tape of their coverage of SRV's passing. A mix of music and updates. I also listen to 95.3 in NE Dallas for some alternative country. Unfortunately, their signal is not the strongest.

Adios Tom. Thanks for lots of laughs and silly music. Think I still have this album.

I wasn't expecting an old post of mine to pop up 16 years later :shock:

But to add to the thread. I did get to attend the 40 year concert tour at American Airlines Center. It was a present from my wife, who attended her first Rush concert after hearing me go ad nauseum about them for years. She did notice the lack of female attendees, something that I told her was a Rush thing and something they make fun of in this video.

A good friend, a huge Rush fan, attended Geddy's book signing in L.A. He sent me a copy of the book and a very cool t-shirt.

Last edited:
I wasn't expecting an old post of mine to pop up 16 years later :shock:

But to add to the thread. I did get to attend the 40 year concert tour at American Airlines Center. It was a present from my wife, who attended her first Rush concert after hearing me go ad nauseum about them for years. She did notice the lack of female attendees, something that I told her was a Rush thing and something they make fun of in this video.

A good friend, a huge Rush fan, attended Geddy's book signing in L.A. He sent me a copy of the book and a very cool t-shirt.
I found it, like a Brilliant Red Barchetta.

My uncle has a country place
That no one knows about
He says it used to be a farm
Before the Motor Law
And on Sundays I elude the eyes
And hop the Turbine Freight
To far outside the Wire
Where my white-haired uncle waits
Jump to the ground
As the Turbo slows to cross the borderline
Run like the wind
As excitement shivers up and down my spine
Down in his barn
My uncle preserved for me an old machine
For fifty odd years

To keep it as new has been his dearest dream
I strip away the old debris
That hides a shining car
A brilliant red Barchetta
From a better vanished time
I fire up the willing engine
Responding with a roar
Tires spitting gravel
I commit my weekly crime
Wind
In my hair
Shifting and drifting
Mechanical music
Adrenaline surge
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware
Suddenly ahead of me
Across the mountainside
A gleaming alloy air car
Shoots towards me, two lanes wide
I spin around with shrieking tires
To run the deadly race
Go screaming through the valley
As another joins the chase
Drive like the wind
Straining the limits of machine and man
Laughing out loud with fear and hope
I've got a desperate plan
At the one-lane bridge
I leave the giants stranded at the riverside
Race back to the farm
To dream with my uncle at the fireside

Songwriters: Alex Lifeson / Neil Peart / Geddy Lee Weinrib

It's fun to look back on this thread 17 years later and realize I STILL LOVE RUSH AS MUCH AS I EVER DID. :rider:

RISEANCIENTTHREAD.jpg

It's fun to look back on this thread 17 years later and realize I STILL LOVE RUSH AS MUCH AS I EVER DID. :rider:

Yes it is. I went to every concert Starting with Power Windows only missing Counterparts and Test For Echo all the way until the end. Many shows I saw more than once in different venues. Never made it Red Rocks to see them which was one I regret.

So many great songs. If I had to choose one, it would be "Witch Hunt".

The night is black
Without a moon
The air is thick and still
The vigilantes gather on
The lonely torchlit hill

Features distorted in the flickering light
The faces are twisted and grotesque
Silent and stern in the sweltering night
The mob moves like demons possessed
Quiet in conscience, calm in their right
Confident their ways are best

The righteous rise
With burning eyes
Of hatred and ill-will
Madmen fed on fear and lies
To beat, and burn, and kill

They say there are strangers, who threaten us
In our immigrants and infidels
They say there is strangeness, too dangerous
In our theatres and bookstore shelves
That those who know what’s best for us –
Must rise and save us from ourselves

Quick to judge,
Quick to anger
Slow to understand
Ignorance and prejudice
And fear
Walk hand in hand

I found it, like a Brilliant Red Barchetta.

My uncle has a country place
That no one knows about
He says it used to be a farm
Before the Motor Law
And on Sundays I elude the eyes
And hop the Turbine Freight
To far outside the Wire
Where my white-haired uncle waits
Jump to the ground
As the Turbo slows to cross the borderline
Run like the wind
As excitement shivers up and down my spine
Down in his barn
My uncle preserved for me an old machine
For fifty odd years

To keep it as new has been his dearest dream
I strip away the old debris
That hides a shining car
A brilliant red Barchetta
From a better vanished time
I fire up the willing engine
Responding with a roar
Tires spitting gravel
I commit my weekly crime
Wind
In my hair
Shifting and drifting
Mechanical music
Adrenaline surge
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware
Suddenly ahead of me
Across the mountainside
A gleaming alloy air car
Shoots towards me, two lanes wide
I spin around with shrieking tires
To run the deadly race
Go screaming through the valley
As another joins the chase
Drive like the wind
Straining the limits of machine and man
Laughing out loud with fear and hope
I've got a desperate plan
At the one-lane bridge
I leave the giants stranded at the riverside
Race back to the farm
To dream with my uncle at the fireside

Songwriters: Alex Lifeson / Neil Peart / Geddy Lee Weinrib
1704241850373.png

Here's an AI composition of the Red Barchetta, 😄

Conversation with Bard...Write a story that includes:​

My uncle has a country placeThat no one knows aboutHe says it used to be a farmBefore the Motor LawAnd on Sundays I elude the eyesAnd hop the Turbine FreightTo far outside the WireWhere my white-haired uncle waitsJump to the groundAs the Turbo slows to cross the borderlineRun like the windAs excitement shivers up and down my spineDown in his barnMy uncle preserved for me an old machineFor fifty odd yearsTo keep it as new has been his dearest dreamI strip away the old debrisThat hides a shining carA brilliant red BarchettaFrom a better vanished timeI fire up the willing engineResponding with a roarTires spitting gravelI commit my weekly crimeWindIn my hairShifting and driftingMechanical musicAdrenaline surgeWell-weathered leatherHot metal and oilThe scented country airSunlight on chromeThe blur of the landscapeEvery nerve awareSuddenly ahead of meAcross the mountainsideA gleaming alloy air carShoots towards me, two lanes wideI spin around with shrieking tiresTo run the deadly raceGo screaming through the valleyAs another joins the chaseDrive like the windStraining the limits of machine and manLaughing out loud with fear and hopeI've got a desperate planAt the one-lane bridgeI leave the giants stranded at the riversideRace back to the farmTo dream with my uncle at the fireside​

sparkle_resting_v2_darkmode_2bdb7df2724e450073ede.gif

Dust swirled crimson in the dying sun as I vaulted from the Turbine Freight, feet pounding the parched earth. The Wire hummed in the distance, its silver tendrils slicing through the wheat fields a mile south. I was late, adrenaline gnawing at my gut.
Behind me, the roar of the Turbine faded, replaced by the rhythmic thrumming of wings. The Skycops, silent predators, circled on thermals, casting fleeting shadows on my frantic sprint. But I knew these fields, every dip and furrow, every whispering gust of wind. I darted left, then right, a blur of khaki against the fading gold.
Reaching the copse of ancient oaks, I dove through the gnarled limbs, emerging on the other side breathless, but free. Here, the Wire's dominion ended, replaced by the whispering secrets of the Old World.
Grandpa Silas was a ghost here, his farmhouse swallowed by the whispering fields. But I knew its heart, the weathered barn hiddeeyond the crumbling silo. His sanctuary, and mine.
Inside, cobwebs draped over sunbeams that slanted through dusty rafters. My heart echoed the creak of the barn door as I pushed it open. Then, there she was.
The Red Barchetta. Sunbeams kissed her fiery curves, painting the hay dust with shimmering sparks. For fifty years, Grandpa Silas had kept her hidden, a forbidden dream in a world choked by the Motor Law.
Gently, I peeled away the canvas shroud, the scent of oil and leather rising like a forgotten prayer. My fingers traced the smooth grain of mahogany, the worn leather seat cradling me like a long-lost friend.
With a twist of the key, the engine coughed, spluttered, then roared to life. The Barchetta vibrated, a beast yearning for the open road. I slid into the seat, the familiar thrumming a lullaby for a forbidden freedom.
Gravel spat beneath my tires as I tore through the fields, the world blurring into a tapestry of gold and green. The Skycops shrieked above, angry bees chasing a rogue flower. But the wind sang in my ears, drowning out their metallic cries.
Then, on the horizon, a flash of silver. The Roadhounds, sleek sentinels of the Motor Law. My fear was a delicious tang on my tongue, a spice to this symphony of speed.
But fear was fuel. I squeezed the Barchetta, pushing her beyond her limits. She dipped and danced, every curve a defiance against the tyranny of steel and wires.
Ahead, the one-lane bridge, a rusty ribbon over a roaring river. The Roadhounds hesitated, their bulk ill-suited for the narrow passage. I didn't.
The bridge groaned under my wheels, the river a dizzying blur beneath me. But I made it, tires screaming on the opposite bank as the Roadhounds screeched to a halt, trapped, their metallic snarl choked by the rushing water.
The sun dipped below the horizon, painting the sky in fiery hues as I raced back to the farm. Grandpa Silas waited by the barn door, his weathered face etched with pride and relief. We sat by the fire that night, the embers reflecting in his eyes like distant stars.
The Barchetta hummed in the barn, a sleeping dragon dreaming of the next stolen dawn. And I knew, as long as this hidden place existed, as long as Grandpa Silas and the Red Barchetta were mine, freedom would dance just beyond the Wire, waiting to be chased.

Last edited:
Aw, man!!! I didn't know Burke Shelley had passed!!! Doesn't fit here? They influenced everyone.
So glad I saw them a few times. Super simple stripped down rock and roll. A lost art.
I played Budgie loud and often, especially if it annoyed someone that didn't get it.

I remember seeing that, reading A Nice Morning Drive and realizing it wasn't the police the Barchetta was running from.

Song really hit the mark when I walked away from a freeway speed accident where a truck hit me resulting in my Q5 TD imitating a pinball on I10.

The Q5 fit exactly fits the A Nice Morning Drive MSV's description:
- Q5 was porky 4500 lb (200lb more than my 76 F350 w/460)
- I survived a multi-car freeway-speed accident with nothing more than a sore back.

I then realized modern cars ARE the MSV the Barchetta was running from

You can see from the excerpts below why a motorcyclist would be drawn to the story.

1704651973494.png

1704651991367.png

Last edited:
Late nite u tubing resulted in a virtual pleathora of prog ..& other classics last nite.
More Crimson to Genesis..Rush..Yes...Tull... Traffic...Its a Beautiful Day...Praxis...Chicago Transit Authority..The Byrds....Focus.......
1:30am ....time ta drift.....

Late nite u tubing resulted in a virtual pleathora of prog ..& other classics last nite.
More Crimson to Genesis..Rush..Yes...Tull... Traffic...Its a Beautiful Day...Praxis...Chicago Transit Authority..The Byrds....Focus.......
1:30am ....time ta drift.....
Agreed, lots now posted to you tube, amazing what you can find

Back