• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Any Rush Fans?

If you like Rush, King Crimson, and Jethro Tull you might like the newer albums by Opeth. They began as a death metal band and transformed into a 70’s progressive rock band. Their song structure, musicianship, and riff-heavy style are very similar to these other bands. I particularly like the Sorceress and In Cauda Venenum albums, but Heritage is one that you might prefer more.

The earlier stuff is incredible, but I will let you discover that on your own.
I haven't given Opeth a 2nd thought as their music isn't my cup of tea. But my info is very old. At what point (album) did they make this transition to 70s prog? I'll look into that.

Typically I resign myself to YT for digging up old and very obscure prog albums from the 80s, none of which I can remember. It turns out there's thousands of 70s local prog bands that made a record, just 1 record and at the minimum number of copies they could buy. 1 record... for good reason. But occasionally I find one with a flash of brilliance, even if it's only 1 song. They may have only sold 100 or 250 copies in their life and it's cool that someone ripped it and posted it to YT. I'm sure some of these bands made it into "Prog" magazine back in the 70s mainly because the mag had pages that needed to be filled with something. If YT existed 50 years ago and we had the home recording tech we have now, imagine how many local bands from all over we'd find and how many fans they have. Even a no talent Miley Cyrus look alike like Justin Bieber found fame through YT when he didn't deserve it based on zero talent and inability to sing in key.

I haven't given Opeth a 2nd thought as their music isn't my cup of tea. But my info is very old. At what point (album) did they make this transition to 70s prog? I'll look into that.

Here’s a few to try, one from each of their prog rock albums. If they whet your appetite, then I would recommend any album from Heritage (2011) on to present. Some of their earlier stuff included smooth melodic elements with the nightmarish metal, but you would need to develop your own personal taste for determining what you like and don’t.

Opeth - Heritage (2011) - The Devil’s Orchard

Opeth - Pale Communion (2014) - River

Opeth - Sorceress (2016) - Will O the Wisp

Opeth - In Cauda Venenum (2019) - Dignity

I still contend that Blackwater Park is their crown jewel. As a piece of music, it is perfect. The growling vocals throw many off but if you let the song develop you’ll discover so many layers and movements and subtleties, that it will have you listening to it again.

Hijack over

The earlier stuff is incredible, but I will let you discover that on your own.
I have a theory about many folks "earlier stuff" being incredible. I think young minds are less constrained with societal pressures/norms. Beyond that, they then get shrink wrapped. Moving on they get damaged from the excesses of life (and partying) and lose the creativeness that was present. Just a theory.

I have a theory about many folks "earlier stuff" being incredible. I think young minds are less constrained with societal pressures/norms. Beyond that, they then get shrink wrapped. Moving on they get damaged from the excesses of life (and partying) and lose the creativeness that was present. Just a theory.

Hard to create with the same hunger when you have a full belly

And now, hurtling through the wormhole of weird, I bring you an uber-important prog statement from 1969. This rocks it's butt off!!!

Those last two are more to my taste...
The Wobbler especially.
But....
We're kinda hurtling off track on this Rush thread
Mabe we should transfer non Rush posts to the Music n Motorcycles thread....?

Or do we need a Prog Synphonic thread??

Here’s a few to try, one from each of their prog rock albums. If they whet your appetite, then I would recommend any album from Heritage (2011) on to present. Some of their earlier stuff included smooth melodic elements with the nightmarish metal, but you would need to develop your own personal taste for determining what you like and don’t.

Opeth - Heritage (2011) - The Devil’s Orchard

Opeth - Pale Communion (2014) - River

Opeth - Sorceress (2016) - Will O the Wisp

Opeth - In Cauda Venenum (2019) - Dignity

I still contend that Blackwater Park is their crown jewel. As a piece of music, it is perfect. The growling vocals throw many off but if you let the song develop you’ll discover so many layers and movements and subtleties, that it will have you listening to it again.

Hijack over
first song listed reminds me of Rick Wakeman, as do the follow on postings.

We're kinda hurtling off track on this Rush thread
Mabe we should transfer non Rush posts to the Music n Motorcycles thread....?

Or do we need a Prog Synphonic thread??

LOL!! I forgot where we were!! Pretty sure Rush would approve. Another thread would have to be in Off Topic, and few go there anymore.

All part of the conversation.

I'm an old fart, as far as Opeth...good "" musicality", but the drift off into the 2000's guttural screaming trend that so many metal bands turned to... Just doesn't do it for me.

metal music, the art of the sound of breaking glass, can be tricky.

All part of the conversation.

I'm an old fart, as far as Opeth...good "" musicality", but the drift off into the 2000's guttural screaming trend that so many metal bands turned to... Just doesn't do it for me.

metal music, the art of the sound of breaking glass, can be tricky.
I thought the same thing.
As soon as that started, I was done.

I can't stand cookie monster vocals. But if the music is compelling, sometimes I'll hang out.

It’s their call of course, but I’d have mixed feelings if they resume as Rush without NP. I’d attend the shows anyway.

I miss the Rush Fans in Texas (RFIT) group. Did anyone here attend their meetups?

I've mentioned this elsewhere before, but I listen to https://deliciousagony.com/
They play a remarkably wide array of prog, a lot of which I'd never heard before, which is cool.
Discovered a lot of new (to me) music I'd likely not have heard otherwise.
Always write down stuff I wanna hear more of.

Back