• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Any Rush Fans?

I can't imagine being ditched by a band about to go huge, but Rutsey was Type 1 diabetic and really didn't want to tour.
Someone in Rush management has maintained Rush would not have happened without Rutsey, a rehearsaholic.

But it worked out pretty well.

Interesting, Geddy has a star of David on. Born of Holocaust survivors, he says he likes the Jewish culture, but is an atheist.
Fascinating interview.

I can't imagine being ditched by a band about to go huge, but Rutsey was Type 1 diabetic and really didn't want to tour.
Someone in Rush management has maintained Rush would not have happened without Rutsey, a rehearsaholic.

Type 1 ,30+ years here. Hard life as it is, much less trying to live like a rock star. ****, you've seen it and lived that culture too. Approaches the unreal.

So it has been on my 'reading list' for a while, and with my 22 hour flight (each way) to India last month, I decided to take Ghost Rider with me. Excellent book... so good that by day 2 in India I had finished it. I gave it to one my colleagues there who is a huge motorcycle rider. I then had to find something else to read on the way home. But it also got me to thinking that if I had a Kindle I could have a few books ready and not have to go find something else... and Christmas is a great time to buy yourself gifts. So I picked up a Kindle and purchased a few books (including one's I had in paperback already). One of the suggested titles was Geddy's new memoir 'My Effin' Life'... It was a great read and truth be told, I like Rush, but I've never been a super fan. My history with Rush is one where I loved 2112 when it came out, all the potheads in high school were listening to it and I loved it (still do). But then an event happened that changed my musical taste forever, I saw the Clash at the Armadillo with Joe Ely and the Skunks, then The Police a few weeks later at the old Auditorium... that was it, I was hooked on punk/new wave and Rush took a back seat. I recall when Moving Pictures came out, kids at school cranking up Tom Sawyer and Red Barchetta but I was firmly dead set against really liking it... although for whatever reason, Limelight really appealed to me still. Regardless, Rush just never became a band I was a super fan of... I would buy the occasional CD (Hold Your Fire, Presto), but that was it. Geddy's book and Neal's book however have me digging into the Rush catalog and I do have to say, I'll never be that super fan, but I certainly hold a much better opinion of them now than I did. If you can I urge folks to read both books, they are certainly worth your time.

Last edited:
My mom loves her Kindle reader. The past 10 years or so, she goes through about 5-6 books each week so she's gotten her money's worth out of it and not amassed a pile of paper she'll never look at again. I find the reader much easier on the eyes than the full color Fire LCD screens.

As for Ghost rider, there's a sequel to it, can't recall the name but should be easy to find by author. I've had G.R. for 15 years I guess and might have read 2 chapters. I need to get back to it and start over. I just got busy and I'm a slow reader and my eyes get boggled up after a couple pages. But I also did the same thing with Stephen King and the Dark Tower series. The books all came so far apart that by the time book 7 came out, I bought it but never read it because other things got in the way.

. I would buy the occasional CD (Hold Your Fire, Presto), but that was it.

They had started to lose me in that period, the songs were just too overproduced for me. Then came Counterparts, which Neil apparently said he wasn't happy with it as it "lacked our usual spit and polish." But that's just what it needed, and is raw and loud and built for speed.

They had started to lose me in that period, the songs were just too overproduced for me. Then came Counterparts, which Neil apparently said he wasn't happy with it as it "lacked our usual spit and polish." But that's just what it needed, and is raw and loud and built for speed.

My story exactly. I've said a million times that Counterparts is the album that brought me back in the fold with all my might. Well I never really left when they wandered into the synthy years, I still bought the records and always found at least a song or two I could connect with. And never miss a tour, always multiple shows if possible (44 in total). But yeah, after Counterparts the boys were back in full swing. I think Clockwork Angels their last album had been their best work.

1705459033268.jpeg

As Counterparts made me stand up and cheer, Vapor Trails knocked me on my ***. Not only was it very loud, there were NO keyboards whatsoever! Sure, I love a lot of Rush with the keys, but after the long pause for tragedy, it was a blaring statement that Rush was very much alive and here's drums bass guitar in your FACE! I had back of the seating rows tickets at the shed here, and realized that would not do, so I bought scalper tickets for subscriber box seats, and it was worth double what I paid. I'm not sure my girlfriend (still friend after 35 years) got it, but that's chicks and Rush, I guess. lol. They played over 3 hours, and when it was over, I wasn't disappointed one bit. I couldn't imagine any other song I wanted to hear that they didn't play. The most triumphant return I have ever seen.

The other two tickets I had, well there was a guy and a girl, pretty young, standing near the gates begging for spare tickets as it was sold out. I walked up to them and handed them my two spares. He pulled out some cash, and I asked them if they'd seen the band before. They said no, and I said put the cash away. I've seen them since '75 and here's a gift you'll really enjoy. They both burst into tears and wouldn't stop hugging me so I could get inside, lol. That was cool.

In the late 90’s/ early 2000’s I would drive/ ride to the Dallas Starplex Pavilion, purchase a lawn seat at the ticket booth, and then lay out
and exult in Rush for the next several hours. I last did that in 2007 when I began this thread. Then Rush had its resurgence and those days ended. I didn’t mind, I was so glad the band had finally been “discovered” and more, younger, fans were hearing the incredible musicianship, song writing, and live performances that Rush had provided for years it’s long-time fans.

Another paradigm shift moment in bands history came to me today for Yes.

But also before that was my beloved Blue Oyster Cult. Those first three albums rewrote my musical DNA forever, then came the highly crafted and beloved albums, but then...... MIRRORS!! Or as I called it, Errors. WTH is this crapola??? I signed off, but later heard Revolution By Night and Cultasarus Erectus and felt much better. Then came the day ('85) I was laying in a bed at the Hawaiian Royale Motel in El Paso with a Level 9 hangover, out with the bar band from Iowa playing at Saso's, and on MTV comes a song. Hey..... I know this playing. It was BOC and Dancing in the Ruins from Club Ninja, an apparently widely hated album by fans. I got up and took off in the bands gear truck, headed to a Blockbuster for the cassette, then a pawn shop for a Walkman (still have both) and the Radio Shack for headphones. My band is back!!

So back to Yes, who somewhat like Rush had gotten overproduced and kinda sappy, and I kinda left their orbit. Then like a bolt from the blue comes Drama!! My record shop dude told me Yes hired the Buggles and made an album. I thought it was the end of days, but he handed me a copy and said play it and pay for it if I liked it. I put it on and out came this......

I about crapped my pants!! This was the most exciting Yes thing since Patrick Moraz came on and did Relayer and the Gates of Delirium!! The entire album is alive with power and gloriously underproduced. Yes!! The shock of the other members that this could have happened saved the band and created the most excellent 90125. God, I love music!!!

The last band I played in as life in Iowa was disintegrating gave this a shot. We never played live, but we did a decent raw version of it.
One of the weak parts was me needing to sing AND do Squire bass parts. I could do the parts ok, but sing at the same time?? Marginal!!

Thanks for posting, gonna watch it.
I watched it again last night after I posted it, and realized that when Geddy did this interview, he knew of Neil's diagnosis (but not sure if the prognosis was known yet), so when asked about touring again, his answer now makes a lot more sense, but you can see the look in his face and how he kind of deflects the answer and makes him a bit uncomfortable.

I still remember listening to Signals the first time and being floored by that one-two punch of Subdivisions and The Analog Kid back to back. Both are still in my top ten.

I still remember listening to Signals the first time and being floored by that one-two punch of Subdivisions and The Analog Kid back to back. Both are still in my top ten.

When the Signals tour came to Des Moines, the album wasn't even out yet! We were kinda miffed at that, the realized we were going to see a new album we hadn't heard a note of! The three of us dined on tiny pieces of paper and off we went. Signals remains as one of the clearest of old show memories as we were so far beyond blown away, the other one being 2112. Signals is the first show I can *recall* that had video on a round screen behind Neil.

For tech nerds, the projector I saw in the balcony at the back of the arena was an Eidaphor. Crazy technology back then!

eidophor_front-498035356.jpg

There is a live version of Subdivisions (I think from R30 Live) that I just love.
The keyboard intro on it sounds amazing, and something about the whole song just sounds great.

And they followed that up with Grace Under Pressure!!! Distant Early Warning was devastating live!! Afterimage! Red Sector A!

I remember the jolt I got when watching the recent Geddy interview, talking about his parents being holocaust survivors I realized the song was written with some first person accounts and that made it even more powerful. Ben Mink is also of survivor parents. He was with a fun Canadian band called FM and also has a tasty solo called Foreign Exchange. I still have the vinyl. Ben plays electric violin on a couple Rush songs.

Back