• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Triumph Speed 400 and Scrambler 400 X

If Triumph wants to sell a lot of these bikes (as they should), the bikes will be slightly less than $6,000. A BMW G310GS is $5,700 msrp.

Man, they really do look good. And it sure looks like a lot of that footage was shot on the Twisted Sisters or other CenTX back roads, along with what is obviously American Southwest terrain for the off-road shots. The highway bridge they keep showing looks familiar to me too, but I can't place it exactly.

Interesting tire sizing. Both of my Triumphs stock have 130/80 rear tire and I've crammed a 150/70 onto the Bonnie (like a "Speed Twin 900"), but these bikes have stock a 150/60 on the "Speed" and a 140/80 on the Scrambler. Must have a 4" or 4.25" rear wheel, compared with the 3.5s on the air cooled 900s. Also, the "Speed Twin 900" has a 100/90-18 front wheel/tire, and the new 400 has a sportier 110/70-17 like the air-cooled Bonnevilles. With the bigger rubber and lighter weight, I expect these guys to really handle well.

I'm not giving up my beloved air-cooled Triumphs, but if I had to replace them both, I would likely get a Speed Twin ("1200") to replace the SE, and I think this Scrambler 400 may very well find its way in place of my newly acquired Scrambler. It's over 100 lb lighter and has nearly as much power and torque with less than half the displacement, along with ABS, EFI, all you could ask for.

Huge gallery with pics of accessories. Triumph did their homework on the bike.

This gallery is for the Speed 400. Different accessories are shown at the bottom.

Couple of pics from the London launch party

FzqoSfRacAEMMzz?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg

FzqorN8agAENNc8?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg

I think a lot of KTM 390 and Royal Enfield single buyers will be checking them out. I like the red one but they got the insignia on the tank crocked.
Will they be in the USSA in January 2024?

I always liked Triumphs slim non intrusive radiators. Gore tex you should be a paid bike reviewer. Any ideal what the price will be in USA?
Is the car under motor or in the muffler?

Last edited:
Kinda liked this review, even though we might never get a Morini.
Liked the fact its the only scrambler that has twin brakes up front.

but for the sake of being fair here’s one on the Triumph as well.

I think a lot of KTM 390 and Royal Enfield single buyers will be checking them out. I like the red one but they got the insignia on the tank crocked.
Will they be in the USSA in January 2024?
Triumph website says so but who knows?

One Indian website said the bike was going to be launched on July 5 with deliveries of bikes (I think they preorder in India) starting in early August. I'm sure the bike will be presented at the Euro motorcycle shows in the Fall. January seems doable to me.

I always liked Triumphs slim non intrusive radiators. Gore tex you should be a paid bike reviewer. Any ideal what the price will be in USA?
Is the car under motor or in the muffler?
Hahaha! Thanks!

No idea about pricing.

A BMW G310GS retails at $5,700. A Kawasaki Versus-X 300 with ABS retails at $6,200. The Kawi makes 40 HP but has a parallel twin. Triumph talks about a premium product. Maybe $5,990 for the Speed and $6,390 for the Scrambler? Triumph should try and keep the price under $6,500 IMO.

According to the video Aprilia will also be throwing its hat into the scrambler ring.
Wonder what numbers they’ll be talking about for their models.

According to the video Aprilia will also be throwing its hat into the scrambler ring.
Wonder what numbers they’ll be talking about for their models.
I like at least a 500 cc with 45 hp minimum. A tame 650 is nice and mine has just 40hp amf 47 ft-lb torque. It is just too tall for me as I age and it does too,
Think Triumph 400 scrambler has 39.5 hp with 27.7 torque FI which I like. I like the 6 speed but dislike the exhaust. Does anyone know where the catalytic converter is on the 400? Hope it is under motor so pipe and muffler can be changed legal and easy. They won't have to say for off road use only for aftermarket exhaust.

Does anyone know where the catalytic converter is on the 400? Hope it is under motor so pipe and muffler can be changed legal and easy. They won't have to say for off road use only for aftermarket exhaust.

Nobody really knows yet, but if they are anything like Triumph's other models over the past 20 years and if the info in the video I watched is accurate, then the Street and Scrambler share the same frame and engine. So you would likely be able to swap the stock Street exhaust onto the Scrambler, or put any full Street exhaust aftermarket system onto a Scrambler. No aftermarket systems are going to have a catalytic converter, though. I don't know that they are typically off-road use only in the USA... Even Triumph's louder silencers are called "TORS", "Triumph Off Road System". It's because changing any component violates the Euro emissions rules.

A reviewer mentioned possible pricing around 6,500 euros for the Speed and right under 7,000 euros for the Scrambler. He said those numbers were unofficial.

Nobody really knows yet, but if they are anything like Triumph's other models over the past 20 years and if the info in the video I watched is accurate, then the Street and Scrambler share the same frame and engine. So you would likely be able to swap the stock Street exhaust onto the Scrambler, or put any full Street exhaust aftermarket system onto a Scrambler. No aftermarket systems are going to have a catalytic converter, though. I don't know that they are typically off-road use only in the USA... Even Triumph's louder silencers are called "TORS", "Triumph Off Road System". It's because changing any component violates the Euro emissions rules.
My Royal Enfield from India had the catalytic converter in the muffler. It was discolored before I got it home. The muffler was heavy, I swiped it. I like the ones underneath on some bikes but it seems it would be easy to catch dried grass on fire. They disclaimer for off road use just to get around the EPA/ law. Most are used on public roads. With no more inspections it makes it easier.
I think we will see a law comming that says you have to have a exhaust analisis test to sell a used car and maybe motorcycle. $$$

A reviewer mentioned possible pricing around 6,500 euros for the Speed and right under 7,000 euros for the Scrambler. He said those numbers were unofficial.
7000 euros = 7600 usd. add another grand plus for freight and assembly and it is getting up there..

7000 euros = 7600 usd. add another grand plus for freight and assembly and it is getting up there..
That's not really how it works. A Trident 660 retails at $8,595 and costs 8,695 euros OTD. So I can see the Speed 400's msrp being around $6,500 and the Scrambler's msrp being about $7,000. That is a lot of money once you factor in tax, title, license at the minimum plus some BS fees because the bike will be in high demand(?).

That's not really how it works. A Trident 660 retails at $8,595 and costs 8,695 euros OTD. So I can see the Speed 400's msrp being around $6,500 and the Scrambler's msrp being about $7,000. That is a lot of money once you factor in tax, title, license at the minimum plus some BS fees because the bike will be in high demand(?).
So what do you figure out the door. Is assembly and freight still 500 each? We all pat tax so no problem there. So maybe 8200. Plus tax. There is a lot of competition. By adding another grand. Maybe I don't get it 😔

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230629-165508.png
    Screenshot_20230629-165508.png
    137.7 KB · Views: 43
So it will be 6500 and 7000 usd also. I hope so. It will be more competitive financially.

So what do you figure out the door. Is assembly and freight still 500 each? We all pat tax so no problem there. So maybe 8200. Plus tax. There is a lot of competition. By adding another grand. Maybe I don't get it 😔

So it will be 6500 and 7000 usd also. I hope so. It will be more competitive financially.

My SCL500 retails at $6,800 (plus $600 in shipping). No traction control, no switchable ABS on the SCL500 but Honda quality and reliability. Plus it's a twin cylinder and it's 471 cc against 398 cc for the Triumph. The Triumph weighs 395 pounds and the Honda weighs 419 pounds.

While I acknowledge that Triumph is more premium than Honda, if they price their Scrambler at the same price or higher than the Honda's people may not be as inclined to putting their money down for the little Triumph.

Back