• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Triumph Speed 400 and Scrambler 400 X

LOL! You can take out the cat, but it's still a dog!

My notes from when I swapped the exhaust on my Bonneville was that I knocked off under 7 lb. 7 lb with a 10 hp improvement to boot is nothing to sneeze at. For weight reduction, I also swapped on an alloy handlebar, swapped the rear shocks, removed the carbon canister and the air injection and every other thing I could find that didn't offer any measurable value in reliability or function, for probably for another 5-10 lb total weight reduction on the Bonnie. So that's a total weight loss without making functional changes of about 15-20 lb. My Scrambler is in similar condition, still a work in progress.

I'm sure with a similar kind of approach you could knock 15-20 lb off of one of those Triumph 400s. But getting more than 20 lb weight reduction is going to be difficult, expensive, and most likely involve functional changes you probably don't like, such as removing, or often cutting off, parts you actually would like to keep on there because they're useful.

Triumphs are expensive bikes to work on. Parts and accessories are all among the most expensive on the market. You can take off unnecessary stuff and maybe save 5 lb without paying a cent for it. But other than that, my math says it'll likely cost you about $100 for every lb you want to remove. Maybe your $600 aftermarket exhaust that reduces 6 lb is worth it since it comes with a performance increase above just the weight, and looks better. But after that, it starts to feel pretty expensive, especially on a brand new motorcycle that cost under $8K to start. If you don't mind voiding the warranty and venting fuel vapor into the air then 15 lb is probably on tap for the cost of the new exhaust. Then after that another 20-30 lb might be available at $100/lb. and some loss of function. Removing more than 45 lb total is going to require intense surgery, like fabricating a whole new chassis from aluminum or swapping the wheels for some handcrafted forged alloy track wheels that'll bend if you give them a harsh look.
I had a 2010 Tiger 1050 and it fell and bent a front brake rotor. It was pricy to order a new one through Lone Star in bid A. I remember about what you say about part prices. I loved that bike it could have flown if it had wings and that triple sounded sweet and was so smooth.
I got a 2014 1050 V Strom to replace it not even close to the charater of the Triumph. I have a feeling the 400 will out class others in its category.
Those fat mufflers with little pipes in the end just look weird to me. The DL1000 had one. Also all the fake chrome plates that cover them. Guess the days of just an exhaust are gone. I do like the finned exhaust connector to the cylinder. Reminds me of my '67 T 650. Now that was a real man's M/C. It came with titty grips.

F0EpOhwWAAEcjsZ?format=jpg&name=4096x4096.jpg

FYI. Regarding part prices, I have a few comments about my KTM 390 Adventure which was built by Baja in India; same as these Triumphs. First the vehicle registration and insurance card say Baja, not KTM, as manufacturer. Second, I've been pleasantly surprised that Baja parts are rather inexpensive when I look up body pieces online. I suspect KTM parts such as the instrument cluster will be expensive but parts made in India are inexpensive. Will these attributes apply to the Triumphs? I don't know but maybe...

Pricing had been announced for the Speed 400 in India. It sells for about $2,850. In comparison, the RE Hunter 350 (base model) sells for $1,850. No pricing on the Scrambler 400 yet as it will be launched later.

triumph-400-duo-launched-in-india-12.jpg

A quick math shows that if an Indian Hunter 350 is $1,850 and a US Hunter 350 is $3,999, then an Indian Speed 400 at $2,850 would mean a US Speed 400 at $6,150 (or so). Triumph might try $5,999 msrp?

So where will RE or Triumph make the most profit? I realize the shipping fees and possible import fees and just out of curiosity how much are they. I don't understand the math where a piece of metal and plastic doubles in price when it takes a trip. It has always been the case, If it was made here it would be even higher. It seems like it is more than the exchange rate of $ and really I could care less. Look at what pharmaceutical drugs cost in other countries compared to USA that will flip a person out.
I think it is all about supply and demand.
So even at probably $8000.00 out the door with fees and tax it seems competitive with big four here. I know the bottom line is supply and demand for any product.
gore-tx thanks sor your bike review information. I consider it much better and informative than most reviews. Don't you just love the reviews for motorcycles from India. Showing pictures of a Bonneville twin and reviewing the new 250 or 350 or 450 or 500 Triumph scrambler and giving a ride review a year before the launch :-?
What is that rear tire fencing on one side. So women passengers can ride side saddle in a dress?

Last edited:
Looks like Triumph sold 477 Speed 400 in July. It will be interesting to see what that number is for August since they claimed they had 10,000 bookings in 10 days.

Prices confirmed and listed on the Triumph website:

Wow! That's great pricing!

Less than I paid for my 390 Adventure. Competitive with Royal Enfield which I imagine is the most likely brand.

The KTM 390 adv has an amazing fit and finish from what I've seen of two I've been close to now. Never ridden one, but build quality looks really good. Not sure I'll ever be ready for a chino bike and if the Indians keep popping Sikh terrorists in Canada, I'll probably not want one of theirs either. Probably won't buy a Ural now either come to think of it. Guess holding states that get caught accountable is costing me my non binary bike purchasing diversity.

Best possible advertising Triumph could have done. Amazing job at Revzilla, I hope Triumph sells a whole bunch.

Wow, thanks for sharing this. Now I want to ride in India, but pretty sure my pulmonologist would not allow it :-)

Wow, thanks for sharing this. Now I want to ride in India, but pretty sure my pulmonologist would not allow it :-)
My thoughts exactly... I would need those little cans of pure oxygen, or maybe one of those portable oxygen concentrators so I could sound like Darth Vader when breathing.

One Indian website reports gas mileage for the Scrambler 400X. It comes out to 64 mpg.

I almost put a deposit on one but I would like to sit on one and I would rather wait than to purchase a bike that doesn't feel right.
If anyone hears of one on the floor please post up. Thanks

I almost put a deposit on one but I would like to sit on one and I would rather wait than to purchase a bike that doesn't feel right.
If anyone hears of one on the floor please post up. Thanks
Wouldn't the deposit be refundable?

Back